Getting Logged Out

News, updates and suggestions relating to ptl.org

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

FatalWound

Getting Logged Out

Postby FatalWound » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Does anybody else have the problem with being arbitrarily logged out even when the Keep Me Signed In box is checked? It honestly is probably one of the reasons I post less than I used to. I would say I probably get logged out once a week, at least.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

ansible

Re: Getting Logged Out

Postby ansible » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:17 am

It does happen to me occasionally. What browser do you use? Are you not saving your user/password to be autofilled?

Also if you don't want to save it directly in the browser you can switch to a password manager like LastPass or KeyPass or 1Pass. I used to hate the idea but I paid for LastPass and it's been worth every dime. Installs as a browser plugin, requires a password to access the vault, but will autofill user/pass fields really easily.
when I was a boy
everything was right

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:43 pm

It happens in Chrome, almost weekly. And no, I don't save autofill.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Ok, I've been looking into this a bit. The default expiry date for the phpbb cookie that gets created when you check "Keep Me Logged In" or whatever is 1 year. Unless this has been changed it should still be set that way.

When you're on one of the forum pages, right click it and choose "Inspect Element". Expand the side panel a little, and choose the "Resources" tab at the top. Navigate down to "Cookies" and expand the tree view. Should see a nested "www.pedrothelion.org" value there. Click it and expand the panel further so you can read the columns. There's a column called "Expires / Max-Age" - what's the largest value of this column for the four rows there, i.e., what is the date value that is farthest in the future (ignoring "Session")?

If you want to get your hands a little dirty, PM me and I'll show you how to go through the Chrome Cookie database with SQLite and we can compare data, which may be useful.

If all of that is normal...are you posting from home or from work when this happens? If it's at work does this happen on other sites? Any chance they're refreshing cookie data in the browsers every so often?
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “pedrothelion.org”