The Last Moments of Mary Stuart

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

jac

The Last Moments of Mary Stuart

Postby jac » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm really tired of the crappy youtube version with crappy sound. Is there not at least a demo lying around? I hear when a man survives a scorpion attack, he learns what is truly important. This is truly important.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Re: The Last Moments of Mary Stuart

Postby Mattmon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:45 pm

Oh ptoads. I haven't bothered perry in awhile about new material. Maybe I should.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

jac

Postby jac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:06 am

Yup. I figured it was about time for my triennial, incredibly selfish, but well-intentioned plea for Mr. Thrash to not deprive the world of his art. I realize that, as Kierkegaard pointed out, it is tantamount to asking him to suffer some more. So it goes...

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:22 am

your post does not have enough literary allusions to get Perry's attention.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

jac

Postby jac » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 am

My brain does not have enough literary allusions to attract the redoubtable Mr. Wright's attention.

But maybe a rainbow unicorn could do the trick.

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Sun May 03, 2015 11:13 am

Holy crap just saw this.

With regard to new material, I will say that choosing to no longer see myself as a failed musician has been very freeing, while simultaneously not having a creative project playing around in the back of my mind all the time has been extremely deflating. So I either think of myself as a failed and stagnant creative or I just feel a general lack of drive or purpose with regard to putting things into the world.

So where is the balance? I'm genuinely asking. I'd like to think that I could just poke at songwriting and recording and sort of trickle things out as they reach completion, but what is the model for that? I look at what DB's been able to do in the past 18 months by simply shackling himself to a promise and honestly it kind of terrifies me. His best material of the past 18 months is absolutely the best material of his life, and from the outside it appears that a combination of stockpiled potential energy and some significant financial realities have challenged him to rise to the occasion in an unprecedented way.

I guess my point is that, for me, it's not been a crisis of creativity so much as it's been a crisis of identity. Of how I see myself in the world and what strengths or talents I want to encourage and exercise in myself as an extension of that sense of identity.

If you asked my family they would all tell you that since I was very young I have been groomed toward the life of a writer. As a kid I attended writing conferences for promising young assholes, etc. To this day, my dad, who is the loveliest man in the entire world, will say that I am definitely going to be a writer. I'm a 38-year-old grown-ass man. All the while the implicit comedy of the notion is that being a writer is an occupation with zero requirements, save one: to write. To put it subjunctively, if I were a writer, I would write. Every day that I puzzle over some insignificant piece of a half-formed idea of a novel and don't write it down I am choosing not to be a writer, because writing it down is all it would take to become a writer. Sure, I'd be a failed writer, or an undiscovered writer, or whatever, but at least then it would be more than this vague childhood sense of potential and could finally emerge an identity, complete with some real obligations to actually do something.

I don't have a way to wrap this up.

Anyway, jac I sent you PM with a link to some old stuff that for all I know we've shared in years past. Enjoy it but please don't pass it around because it's definitely not done and I'm not ready to be associated with it for whatever reason. I'm happy to share it with others on here, too, under that same condition, mainly because this has always seemed like a crowd comfortable with material in process. Frankly, we all know that I'm the most critical person in this group and I already think it's fairly shitty so there's no where to go but up! There's a version of the song you asked about in there. Thanks for thinking of me from time to time; I appreciate it.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:21 pm

This is fucking awesome and it saddens me that there've been no responses. Your pops is right: You should definitely be a failed (or undiscovered) writer.

Hyacinth Thrash wrote:Holy crap just saw this.

With regard to new material, I will say that choosing to no longer see myself as a failed musician has been very freeing, while simultaneously not having a creative project playing around in the back of my mind all the time has been extremely deflating. So I either think of myself as a failed and stagnant creative or I just feel a general lack of drive or purpose with regard to putting things into the world.

So where is the balance? I'm genuinely asking. I'd like to think that I could just poke at songwriting and recording and sort of trickle things out as they reach completion, but what is the model for that? I look at what DB's been able to do in the past 18 months by simply shackling himself to a promise and honestly it kind of terrifies me. His best material of the past 18 months is absolutely the best material of his life, and from the outside it appears that a combination of stockpiled potential energy and some significant financial realities have challenged him to rise to the occasion in an unprecedented way.

I guess my point is that, for me, it's not been a crisis of creativity so much as it's been a crisis of identity. Of how I see myself in the world and what strengths or talents I want to encourage and exercise in myself as an extension of that sense of identity.

If you asked my family they would all tell you that since I was very young I have been groomed toward the life of a writer. As a kid I attended writing conferences for promising young assholes, etc. To this day, my dad, who is the loveliest man in the entire world, will say that I am definitely going to be a writer. I'm a 38-year-old grown-ass man. All the while the implicit comedy of the notion is that being a writer is an occupation with zero requirements, save one: to write. To put it subjunctively, if I were a writer, I would write. Every day that I puzzle over some insignificant piece of a half-formed idea of a novel and don't write it down I am choosing not to be a writer, because writing it down is all it would take to become a writer. Sure, I'd be a failed writer, or an undiscovered writer, or whatever, but at least then it would be more than this vague childhood sense of potential and could finally emerge an identity, complete with some real obligations to actually do something.

I don't have a way to wrap this up.

Anyway, jac I sent you PM with a link to some old stuff that for all I know we've shared in years past. Enjoy it but please don't pass it around because it's definitely not done and I'm not ready to be associated with it for whatever reason. I'm happy to share it with others on here, too, under that same condition, mainly because this has always seemed like a crowd comfortable with material in process. Frankly, we all know that I'm the most critical person in this group and I already think it's fairly shitty so there's no where to go but up! There's a version of the song you asked about in there. Thanks for thinking of me from time to time; I appreciate it.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:05 am

I would like to request a copy of said music, politely...very interested to hear if you are willing.

I find this long post interesting, as a failing/undiscovered writer myself (technically, I've been published, but whatever). My life, both professional and academic, has been centered around so many different fields that it actually took me awhile to realize that I wanted to write instead of the myriad other things I've been trained or learned to do. I do consider myself a writer, though. I write, and I'll keep writing until something else gets published, and then again, until I can write full-time. Which may be never.

But I can't really fathom the idea of growing up and being groomed as a writer. My dad was in the military, we moved a lot; I wasn't taught to be a specific thing or focus on a specific profession.

The closest I can get to understanding it is a girl I knew at school while studying film. Her parents were both filmmakers and had forced her into film school, even though it wasn't really her passion. She was actually good, but it wasn't what she wanted, and her parents never let go of that. In an audio course we took, for our final project that semester she made a piece about finally moving past all the things she was raised to be and didn't want. She called her parents separately to tell them she was dropping out to join the Naval Academy and recorded the calls. The way she put it together...her parents were so devastated, they both cried, they were so sad and upset that their daughter was joining the Navy instead of sticking with some creative profession. It was an intensely personal thing to hear. And she did transfer out after that semester to be a midshipman, and she was happy with her decision. And a year or so later, I left as well...

I don't really have a point. I just find the comparison compelling.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:04 pm

That's a great story from school, and genuinely moving. I'll dial back my own drama a couple degrees and just add that my own frustration is in not knowing that I would love being a midshipman instead of being a filmmaker. As I stare down the barrel of 40 it just seems like I should have comprehended my big project by now, which I know is an empty, romantic notion, but real to me all the same. Enough mopes. Life's actually pretty great.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

Return to “The Music Scene”