Gord Downie died

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

ansible

Gord Downie died

Postby ansible » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 am

I cannot express how much this pains me. What a man he was.
when I was a boy
everything was right

paulhewson

Re: Gord Downie died

Postby paulhewson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Never heard of him until I went to University in Canada in the 90’s and everyone there was wondering why I hadn’t heard of the greatest rock and roll band ever.

I don’t know if they were the greatest but truly an under appreciated band outside of Canada.

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Some of my favorite songs

Scared
Ahead By A Century
Grace Too
Long Time Running
Wheat Kings

So many good ones

ansible

Postby ansible » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Glad you got to hear them revered as they should have been. I was just a kid online while the Internet was still new and made good friends with a Canadian guy who pointed me to the Hip, to Hayden, and from Hayden (by extension), to Pedro. Ahead by a Century is one of my favorite Hip songs. Just a couple others aside from what you mentioned -

Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man
Bobcaygeon
It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Gift Shop
Courage
Fireworks

If you can't tell I'm a Phantom Power junkie, it's my favorite of theirs and always has been. I feel so lucky to have seen them play several times; I must have first met Gord when I was 16. I loved his solo albums, his poetry, his incessant improvisation on stage. I honestly thought I would get to see him play again. So it goes.

sean.david.smith

Postby sean.david.smith » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 pm

pretty beautiful tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3ZNAlaetc

just got my copy of the last hip show on dvd

copy of this book coming tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Ending-Pre ... 1770414363

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 am

sean.david.smith wrote:pretty beautiful tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3ZNAlaetc

just got my copy of the last hip show on dvd

copy of this book coming tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Ending-Pre ... 1770414363

Wow, what amazing covers. I just smiled and cried through the slideshow background during Bobcageon. That is the real Gord. I think it says as much as you could say about him, maybe.

I picked up Last Night in Toronto and a couple other Hip DVDs that they released. Almost hard to watch. My copy of that book is on its way (thought release was in April). My copy of Coke Machine Glow is a first edition from 2001 when it was bundled with the album at release. Gord's influence on my young mind was formative, and I'm glad for it. To quote the man himself -

Words keep like canned peaches
if they're good enough.

sean.david.smith

Postby sean.david.smith » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 pm

im curious which hip dvds you have - ive got that night in toronto along with the music videos and short films that came with hipeponymous - the heksenketel documentary and now a national celebration [the last show] ... ive considered getting the bobcaygeon documentary but ive heard its really light on actual hip footage and more just about setting up the show

i never thought to check my copy of coke machine glow but it looks like ive got a first edition also - maybe his brothers will release another collection in the future

sean.david.smith

Postby sean.david.smith » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm

also - theres another book that came out last month - gord downie by steve newton - heres the rundown on it:

This is the story of Gord Downie’s creative journey as lead singer and lyricist for venerable rock band the Tragically Hip, covering his solo career, his philanthropic work, and beyond, leading up to the much-loved musician’s untimely death from brain cancer at the age of 53 in October 2017. In this unofficial retrospective, rock journalist Steve Newton, a longtime Hip fan, charts the quintet’s rise to fame as “a group of buddies from Kingston who started out playing Stones covers in a basement before finding their own unique and powerful voice, one conveyed by a rock poet whose art would capture the imagination of an entire country.” During the Hip’s meteoric rise, Newton interviewed Downie five times for the Georgia Straight, gaining keen insight into how the Kingston rocker regarded his work and the artistic motivations behind it. Newton blends Downie’s candid commentary with impressions drawn from seeing the band live, poring over classic Hip albums, and studying their songs, many of which are inspired by references to Canadian locations, people, and events. Containing more than 175 color photographs and reproductions of rare memorabilia, this is the first fully illustrated, comprehensive book paying tribute to Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip—an essential keepsake for every true fan.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/bo ... -item.html

do you have a copy of this ansible? if so - what do you think of it?

Return to “The Music Scene”