New Starflyer

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

zach2000

New Starflyer

Postby zach2000 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:03 pm

I just started listening to this...

and it's really damn good. This is a great year for bands I loved in high school and college who are still fighting the good fight.

Parmpin

Re: New Starflyer

Postby Parmpin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:45 pm

It's better than IAMACEO, and that's just a cold, hard fact.

zach2000

Re: New Starflyer

Postby zach2000 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Definitely, Parmpin. I found myself wishing it was longer...

Of course I go back with Starflyer about as long as I do with David Bazan. With Bazan though I am always sort of looking forward to where he takes his sound. Starflyer sort of puts out reliably good records that will probably never top the ones from a decade plus ago. I still like every single album Jason Martin's hands have touched, but Old is probably the benchmark. Everything before Old is like... honey to my ears.

But again, I like the new record. I think it's pretty strong. The first song made me kinda sad, but then it picked up and I thought it was good. I remember buying My Island a while back and feeling very similarly about that one as I do about this one.

Nonetheless, at the end of the day, Jason Martin is kind of an unsung hero and is vastly underrated. GOLD is... just... a masterpiece. Leave Here A Stranger is a perfect batch of songs. Even Portuguese Blues is a real rock and roll album. Anything with Frank Lenz playing drums is great. I miss that guy.

Return to “The Music Scene”