Wye Oak - tonight in Denver

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

ansible

Wye Oak - tonight in Denver

Postby ansible » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:10 pm

So it just happens that while I am here in Colorado, Wye Oak is playing Denver tonight. I have been dying to see them and my luck is never this good.

Also, new release? I'm listening to Tween now.

Sherps, are you out there? Come meet me at the Bluebird in an hour.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Re: Wye Oak - tonight in Denver

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:55 am

AH Fuck! Wye Oak in Denver. Damnit. I probably couldn't have come anyway, as I had to be at work in Aspen at 8:30 on Saturday morning. How was the show?
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:59 pm

Man, it was so great. I wish you had been there. They played a lot of great stuff, some new tracks, choice picks from Civilian and The Knot and Shriek...fuck. I really love Wye Oak (and also have a serious crush on Jenn Wasner) and this was the first time I've seen them (although I saw Jenn open for Beach House as Flock of Dimes). So it was basically better than I could have imagined.

One of the most awesome moments came right near the end of the set when they played The Logic of Color. About 30s into the song, Jenn just cut Andy off and stopped everything because her keyboard was busted. She usually plays this song with the keys off to the side since most of the performance is vocal. But she was mashing keys and nothing was happening so she was like, "I refuse to play you guys a shitty version of this song. So...I'm just going to sing it for you." And then she did, she started over and sang the whole fucking song a capella. I couldn't believe it. It was incredible.

And as I had hoped, someone caught video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaorXIa7g4g

It's weird because this person must have been directly behind me, this was my exact perspective to the stage but just a little lower/closer.

Mmm.
when I was a boy
everything was right

corey

Postby corey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Awesome

Are they still a 2 piece?

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

corey wrote:Awesome