New Radiohead "Burn the Witch"

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

SkeletonRock

New Radiohead "Burn the Witch"

Postby SkeletonRock » Tue May 03, 2016 9:45 am

bulletproofpunch

Re: New Radiohead "Burn the Witch"

Postby bulletproofpunch » Tue May 03, 2016 4:53 pm

This shit is so fresh. More Greenwood strings please.

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed May 04, 2016 9:15 am

At least when you do post, it's gold. This is great.
when I was a boy
everything was right

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:42 am

new Radiohead and Bazan album within 5 days of each other? OVERLOAD
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Mon May 09, 2016 1:11 pm

So any thoughts on the whole Radiohead album? After a few listens, I love it. King of Limbs was a bit of disappointment but A Moon Shaped Pool is fantastic. I recommend listening to it with headphones if you get a chance; I picked up a bit more musical layers through headphones that I missed through my stereo speakers.

All this should be taken with an acknowledged bias on my part. They could fart in a microphone for an hour and I'd probably think it was fucking genius. (And that's not just because I have a Descendents tattoo on my leg)
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Enjoy.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 am

I think it's pretty great. Definitely like it more than TKOL (although that has some great tracks on it). Standout tracks for me are: Daydreaming, Ful Stop, Glass Eyes, and Present Tense.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Tue May 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Listened to it a whole bunch, and I honestly don't know how I feel about it. Radiohead just takes time sometimes...

"Burn the Witch" is killer. Can't get enough of that chorus. Nothing else on the album really sounds like it though (bit of an outlier).

Also, this album feels like their swan song to me. Are they gonna break up for real this time?

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed May 11, 2016 1:13 am

ragamuffin wrote:So any thoughts on the whole Radiohead album? After a few listens, I love it. King of Limbs was a bit of disappointment but A Moon Shaped Pool is fantastic. I recommend listening to it with headphones if you get a chance; I picked up a bit more musical layers through headphones that I missed through my stereo speakers.

All this should be taken with an acknowledged bias on my part. They could fart in a microphone for an hour and I'd probably think it was fucking genius. (And that's not just because I have a Descendents tattoo on my leg)

Pretty much this.

I cannot give my full opinion of the album yet.

I do admit, though, that 15 years after discovering "True Love Waits" at the end of the live I Might Be Wrong EP (I was on a bus and immediately had to grab a headphone splitter to show my best friend), I listened to this track first and several times before anything else. It's still playing and I'm still amazed.
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu May 12, 2016 9:37 am

Parmpin wrote:Listened to it a whole bunch, and I honestly don't know how I feel about it. Radiohead just takes time sometimes...

"Burn the Witch" is killer. Can't get enough of that chorus. Nothing else on the album really sounds like it though (bit of an outlier).

Also, this album feels like their swan song to me. Are they gonna break up for real this time?

To underlined -

It's actually very interesting, but Radiohead does this regularly - making the first track deliberately different from the rest of the album. They did it with "Planet Telex" on The Bends and "Airbag" on OK Computer, as two that stand out the most. They've commented about it in the past.

As to the swan song comment - I both doubt it and I hope not. When In Rainbows came out, similar comments were made because of the closing track "Videotape" and lyrics about "saying goodbye". Ironically, the closing track on A Moon Shaped Pool is "True Love Waits", which ends with the words "just don't leave / don't leave", implying the opposite. So I don't think we've seen the last of them, regardless.
when I was a boy
everything was right

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:17 am

I don't taste it.

Burn the witch in insanely good, and there are a few other songs I like, but the second track is beyond masterbatory bullshit. I don't know.

I didn't like Hail to the Thief for about 4 years. Then one day I listened to it and it became my favorite Radiohead album. So who the fuck knows. Radiohead takes a long time to like.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:24 pm

SkeletonRock wrote:I don't taste it.

Burn the witch in insanely good, and there are a few other songs I like, but the second track is beyond masterbatory bullshit. I don't know.

I didn't like Hail to the Thief for about 4 years. Then one day I listened to it and it became my favorite Radiohead album. So who the fuck knows. Radiohead takes a long time to like.

i pretty much agree with this. although, hail to the thief, maybe it's hindsight talking now, is just such an amazing record. it still "rocks," you know what i mean? whereas this last album is like King of Limbs itself took an ambien for the most part.

i mean, i don't hate it or even dislike it. i just think Radiohead has settled into a particular groove. i don't want to blame it on aging because i can feel myself aging but i never want to be a person who slows down or gets too comfortable. i dunno...

it's good but it's definitely not GREAT.

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:33 am

So, you must be skipping tracks like Decks Dark and Glass Eyes. Burn the Witch is good, but not the best track on the album. I definitely taste it.
when I was a boy
everything was right

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:47 pm

ansible wrote:

So, you must be skipping tracks like Decks Dark and Glass Eyes. Burn the Witch is good, but not the best track on the album. I definitely taste it.

+1. I also do not understand the "masterbatory bullshit" line about Daydreaming. What is so off-putting to you about it?

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:50 pm

i don't mean to speak for s-rock, but i think what he's saying is Radiohead could shit in a jewel/LP case and people would call it genius.

i am not for a second going to call Moon Shaped Pool a bad album. i've listened to it enough times to say it's good, especially before bed, but it's not much of an improvement or much different than king of limbs, which is another sleeper. this is my opinion, of course. have i mentioned i like guitars?

still... Radiohead is a great band. I love Radiohead. they are definitely held to a higher standard because of albums like OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A, and In Rainbows. in fact, i just listed all of their albums that i think are actually genius. the rest are just good albums.

Return to “The Music Scene”