With U
Cold Beer, Cigarettes
Little Landslides
Shit Talker
Priest, Paramedics
S-Negs

In attendance: Hyacinth Thrash, Bro Matt, Sherps, friends, wives, lovers
Grade: A+
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

sherpa141

Re: BAZAN + PSQ, Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw, NC - 10/26/1

Postby sherpa141 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 am

As is the custom, someone was appointed to ask what has come to be known as the "Headphones Question" during the first Q&A ("When is the next Headphones record going to come out?"). Bazan gave the normative reply ("never"), but added some additional detail ("When we put out the Headphones record, I was used to my albums selling about 50,000 copies, and thought this one would sell maybe a few thousand less; it actually sold about 1,500 or 2,000 total. We went out on the road and thought we'd have some fun, people would show up ... we were sorely mistaken. My wife said 'never again.'"). In the second (or third) Q&A, another question prompted Dave to realize that he should have mentioned earlier that the Headphones record turns 10 next year and that he "has to go play it cover to cover" on tour to commemorate that. How fucking cool is that?

Other stuff:

-"There's a lot of noise in the marketplace."
-"Lotta strands in ol' duder's head."
-Dave hates "Please Baby Please" and didn't want to play it because he felt good and if he played it he would feel bad, although it will almost certainly appear on BAZAN+PSQ Vol. 2 in order to "honor the hard work" that PSQ leader Andrew Joslyn put into arranging it. "Hard to Be," "Shit Talker," and maybe "With You" and "Little Landslides" will also appear on the second volume, and Joslyn has recently/almost completed an arrangement of "Up and Coming Monarchs."
-Dave and PSQ had an off day in Carrboro/Chapel Hill on Monday (10/27/14) and Bazan used the day to, among other things, record and "pretty much finish" an upcoming Bazan monthly track.
-"I'm fucking 38, motherfuckers, I don't have to do what anyone tells me to."
-Just for the Haw River Ballroom show, the giant mirror ball mounted overhead in the space's high ceilings was turned on for "Priests and Paramedics."
-This has been covered before, but "Hot Girls" catalogues the inner-struggle resulting from Dave witnessing some of his musician buddies making a lot money with their tunes and then himself thinking "well, what if I just try to tweak this a little bit and sort of learn from what they're doing that's successful" and then his conscience coming in "fists blazing" and saying "NO MOTHERFUCKER SHUT THE FUCK UP" and settling on how rewarding it is to "make real shit." And if you're making music for "[women], money, fame," or other "fine, fine things ("dick")," you're "fucked" in the long run.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:02 am

The greatest thing about the "there was a lot of noise in the marketplace" riff was that it was the context in which he chose to cast the commercial failure of the Headphones album -- that the introduction of the Headphones name competed with the better-known Pedro name, diffused listener focus, etc, all of which is now gloriously solved by just calling all of it David Bazan -- but then without skipping a single beat he continued to roll out this endless Tolkeinian scroll of all of the current things he's working on (Overseas, Headphones Reunion, Bazan Monthly Vol 1, Bazan Monthly Vol 2, Strings, Re-record 10 Bazan Monthly songs as an album, etc), all of which could be characterized as diffusing the focus of the David Bazan name, and then gave this deadpan, "I work really hard."

And so I propose that we lobby hard for the Headphones 10 Year to be the Noise in the Marketplace Tour 2015, or maybe that we lobby for ALL 2015 touring to be billed as the Noise in the Marketplace Tour 2015, regardless of the moniker or material.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:23 pm

milk, Srock, and I saw the Austin show, which was equally amazing, and the first time they had ever played With You live (it's so dope).

I talked to Andrew afterward and can confirm that he was almost finished with the arrangement for Impermanent Record so I think we can expect to see that in the next batch of PSQ songs.

Asked Dave about the Headphones tour and he said he's pretty sure it's going to happen and that it will be every song front to back.

