House show dates (2019)

Postby ansible » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:35 am

March 9 : Sacramento CA
March 10 : Flagstaff AZ
March 11 : El Paso TX
March 16 : Lubbock TX
March 17 : Ft Collins CO
March 18 : Missoula MT

Man that's not a bad loop to drive around the U.S. Excited for the dynamic change.
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Re: House show dates (2019)

Postby ansible » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Good show in CO. The atmosphere was chill, pretty full house. He totally played a new song that I completely forgot to ask him about, it just had some different quality about it, I was mesmerized. And a couple that I had not heard in a long time that sounded fresh (Please Baby Please was so good it almost hurt). Strange Negotiations really had a punch behind it, too.

I also enjoyed how he translated to the guitar. He's playing a lot of softer / dissonant chord shapes almost all the time, which sounds great - for example, C -> D is always played C over G and then up 2 frets, rather than traditional chord fingering. He played Big Trucks, but in a really open, bluesy E, still keeping the guitar solos in the lower notes. In fact it was maybe my favorite performance of him playing Big Trucks, it was just new and good and felt right. Dave had the number on that tune and again the chord structures were used to great effect.

I know Dave doesn't necessarily love playing the guitar but it is really a treat to hear, every time.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Nice review, Ansi. Hated to miss it.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:01 am

Missed you, sherps. Next time, man.

Dave also played Cold Beer and Cigs and it was so good I can't even tell you the last time it was this good. You hear "I'll get to where I'm going pretty soon" with real passion, a new passion.

I like the bridge, I think it's an incredible musical moment, and because of that I have very strong opinions on it. Dave's sung it so many different ways over 15 years, it is hard to find a version I dislike. I will say though that seeing it live is my favorite way to hear it, period, and in my darkest fantasies I have in my mind the perfect performances that can never be.

This was right after a perfect "what a cruel God we've got", and he opened his eyes to say it, like he meant all of it. I got to see the tension in that line again. It's desperate, it's an accusation, it demands a reply. I find it so interesting to watch Dave intentionally struggle with singing lines like this.

It was just the best. I think he was going to sing falsetto and changed his mind to a lower register and just slowed down. This is what I have always waited for. A full, rich croon that wandered slowly, a free-form rubato that follows the emotion of the song's moment that just can't exist when played straight (and trust me when I say the acoustic demo is still one of my favorite recordings). He slowed down when he needed to, when the song's melody demanded it. He let it play itself, almost, and the slow, meandering, worshipful "right on" brings amazing, interrupting resolution. I love love loved it.

I want to hear it again but I stopped recording house shows a few years ago for some reason.

Also dot org is dead. Long live dot org.

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 am

ansible wrote:He let it play itself, almost, and the slow, meandering, worshipful "right on" brings amazing, interrupting resolution. I love love loved it.

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 am

ansible wrote:Missed you, sherps. Next time, man.

Dave also played Cold Beer and Cigs and it was so good I can't even tell you the last time it was this good. You hear "I'll get to where I'm going pretty soon" with real passion, a new passion.

I like the bridge, I think it's an incredible musical moment, and because of that I have very strong opinions on it. Dave's sung it so many different ways over 15 years, it is hard to find a version I dislike. I will say though that seeing it live is my favorite way to hear it, period, and in my darkest fantasies I have in my mind the perfect performances that can never be.

This was right after a perfect "what a cruel God we've got", and he opened his eyes to say it, like he meant all of it. I got to see the tension in that line again. It's desperate, it's an accusation, it demands a reply. I find it so interesting to watch Dave intentionally struggle with singing lines like this.

It was just the best. I think he was going to sing falsetto and changed his mind to a lower register and just slowed down. This is what I have always waited for. A full, rich croon that wandered slowly, a free-form rubato that follows the emotion of the song's moment that just can't exist when played straight (and trust me when I say the acoustic demo is still one of my favorite recordings). He slowed down when he needed to, when the song's melody demanded it. He let it play itself, almost, and the slow, meandering, worshipful "right on" brings amazing, interrupting resolution. I love love loved it.

I want to hear it again but I stopped recording house shows a few years ago for some reason.

Also dot org is dead. Long live dot org.

dude, yes. I think this pretty much nails how I feel about the song too. Like you, I haven't heard a bad version. The "what a cruel God we've got" line has always hit me pretty hard as well. Even though I remember reading in an interview a while ago that Dave said something along the lines of it being a childish "fuck you" from a pissed off naive person attributing every bad thing to a malevolent creator, sometimes it seems like it's much more genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqb9Og6l8sQ <- that's always been one of my favorite versions
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

Return to “Tour and shows”