TW Walsh - Born Hungry

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

corey

TW Walsh - Born Hungry

Postby corey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Great song and video

https://youtu.be/cRydcSK9tuQ

contrauxl

Re: TW Walsh - Born Hungry

Postby contrauxl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:06 pm

I love what TW is doing these days. He’s so damn good.
"I swear I way more that half believe it when I say that somewhere love and justice shine, cynicism falls asleep, tyranny topples itself, sappy slogans all come true, and we forget to feed our fears" -jks

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm

+1
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

TW

Postby TW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Namaste

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am

Late commenting here, but what a great song. Oddly I find that what originally drew me to TW in a real way were lyrics. I remember going through the shit (not in Nam, of course), transferred colleges, new major, broke, knew zero people, and working two full-time jobs to pay for school. And I would drive to this shitty little office a bit out of town to write some code and I would listen to The Soft Drugs In Moderation, over and over, every morning and all day. And at some point after that I found myself spinning Blue Laws only, period. I tend to put things on repeat. I guess this is a tangent but I think TW's songwriting is just so overlooked somehow, lyrically and musically.

To segue - TW, in what order did you record the 7 tracks live for this tune? Especially if you're doing a single live take - does that change how you would "build the loop", so to speak? Like how Jon Brion often performs at the Largo by himself like this by building song elements into loops as he plays live. I realize that's not what you're doing here but I imagine you have a fairly standard workflow - e.g., first record drums to a click, then rhythm guitar, etc. If you already discussed this in an interview somewhere or something just point me along...

I know you asked once somewhere if anyone cared about the videos and the camera work - I CARE! Being able to see you record / play is as close as I can get to seeing you play live, and aside from that, I love learning about the process in general and how you personally approach it, just by watching. I enjoy the interviews you've done too, which in my opinion makes these video recordings of audio recordings that much better and informative. Anyway - if you have the time and the wherewithal and the inclination, I love these videos; thank you.

Also everyone should listen and buy because good things await those who do:

https://twwalsh.bandcamp.com/track/born-hungry
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 am

TW wrote:Namaste

On a different note, how serious are you about archiving vs. total purge? I noticed you nuked most of your Twitter account. Do you ever do this with your own art? Do you erase dissatisfying work completely, or do you keep it somewhere safe underground regardless, just in case?

TW

Postby TW » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:48 am

Hey! Thank you

I recorded drums to a click, scratch guitar and scratch vocal. Then bass, 2 guitars, 2 vocals, then tambourine. I had to do 1-3 takes on each instrument to get a full take I could live with. I had the parts already written, and they weren't complicated, so it wasn't hard.

I have an automated thing on my twitter that deletes old tweets. I don't want to preserve every tweet indefinitely. I want them to have a shelf life. I have grown to dislike social media, so I am careful with how I use it.

I recently discarded hundreds of old cassettes and CDRs with unreleased material on them - hundreds of songs dating back to the 90's. Most of the good ones were digitized at some point and are on a hard drive somewhere...many are not that good and I doubt I will release any of them. I didn't want to carry them around with me for the rest of my life. I am not actively destroying stuff but I don't care that much either. There's a difference with my personal music archives because only I and my family have access to them.

Thanks for listening

Return to “The Music Scene”