Jacksonville 8/4

Tour info, shows and experiences.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

timothy

Jacksonville 8/4

Postby timothy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:21 am

Seeing Dave tonight with Michael Nau (been a big fan since Hello, Dear Wind).

I've only seen Dave once which was at Cornerstone(Orlando) many years ago with TW Walsh, so really excited to see him tonight.

Will let everyone know how the show goes. Cheers!

timothy

Re: Jacksonville 8/4

Postby timothy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:23 am

Pretty great show. Had a chance to meet and grab a drink with Michael Nau before the show at a local bar; which was very cool.

His set and Dave's were a nice contrast to each other.

My highlights:
Bands with Managers felt so familiar,nostalgic, and very satisfying.
New song Dave played that apparently only one person had heard before that sounded very good. Dave said new album in January or February which I believe he said might be, "quiter," or something to that effect, paraphrasing.
Oblivion
Options was well-received.
Very old song I didn't recognize that he said he hadn't played since maybe - 2002? I wish I had drank a little less so I could remember a little more clearly.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 am

timothy wrote:Pretty great show. Had a chance to meet and grab a drink with Michael Nau before the show at a local bar; which was very cool.

His set and Dave's were a nice contrast to each other.

My highlights:
Bands with Managers felt so familiar,nostalgic, and very satisfying.
New song Dave played that apparently only one person had heard before that sounded very good. Dave said new album in January or February which I believe he said might be, "quiter," or something to that effect, paraphrasing.
Oblivion
Options was well-received.
Very old song I didn't recognize that he said he hadn't played since maybe - 2002? I wish I had drank a little less so I could remember a little more clearly.

SETLIST! :P Just kidding.

Dave has been talking about making a slower acoustic/fingerpicking-style album for awhile. I remember one house show at SRock's place in ATX (actually, that show and hanging out in the kitchen afterward....that was epic, much came from that night). This was just pre-Strange Negotiations release. And he talked about doing several different types of albums - something more Headphones-y (this looks like it became Vol. 1+2/Blanco), something slow with a lot of fingerpicking (?), and something more rock and roll (I'm imagining tracks like Island/Ocean and Disappearing Ink, but maybe this became Overseas or something).

I am dying to see him on the Blanco tour but with the move and the kid I just don't know if I will be able to make it. :( Will be the first major tour of his I've missed in a long time. Who knows, maybe something will work out...

Glad the show was great and you had a good time, man.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:02 am

I thought Timothy was saying the album might be titled "Quitter."

:oops:
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:41 am

sherpa141 wrote:I thought Timothy was saying the album might be titled "Quitter."

Winners never quit. ;)
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:45 am

Whiners Never Quiet.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

timothy

Postby timothy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:33 pm

ansible wrote:

Dave has been talking about making a slower acoustic/fingerpicking-style album for awhile. I remember one house show at SRock's place in ATX (actually, that show and hanging out in the kitchen afterward....that was epic, much came from that night). This was just pre-Strange Negotiations release. And he talked about doing several different types of albums - something more Headphones-y (this looks like it became Vol. 1+2/Blanco), something slow with a lot of fingerpicking (?), and something more rock and roll (I'm imagining tracks like Island/Ocean and Disappearing Ink, but maybe this became Overseas or something).

I am dying to see him on the Blanco tour but with the move and the kid I just don't know if I will be able to make it. :( Will be the first major tour of his I've missed in a long time. Who knows, maybe something will work out...

Thanks. I would love to hear a fingerpickin'-style album from Dave. He's due for something a little quiet, imo.

I would definitely recommend trying to get out and see him if you can (although I don't need to tell you that), the new songs are pretty great with just Dave and an electric guitar (although again, I would also love to see a full band).

I also would say Dave seemed like a pretty happy dude, overall. Comparatively to Michael Nau, who I don't think said a single word during their set outside of "...thanks" at the end. Pretty big contrast between the two and I think it was pretty clear to see that Dave has really become a good commander of an audience and an entertainer, as opposed to just a guy with a guitar.

timothy

Postby timothy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 pm

sherpa141 wrote:I thought Timothy was saying the album might be titled "Quitter."

Shit, woops. *Quieter

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:38 am

timothy wrote:
ansible wrote:

Thanks. I would love to hear a fingerpickin'-style album from Dave. He's due for something a little quiet, imo.

I would definitely recommend trying to get out and see him if you can (although I don't need to tell you that), the new songs are pretty great with just Dave and an electric guitar (although again, I would also love to see a full band).

I also would say Dave seemed like a pretty happy dude, overall. Comparatively to Michael Nau, who I don't think said a single word during their set outside of "...thanks" at the end. Pretty big contrast between the two and I think it was pretty clear to see that Dave has really become a good commander of an audience and an entertainer, as opposed to just a guy with a guitar.

Well I was going to suck it up and suffer in silence, but my wife apparently knows me well, so for my birthday she surprised me and we are going to San Diego next weekend. And of course, she has tickets to the Dave show on Saturday night.

\o/
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “Tour and shows”