Problem with new user registration

News, updates and suggestions relating to ptl.org

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

ansible

Problem with new user registration

Postby ansible » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:04 pm

So recently I've been trying to get ahold of Mattmon because I've talked to a number of people who can't register an account here at dot org because they never get their confirmation email when they sign up. I was actually asked, "Is no one monitoring that?" So I asked Matt about it and asked if there was a way I could help out with that process, since I know we now manually approve new users due to spambots.

Anyway, Matt has probably just been busy, so it's taken a few weeks for us to exchange two messages. Basically he told me he doesn't have time to filter through the spambot registrations and the real new user registrations so he just doesn't do it. Matt said he would reach out to Jacob to find a way to make this easier, but pointed out that it's pretty hard to get ahold of Jacob. Apparently I offended Matt by telling him it's hard to get ahold of him too (since he sometimes goes weeks without even visiting the board), because all I got back was a one-line reply about turning off the requirements for new users to be approved.

My goal here was to find out why our last real new user (MichaelCype) signed up in February 2014 - until today, when Matt unleashed the spambots on us again (I've already banned one and deleted its posts).

Matt, this is stupid to have to make public, but what gives? I thought we cared about this community. Why create more problems by allowing the spambots back in when you say you don't have the time to deal with them? Why won't you even have a normal conversation with me about this?
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Re: Problem with new user registration

Postby ansible » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:05 pm

I should not have made this issue public.

I am closing this thread. Any replies should be directed to Mattmon.
when I was a boy
everything was right

jacob
Founder & Chairman

Re: Problem with new user registration

Postby jacob » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:47 am

My... god!

Mattmon has pushed for me to improve this previously, and I've only ever returned some basic results at best. It's me, not him.

I've turned on some better spambot protection and if that works out I'll re-enable confirmation emails for new members as well. Otherwise bots are great at responding to account-enable emails and PTL.org would be be flooded in hours.

Thanks for helping to care for the community, ansible.

Back into my cave...

Return to “pedrothelion.org”