In short, total awesomeness abounds.
when I was a boy
everything was right

brothermatt

Postby brothermatt » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:59 pm

a friend of mine drove me to the venue, in saxaxahapapahaw, nc. though my navigation showed us the way, i saw no signs until we were on top of the ballroom and attached general store. the venue, beautiful. the lighting, perfect. the beer, crisp, fullbodied, and fresh from a durham brewery. a light fog enveloped the ballroom's grounds, and i could only faintly make out the tree lines beyond. the highway was quiet and bent out of sight in either direction.

the disco ball started spinning during priests & paramedics just as dave's voice swelled to "we're all gonna die; could be twenty years--could be tonight." i realized that i was then, in fact, and may now still be, dead. death isn't frightening, friends. it's quiet. david dondero is there. there's lots of plaid shirts with snaps, and beards that spill out of crewnecked collars.

and friends, let me tell you, heaven was different than you expected. there are headphones reunion tours, and pizzicato arrangements of "the fleecing" and promises of vinyl recorded from masters created in quality inn hotel rooms. and SHERPS and HT WERE THERE and we all talked, and we all smiled, and we all wondered why we hadn't found each other in so long, and then it was time to go.

i don't know what comes after heaven, but we couldn't stay for some reason. maybe my time on earth still holds something for me, but when i left, i asked my friend mira if we had really just experienced what i thought we had. i asked if we had really found saxaxahahapahaw and whether others might find it someday, too. she said "they'll come to saxahaxahapahaw for reasons they can't even fathom. they'll turn up the driveway, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. they'll arrive at the haw river ballroom as innocent as children, longing for the past. 'of course, we won't mind if you listen to the strings and spin the disco ball,' you'll say. 'it's only twenty dollars per person.' they'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack."

and then i woke up and went to work.

bennyspenny

Postby bennyspenny » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 pm

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:32 am

Has anyone bothered to ask what other musician(s) might be joining Dave on this proposed Headphones tour?

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:22 am

steelopus wrote:Has anyone bothered to ask what other musician(s) might be joining Dave on this proposed Headphones tour?

I did ask and can't remember the full answer, but he did say that TW would not be joining. :/ From what I recall seemed like they had already talked about it.
when I was a boy
everything was right

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:44 am

Boo. Doesn't look like Pickwick has anything coming up. I wouldn't mind seeing Alex back behind the kit.

ajmiller

Postby ajmiller » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:38 pm

sherpa141 wrote:the Headphones record turns 10 next year and that he "has to go play it cover to cover" on tour to commemorate that. How fucking cool is that?

This could get me out from under my rock(s).

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 am

brothermatt wrote:a friend of mine drove me to the venue, in saxaxahapapahaw, nc. though my navigation showed us the way, i saw no signs until we were on top of the ballroom and attached general store. the venue, beautiful. the lighting, perfect. the beer, crisp, fullbodied, and fresh from a durham brewery. a light fog enveloped the ballroom's grounds, and i could only faintly make out the tree lines beyond. the highway was quiet and bent out of sight in either direction.

the disco ball started spinning during priests & paramedics just as dave's voice swelled to "we're all gonna die; could be twenty years--could be tonight." i realized that i was then, in fact, and may now still be, dead. death isn't frightening, friends. it's quiet. david dondero is there. there's lots of plaid shirts with snaps, and beards that spill out of crewnecked collars.

and friends, let me tell you, heaven was different than you expected. there are headphones reunion tours, and pizzicato arrangements of "the fleecing" and promises of vinyl recorded from masters created in quality inn hotel rooms. and SHERPS and HT WERE THERE and we all talked, and we all smiled, and we all wondered why we hadn't found each other in so long, and then it was time to go.

i don't know what comes after heaven, but we couldn't stay for some reason. maybe my time on earth still holds something for me, but when i left, i asked my friend mira if we had really just experienced what i thought we had. i asked if we had really found saxaxahahapahaw and whether others might find it someday, too. she said "they'll come to saxahaxahapahaw for reasons they can't even fathom. they'll turn up the driveway, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. they'll arrive at the haw river ballroom as innocent as children, longing for the past. 'of course, we won't mind if you listen to the strings and spin the disco ball,' you'll say. 'it's only twenty dollars per person.' they'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack."

Great post. A++ would read again.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:19 pm

numan_the_son wrote:
brothermatt wrote:a friend of mine drove me to the venue, in saxaxahapapahaw, nc. though my navigation showed us the way, i saw no signs until we were on top of the ballroom and attached general store. the venue, beautiful. the lighting, perfect. the beer, crisp, fullbodied, and fresh from a durham brewery. a light fog enveloped the ballroom's grounds, and i could only faintly make out the tree lines beyond. the highway was quiet and bent out of sight in either direction.

Great post. A++ would read again.

+1

-Adam Phillips

Return to “Tour and shows”