Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

jac

Re: About the bots...

Postby jac » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am

Done? We're just getting started!

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Mattmon wrote:I apologize for not responding earlier. I responded to Srock on a similar topic via private message and forgot about this.

To be honest there are so few posts these days Spam or otherwise that I honestly just do not see a need to add additional mods.

If it becomes a real issue we can tackle it then.

Am I the minority here?

Forgot to respond to this. I honestly don't have any issues with your position and I'm cool with how things are. I think you do a great job. But in my mind, I guess, I think there should be at the very least _two_ mods that are semi-active, because then the board isn't screwed if the only mod is at a football game or on his honeymoon or anything like that. Jacob's been around off and on recently which makes me feel better, but in general, if you (Matty) disappear for any prolonged period of time (even a day or two), there is no one capable of fixing any problems with the board, and that's kind of a bad idea and a bit dangerous (like the Tabs forum getting completely wiped out - I think that qualifies as a "real issue"). And Jacob, may his name live forever, is still inconsistent in his appearance (nothing wrong with that, just trying to be factual). So, I'm still volunteering, but I'd be fine with someone else too. I just think that unless we have _a_ moderator checking in at least once a day, we are being irresponsible.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 pm

*bump*

JSmith

Postby JSmith » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:08 am

What bots?

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:07 am

.org hasn't been this active in years

jac

Postby jac » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 am

JSmith

Postby JSmith » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 am

It seems like we need a more in depth registration process. Like with the fancy topsy turvy letters.

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Maybe .org's time is over man. Not a lot is happening here nowadays anyway. Bob & Dave aren't using this anymore for news or updates, I guess twitter and Facebook fulfill that function now, websites that didn't exist/weren't popular when .org was created. Dave doesn't post. There are no big threads anymore. More people are leaving than joining. Hardly any drunk posts. Too much spamming bots. No stories about handheld audio appliances being inserted into crazy females. Dunno man. I like this place but it's dying, if not already dead.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:09 pm

^ I've been reluctant to admit it, but I think for the most part, you're probably right. The place really hasn't been the same since Curious Organs, Molly, Paste, Travis, Corndog, TIMOTHY, etc. all tossed in the towel. After regularly checking in here for over 10 years now, to talk about music, movies, religion, iPod Nanos, complain about the latest Damien "Cunt Sap" Jurado shenanigans, share wacky youtube videos, create compilation CD's, collectively throw tomatoes at godawful PTL cover videos, and watch Molly pick fights over politics with everyone who's ever joined our little community, I'd hate for us all to just go our separate ways and lose touch completely. Maybe we just need to evolve with the times and start up a Dot Org facebook group or something, and let the bots finally burn the place down... (?)

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:08 am

The way other many other forums that have survived have had to go is with manual mod approval for every new user signup. Because software really just can't stay out ahead of the spambots for very long, unfortunately.

I will think it's pretty disappointing if we break up the band, so to speak. That said, there is very little chance I will contribute to a FB group with any kind of regularity.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 pm

FatalWound wrote:The way other many other forums that have survived have had to go is with manual mod approval for every new user signup. Because software really just can't stay out ahead of the spambots for very long, unfortunately.

I will think it's pretty disappointing if we break up the band, so to speak. That said, there is very little chance I will contribute to a FB group with any kind of regularity.

I don't have facebook or twitter so if this board dies part of my soul will die too. Shit, I'll start making drunk posts once a week if that's what it takes. There is something very special and hidden about this board that will be entirely exposed and destroyed if it migrates to the 10000000+ member "I <3 DAVID BAZAN" facebook group. Sharing taped shows? Gone. Getting mp3 links in PMs? Gone. Seeing dave post cool shit and talk? Gone. People telling me to shut the fuck up? Gone.

Fuck twitter and fuck facebook and God if I don't miss the days when you only had BBS and IRC.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:39 pm

ansible wrote:
FatalWound wrote:The way other many other forums that have survived have had to go is with manual mod approval for every new user signup. Because software really just can't stay out ahead of the spambots for very long, unfortunately.

I don't have facebook or twitter so if this board dies part of my soul will die too. Shit, I'll start making drunk posts once a week if that's what it takes. There is something very special and hidden about this board that will be entirely exposed and destroyed if it migrates to the 10000000+ member "I <3 DAVID BAZAN" facebook group. Sharing taped shows? Gone. Getting mp3 links in PMs? Gone. Seeing dave post cool shit and talk? Gone. People telling me to shut the fuck up? Gone.

Fuck twitter and fuck facebook and God if I don't miss the days when you only had BBS and IRC.

SHUT THE FUCK UP ANSIBLE. Dave ate TW, for chrissakes.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:07 am

Soo... maybe ban the accounts as well?

brothermatt

Postby brothermatt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:23 am

while i don't check in often, i too will be sad if it's all gone. more bummed than is reasonable, in fact.

oh, and speaking of sharing mp3s . . . hypothetically, if i happened to have made an audio copy of the sacred heart recording of wolves at the door that dave and andy did, is that the kind of thing i could share or should i hypothetically delete it from my hypothetical computer?

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:30 am

brothermatt wrote:while i don't check in often, i too will be sad if it's all gone. more bummed than is reasonable, in fact.

oh, and speaking of sharing mp3s . . . hypothetically, if i happened to have made an audio copy of the sacred heart recording of wolves at the door that dave and andy did, is that the kind of thing i could share or should i hypothetically delete it from my hypothetical computer?

Hypothetically, I would sincerely appreciate said hypothetical .mp3 as I am sure it is a hypothetically glorious rendition of a great song. But, the board would have to you, you know, exist.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “pedrothelion.org”