Chicago 5/20/15

Tour info, shows and experiences.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

Mattmon
Site Admin

Chicago 5/20/15

Postby Mattmon » Wed May 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Just got back from the second Chicago House Show. Very solid stuff! I can't even remember the last time I went to a bazan show.... how time flies when you become a parent! First I trade in my insight for an SUV and my single speed for a hybrid and now I can't even remember the last time I went to a show... I think I was "cool" once. Maybe?

I got to the show around 7:15pm after sitting through bumper to bumper traffic on 94. The show was in a really neat three story house in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago and hosted by a nice dude also named Matt. I sat down with my sixer of homebrews and read the news and waited for the show to begin.

Promptly at 8PM Dave and Yuuki came in and set up their gear and went wasted no time getting started. After a couple of headphones tunes, I awkwardly gave Dave and Yuuki each one of my slighlty warm homebrewed Belgian-style Blondes... Hopefully they enjoyed them...

The show consisted of mostly headphones tracks played by the two of them on synths, but also included a number of Dave's recent solo material played on a traveler acoustic guitar. THe headphones arrangements felt classic but fresh and Dave definitely jazzed up the vocal melodies a lot. As always I was very impressed by Daves ability to sing and play multiple melodies at the same time. My only complaint is that they only played 75 minutes. I would have been happy sitting on that hardwood floor for quite a bit longer. Stand out tunes were wiseblood, Hello Operator, I never wanted you, Pink and Brown, animals, little landslides, and slow car crash. Most of the Q&A consisted of questions about the recording process and Religion/ old tunes. I thought I was funny and asked if he would be playing Promise after the religious questions...

It was so much fun to finally hear wiseblood live. I have always felt it was one of the best songs on the Headphones album and not sure why it was not given more love. At the show Dave once again discussed how the headphones album was a failure. I will never understand this. That album is constantly completing for my favorite of Dave's albums. Wonder why they they took out " You stupid bitch" from hello operator. Always felt the Six Parts Seven verision had a bit more umph! because of it.

Animals and little landslides sounded really nice stripped down. Little Landslides came out the month my daughter was born and has a special place in my heart. I've spent a lot of time reflecting (stop and think..) on my successes and failures as a husband and father and now that I am almost 9 months into fatherhood I hope I'm doing okay. Would have loved to have heard With you and Trouble with boys. Trouble with boys again feels overly relatable having a girl and wanting the best for her.

Finally, dave ended the night with an acoustic version of slow car crash. Of course I was in the bathroom at the time, but it reminded me of the first time i heard it live at schubas with TW on drums/ sleighbell. Still brings a tear to my eye.

I had to rush out at the end of the show without chatting with Dave (would have loved to have caught up a bit), but I did get to awkwardly say hello to Owen from CTFTPA and tell Yuuki how much I loved Romance on my way out the door (My first Bazan show was PTL, Scientific and Seldom like 15yrs ago.crazy)

Goodnight.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

Mattmon
Site Admin

Re: Chicago 5/20/15

Postby Mattmon » Thu May 21, 2015 4:09 am

Forgot to mention that Dave did the Five Chord solo acoustic. Was a treat.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:40 am

Mattmon wrote:Forgot to mention that Dave did the Five Chord solo acoustic. Was a treat.

He did this in Minneapolis too, was fantastic.
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu May 28, 2015 8:44 am

Awesome. So looking forward to this tour.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “Tour and shows”