PTL/DB/Headphones Tribute Album

News, updates and suggestions relating to ptl.org

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

noah

Postby noah » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:26 pm

meandthesea wrote:
noah wrote:
EricBenjaminBach wrote:
noah wrote:sorry, ive been away. i was in the emergency room this weekend...

shit man, what happened?

within an hour i went from 98.6 to 103.4. Doc thought it might be spiral meningitis, but luckily it wasn't (from what i've heard about spinal taps i was glad i didn't have to partake). I guess it ended up being a strep throat and flu combination that was really kicking my ass. i'm still recovering (i almost passed out in the shower this morning), and if my neck gets stiff i have to go in for a spinal tap.

Shit man, I hope you get better. my sister had menongitis when we were in jr high. t was wicked scary, she blacked out three times in the 25 minute drive to the emergency room.

that is scary. i geuss if you can touch your chin to your chest you don't have it. which i was able to do. thanks though. the antiobiotics are starting to kick in slowly but surely...

mprovojr

Postby mprovojr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:25 am

glad you're doing better noah...

so no theme. does this have to be a song we write specifically for the compilation, or can it be just anything we've written and recorded that we like?
I'm surprised this place still exists.

mprovojr

Postby mprovojr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 am

EBB, you impress me.

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 am

The key thing doesn't really work. I don't think a lot of people can here the excact key just from a song, and second, every key has it's parallel fifth so half of it can be/will be double.

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:05 am

you could just do the keys from the song's key's original major scale
I got two turntables and a microphone

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:16 am

EricBenjaminBach wrote:If by parallel fifth you mean that every key has a dominant V, and often resolves to V through a secondary dominant of some kind, then you're right. However, a digression resolving on V doesn't necessarily establish a new key area. So there wouldn't be a doubling so much as a sharing of dominants.

No, I mean that every major key has a parallel minor key. For instance C majors' relative minor is A minor. They share the same key signature but a different tonic, as opposed to parallel minor or major, respectively. For example, G major and E minor both have a single sharp in their key signature; so we say that E minor is the relative minor of G major. The relative minor of a major key always has a tonic a minor third lower.

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:11 pm

:lol: I also love music theory, but no one is going to write a song in F#/Gb---no eb/d# minor---Eb/D# major.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mprovojr

Postby mprovojr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:20 am

yeah... for those of us who hardly know any music theory... that was like, WTF are you talking about? :lol:

brothermatt

Postby brothermatt » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:25 am

advanced music theory possesses the supernatural power to remove the fun and pleasure from music. bleaugh.

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:55 am

brothermatt wrote:advanced music theory possesses the supernatural power to remove the fun and pleasure from music. bleaugh.

Not always. After reading The Nine Tailors, by Dorothy L. Sayers, I got into change ringing, and there can be a real revelation in the order sometimes. My dorky music composition roommates have gotten me into things like Phase music and other method-is-form styles of composition that have also been opportunities for really satisfying ways of hearing. I mean, yeah, talking about theory can be a drag, but the discipline to follow a specific approach to theory can also open up new ways of creating and hearing your own stuff.

On Topic:
I would put a vote in for theme-based contributions that have a lot of flexibility like "Songs Inspired by Movies" or "My Favorite Fictional Character Speaks"--something that combines a thematic approach, but is still rooted in something particular from each contributor. Or even "Soundtracks to YouTube"--a "Darkside of Oz"-style approach--where each song corresponds to a YouTube video of your choosing with the sound muted, so we can see the "music video" for each song as we listen. The sky's the limit, really.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

TheAmateurMarriage

Postby TheAmateurMarriage » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:06 am

brothermatt wrote:advanced music theory possesses the supernatural power to remove the fun and pleasure from music. bleaugh.

:!:

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:29 am

Bullshit.

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:42 am

I kind of agree with BroMatt on this. I know a pretty substantial amount of music theory, and I mostly try to ignore it and use my ears, except in a few select circumstances.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

mprovojr

Postby mprovojr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:18 am

i took one class on music theory, enough to show me how much i don't know. i wish i knew more... but there's so much more to learn, it is daunting. i don't think it detracts from being able to appreciate music. i think it gives you more faculties through which to appreciate it... ?

theburris

Postby theburris » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:02 pm

I have a friend that is a Composition major and is getting his masters. The thing is, he likes all kinds of music that most of the other students and faculty would agree to be trite and boring. A lot of them listen to classical and talk about how modern music is shit. I think that sucks. What you need is a good medium. Theory is good to use, but it can be like a man that knows the Bible inside and out but has no faith. You got to have knowledge and soul, brothers.

Return to “pedrothelion.org”