religions / worldviews

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

sherpa141

Re: religions / worldviews

Postby sherpa141 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:42 am

Somebody Told I Wasn't Going To Heaven Because I'm Not Baptized. I Think That Is Completely Wrong. There's A Ton Of People That Believe In Different Ways On To Heaven. I Think It's Ridiculous That You Have To Be A Certain Religion To Go To Heaven. That's Completely Wrong.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

torn_aclu

Postby torn_aclu » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:18 am

I pretty much believe all the same things that I believed back in 2007, although I don't care to go back and read through this thread again. I might go about explaining my beliefs or arguing for them in a different way though.

I still do lurk on this board from time to time.

Merry Christmas!

equality7-2521

Postby equality7-2521 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:59 pm

loose dates
1986-2001 hardcore xian. started listening to pedro the lion toward the end of this period
2002-04 some sort of leftish xian who wasn't sure if he believed any more.
2005-12 objectivist - ayn rander.
2013 present. somewhat libertarian and agnostic. seems like a lot worldviews can be right about something at a particular point in time. no one seems to be right all of the time.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:33 am

I just try and be a good dad, husband, son, brother, friend, and teacher. The rest will work itself out.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

corey

Postby corey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Mattmon wrote:I just try and be a good dad, husband, son, brother, friend, and teacher. The rest will work itself out.
This is how I live my life now.

faz

Postby faz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:01 am

corey wrote:
Mattmon wrote:I just try and be a good dad, husband, son, brother, friend, and teacher. The rest will work itself out.

i am failing in most of these areas

ansible

Re:

Postby ansible » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:49 pm

ansible wrote:I think I'm too confused to really explain in detail. Suffice it to say that I'm a Christian, and my doubts are not about the existence of God, but rather the nature and reality of man's relationship with God.

Seven years later, the quest continues in earnest satisfaction.
when I was a boy
everything was right

faz

Postby faz » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:00 am

Staunch atheist

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:34 pm

faz wrote:Staunch atheist

seconded
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:34 pm

I was pretty uncertain about everything when this thread started. Now I'm even moreso...

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:33 pm

ansible wrote:
ansible wrote:I think I'm too confused to really explain in detail. Suffice it to say that I'm a Christian, and my doubts are not about the existence of God, but rather the nature and reality of man's relationship with God.

Seven years later, the quest continues in earnest satisfaction.
corey wrote:

I relate to these sentiments. I find that certainty in metaphysical/spiritual areas is something that I just can't bring myself to lie to myself about (although someone, maybe a Christian or even a Zen Buddhist, could say, "well uncertainty is its own form of certainty...blah blah.") Having a kid of my own now sort of forces me to let go of the existential crisis aspect of my early to mid-20s, and just smile at sunny days and good songs and baby's first steps and such.

But being a good person, continuing some kind of quest for a kind of higher understanding of my purpose on this planet without ascribing too much cosmic value to my own ego... this is, for me, what it's all about now. I do find myself bristling at the whole seemingly evangelistic wing of certain highly celebrated atheists these days who so easily blame many of the world's problems on religion. While I would after a couple of drinks call myself an atheist, I happen to think that human greed and suffering exist independently of religious ideologies. Then again, the mega church my parents so proudly attend makes me nauseous, but they are good parents and I love them. They did their best for me.

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:45 am

zach2000 wrote:But being a good person, continuing some kind of quest for a kind of higher understanding of my purpose on this planet without ascribing too much cosmic value to my own ego... this is, for me, what it's all about now. I do find myself bristling at the whole seemingly evangelistic wing of certain highly celebrated atheists these days who so easily blame many of the world's problems on religion. While I would after a couple of drinks call myself an atheist, I happen to think that human greed and suffering exist independently of religious ideologies. Then again, the mega church my parents so proudly attend makes me nauseous, but they are good parents and I love them. They did their best for me.

Yes of course the world wouldn't be perfect if there were no religion. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying to themselves. There are still shitty people (even though I think most people inherently want to do good). I think one of the main problems is religious-type belief. Unwavering belief in ANYTHING is dangerous. If everyone were willing/able to change their minds in light of evidence instead of irrationally holding on to past beliefs because of this or that reason or feeling I think we'd make a lot of progress.
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:09 pm

soonersrule07 wrote:
Yes of course the world wouldn't be perfect if there were no religion. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying to themselves. There are still shitty people (even though I think most people inherently want to do good). I think one of the main problems is religious-type belief. Unwavering belief in ANYTHING is dangerous. If everyone were willing/able to change their minds in light of evidence instead of irrationally holding on to past beliefs because of this or that reason or feeling I think we'd make a lot of progress.

Agreed. I'm all for evidence-based approaches to reality. I happen to live in the Bible belt, so I'm constantly around believers. I don't argue with them unless absolutely necessary, like when they start bashing people for being homosexual or something. I would lose my mind if I tried to talk sense into people who think the Earth is 6000 years old.

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”