Someone review an xmas show

Tour info, shows and experiences.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

paulhewson

Someone review an xmas show

Postby paulhewson » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:16 pm

None of the tour comes close to me. So looking for concert review.

steelopus

Re: Someone review an xmas show

Postby steelopus » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Seriously. Anyone?
Can we get a setlist at least?

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 pm

I'll be at the Portland show tomorrow night. I'll post a review after. I'm super stoked that Advance Base is opening; two of my favorite song writers.
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:41 am

So I went last night to see the Christmas Miracle Show at Revolution Hall in Portland. It was pretty amazing, as always. Owen Ashworth is one of my favorite songwriters so I was stoked to see him open and he did not disappoint. He played a lot from his most recent album "Nephew in the Wild" and mixed in a good number of his own Christmas songs. The man is pretty brilliant.

Bazan then played, using an acoustic guitar running through an amp. He started by saying this was a Christmas show but really it was a show about politics and he wanted everyone to be safe but to feel free to work out their shit together. Here is the set which he said was very intentional and he wouldn't take requests or change it up. He worked many of the songs straight into each other and said, "I guess I'm into making medleys now."

All I Want for Christmas
New Song
I Wish My Kids Were Here
Hard to Be
People
Silent Night
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Wolves at the Door
Strange Negotiations
All I Want for Christmas
Trouble With Boys
Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Hallelujah
Little Motor

Some notable comments: when asked if there was a silver lining to Trump, Bazan said, "my songs make more sense now." He also spoke a lot about just being good people and taking care of each other. He did rail on Bob Dylan for being the best songwriter ever but a shitty person for running away from the protest scene and just focusing on making money. Bazan's answer seemed to be that we need better heroes and his heroes are "Ian Mackaye; Jessica Hopper; and David Dark." He was high as fuck which I think makes the shows very delightful these days, though he did get off on a tangent about "punching the principal in the dick" but my partner and I had no idea what that was about. As has been said on the board before, he's planning on staying home most of 2017 and releasing a lot of music. He said Lo Tom sounds like a rock band trying to get played on KROQ in 1996 and he jokingly hoped that they'd make a shit ton of money with the band and quit their day jobs.

Overall, it was an amazing night of anger, despair, catharsis, healing, hope, and love. I couldn't ask for anything more.
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you!

shadedpain4

Postby shadedpain4 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:18 am

I was at the show last night as well. Spot on review, thanks for taking the time to write it. Really one of my favorite Bazan shows. Set list was right up our alley, and he was really on all night, musically and personally.

I don't suppose anyone recorded it?
Last edited by shadedpain4 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:48 am

Great review! Thanks for posting it.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:41 pm

I wonder if he'll do these annually or this will be the only tour?

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 am

paulhewson wrote:I wonder if he'll do these annually or this will be the only tour?

I'm betting he is only touring to support the album release. I doubt we'll ever see another true "Christmas song" tour.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “Tour and shows”