New TW (I think)

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

Olsvik

Re: New TW (I think)

Postby Olsvik » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:24 am

I'm enjoying it.

I imagine I am somewhat of an anomaly, especially on this forum, as I first heard TW's Songs of Pain and Leisure before I had really gotten into Pedro & Bazan and it's still one of my favourite records. I've been anticipating new music from TW for a while now and this one doesn't disappoint!

bulletproofpunch

Postby bulletproofpunch » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:32 pm

This record is so great, start to finish. Can't wait to hear it on vinyl.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Can't stop listening to this. Songwriting, production, vocals, everything - just solid work.
Home run, T-Dubs!

Jackson

Postby Jackson » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Agreed. Excellent album. Great songs, & love the cohesion.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 am

I have a lot more to say about this album but damn if it isn't so good. On the drive home yesterday I just let it spin, 3 times back to back. So, so good.
when I was a boy
everything was right

jac

Postby jac » Wed May 25, 2016 10:19 am

This album is so amazing. It just keeps growing on me. Definitely my favorite of TW's.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Did you guys know Dave sequenced this record?

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15879725
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:49 am

sherpa141 wrote:Did you guys know Dave sequenced this record?

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15879725

Yes, it's listed on the liner notes I believe. I think this says a lot actually, and I find the track order key to the album - most interestingly, TW prefers (preferred?) to order tracks so that the album flows sonically, where Dave has usually preferred in the past to order tracks by lyrical content/flow. I find it extremely fascinating that Dave was able to do (in my opinion) both of these things with the track order of Fruitless Research, as it not only makes the album better, but shows a real trust between TW and Dave - TW trusted Dave with the track order, and Dave ordered them perhaps not has he would if it was his album, but in a way that seems that he had TW's preference in mind when ordering the tunes.

I keep meaning to come back and write more about this record, but since I have a moment, the track order is so intriguing to me (made more so by the fact that Dave chose the order). Sonically, the album starts off with almost unintelligible modulated vocals - opening track appropriately named Public Radio - and it sounds really, really good. As the album moves towards the center, vocals become more clear, peaking with Monterrey - crystal clear vocals. The previous track (#5), Fundamental Ground, is easily the lyrical/thematic linchpin of the record. So the two middle tracks have clear purpose and style. Then begins its slow return to modulation as the album continues, finally finishing with The Glow, which thematically closes the album, and it also rebounds and strikes a solid middle ground between the vocal extremes of Public Radio/Monterrey.

Interestingly, the two tracks that bookend the central tracks are my favorite - Body/Mind beats out Counting Cards for me just barely. I say just barely, but I've listened to Body/Mind on repeat for hours on end, I am officially in love with that song (and also the album).

I still feel like I have more to say about why I like Fruitless Research so much but felt good to at least get that down.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:54 am

That's awesome, Ansi. Thanks for writing that up.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:17 am

Is this album only available in digital/cassette/vinyl?

-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:43 am

It kind of looks that way? Interesting there's no CD format. ~15 years ago I was obsessed with owning music and vinyl hadn't really come back in a big way yet (all of my records were used except for special 7" releases; my turntable was used; I think the only "new" record I owned was Radiohead's Hail to the Thief), so I bought a shitload of CDs. Albums, singles, rare releases, whatever, I blew all the money I made in high school on buying CDs, going to shows, and buying merch. So I have like probably $2-3k worth of CDs still in boxes and cases. My wife keeps trying to get me to ditch the jewel cases but I refuse.

I still dig on CDs because they're like the lowest common denominator. Odds are the car you drive, used or new, has a CD player, and I like the feeling of not being able to jump around really easily. I like putting in an album and letting it spin. I remember sitting outside Best Buy late at night, unwrapping Wilco's A Ghost Is Born, reading the liner notes and listening to the opening track, my favorite song they've ever recorded. It was a special moment I remember very clearly.

So for those reasons I miss CDs. Now, basically I buy vinyl to have a physical copy (I've spent enough years working with computers to be wary) and that usually comes with a digital download. I guess, maybe they think if you want a CD you can just burn one, which is sort of true, but there is something about the art and the disc that is different. I look back at my Pedro CDs and I'm like, yeah, those look great, I'm glad I have them.

Anyway. I was (and am) listening to Body/Mind + Counting Cards on repeat at the moment, so I thought I'd ramble for a bit.
when I was a boy
everything was right

TW

Postby TW » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 am

WHAT'S UP EVERYBODY?

Thanks for checking out my record. Glad you like it.

Graveface didn't want to do CDs, but I guess a lot of people complained, so the next one will be on CD too.

The cassettes were super cool on FR, and I love how the vinyl turned out. We went with glossy on the sleeve and it was very neat.

Glad to see you are all still alive.

Hit me up if you have any questions about FR or anything else.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:40 am

TW's sons' have a new 5-song EP out as Whale Watch. It's pretty good, dudes.

https://twitter.com/whalewatch333/statu ... 4229079043

-Adam Phillips

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:29 am

HOLY SHIT, this record is exceptional. Fundamental Ground, man.

-Adam Phillips

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:52 pm

sherpa141 wrote:HOLY SHIT, this record is exceptional. Fundamental Ground, man.

one of my favorites for sure
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

Return to “The Music Scene”