San Diego, 8/20

Tour info, shows and experiences.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

ansible

San Diego, 8/20

Postby ansible » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:00 am

Anyone else going to be at the show? I don't think I've seen Dave play in CA before. If anyone is going it'd be cool to get some dot org dudes together and hang.
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Re: San Diego, 8/20

Postby ansible » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:34 am

Have to write more later, but this was easily one of, if not the best show I have seen Dave play. The performance was just unbeatable. I have to say that my favorite medium in which Dave plays is solo electric. He can go from rocking out or shouting loud to quiet whispers or slow fingerpicking. The dynamic range of the electric guitar paired with his voice is just incredible, and I prefer it to a full band or solo acoustic or even pure synths. And he wasn't even using any pedals. Everything just sounded amazing.

Also, he played a new song, Care; planning to release a new EP in January. I hesitate to quote it because I'm sure I will not get the line correct and there was context, but it was something about remembering or how something felt, and how it was "like if we had brother back". Best comparison I can make is the line in Trouble With Boys - "your stepbrother swears that it has / nothing to do with your dad". Anyway, it was unexpected and hit like a blow and I cried through the rest of the song.

Setlist:

Both Hands
With You
Kept Secrets
Cold Beer and Cigs
When They Really Get To Know You
Bands With Managers
Q&A 1
Someone Else's Bet
Options
Care (new song)
Hard To Be
Oblivion
I Never Wanted You
Trouble With Boys
Q&A 2
Big Trucks
Q&A 3
Little Motor

So the only tracks from Blanco he didn't play were Little Landslides, Teardrops, and Over Again, but there's just nothing to complain about with the setlist. Oblivion and I Never Wanted You back to back? Unbelievable. Also, he played a longer version of Little Motor to close the show by extending the end for a few extra minutes. And the only reason I got to see this show - this tour, even - is cause my wife surprised me with tickets as an early birthday gift. Hard to get better than this.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:39 am

So awesome, man. Thanks for taking the time to post all of that, not to mention your recent retrospective of the last few years. Sorry I haven't responded to that, but I found it beautiful and appreciated it.

Welcome to Colorado! I hope it's everything you need right now.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:08 pm

He played "Care" last night in LA and mentioned the EP in January. ("But that's just a promise. And you know what Fugazi says about promises: 'Stupid fucking words.'")

Later, some woman asked him if, since he said he's only writing songs that make him cry now, if most of his future material will be about cheating. Dave said no, and made a point to clarify that Care is technically about not cheating.

At one point his G string broke so he did an acoustic version of Strange Negotiations sitting on the steps up to the stage as we all crowded around.

Later he closed the set with two more acoustic songs. One was Trouble With Boys. I didn't cry, promise.

corey

Postby corey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 pm

ansible wrote:I have to say that my favorite medium in which Dave plays is solo electric.
YES

Return to “Tour and shows”