pedro calling it quits

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

letseatpaste

Postby letseatpaste » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:34 am

Thanks to this thread, when Dave says "vagina" now it doesn't seem so bad.
Knowledge is power... for real!

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:13 am

Why would you want Dave to change? Surely we are here because we seriously rate his songwriting talent. Its challenging, interestng and thought provoking. The world is not in need of another Killers CD. I really think that Dave is the best lyricist around.

The world will come around, but in the mean time you need to each find two people a week to get into PTL.

You have your target.

Go sell.

azza

Postby azza » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:24 pm

i mentioned Pedro to a guy last night at the Crooked Fingers gig. He said he was gunna check them out.
if it isnt penetration then it isnt worth a kiss

noah

Postby noah » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:02 pm

i wouldn't want one thing to change. ever.

but i also decided i would rather see ptl on mtv rather than never again.

BlindDeafDumb

Postby BlindDeafDumb » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:00 pm

Dave needs to start singing like someone just shot a syringe full of riddlin in to his heart, and then he needs to start playing with a gypsy orchestra that is out of tune. That said, I really don't think anyone is not into Pedro the Lion because the music is difficult to like. If anything, it's too easy to like. Negative Pitchfork hurts his credibility with the hipsters, who seem to be the gate keepers for what makes it in the MTV2 world, like Sujan or Wolf Parade. I have not listened to Achilles Heel lately, but that's because it didn't engage me. I actually think the Headphones album is more interesting and definately has will age well.

BTW take a band like Deerhoof or Sleater Kinney, now I think they are less accessible and that definately detracts from those who like them, although they have large followings.
We're moved around like circus clowns
When laughter's in demand

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:40 pm

oh really? Whenever I get my friends to pedro the always say that they adore the lyrics, but can't cope with the music despite wanting to hear more of the lyrics. It just grains on them or something.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Some of my friends some how started listening to achilles heel on their own and enjoyed it until they listened to the lyrics. they then decided it was too depressing and stopped listening to it. Many of my friends don't enjoy pedro for the same reason because it is depressing. they like how some of the music sounds but find the lyrics too much. maybe this is a common idea.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:08 pm

I think our friends are exact opposites.

Jai Massee

Postby Jai Massee » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:22 pm

I've also run into people thinkning the lyrics are depressing and some people find it annoying that Dave would seem to say things for shock value a little too often.

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:52 pm

the only serious problems i've ever run into are people being put off by the christian overtones. oddly enough.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:27 pm

sometimes it can be annoying.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:41 pm

Most people I know don't listen to Pedro because of the slow drums and the depessing voice.

I don't agree, ofcourse.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:02 am

cek wrote:yeah, it's hard to become mainstream when your lyric content is so unconventionally harsh, or vulgar, or depressing.

i'm just joking, (i meant the above part though), but david needs to take a lesson from death cab. when you want to sing about having sex, say stuff like " in the back of my grey subcompact" and "and we learned how our bodies worked" etc. instead of "i took my dick and put it in your vagina, and cum went everywhere, and i killed you. ba ba ba ba ba ba."

This was really funny.

I love Pedro, that's all I know. I hope they get big. Well, "indie" big.

BlindDeafDumb

Postby BlindDeafDumb » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:28 am

zaccus wrote:oh really? Whenever I get my friends to pedro the always say that they adore the lyrics, but can't cope with the music despite wanting to hear more of the lyrics. It just grains on them or something.

I don't see what would grain on them. I mean, there's nothing in Dave's music, especially It's Hard to Find A Friend or Control, that I've ever had to listen to repeatively because I found it unpleasant. Radiohead is probably more difficult to like because it requires a good deal of listening before one can enjoy it, plus they tend to change their sound. An album like Hail to the Thief is not full of your average pop songs, whereas Dave seems to have the ability to work well in that format. Take a song like "I Do": We have a fairly straightforward beat, an easy to follow melody, and it's over pretty quickly without any unnecessary parts or solos or unextended endings like Sufjan or a jam band might have. Winners Never Quit is definately not as easily consumed, taken the narrative and the varying musical types.

Second Best is another song that I liked on first listen, because they rock the shit out of the ending and it's a really strong build up. It's the only time it's ever really done, except maybe a live version of Bad Diary Days, but maybe not the album version.

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:52 am

my friends don't like normal pop songs though, that's the problem.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”