More new TW! (Terrible Freedom just dropped)

General discussion of non-PTL music and bands.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

ansible

More new TW! (Terrible Freedom just dropped)

Postby ansible » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 am

when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Re: More new TW!

Postby ansible » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 am

So Kickstarter. Was there a thread about this already? Don't remember.

I still listen to Fruitless Research regularly so I am super stoked. Really glad TW is putting out more albums, everything is just so good. As much as I love everything he's done, I think his new work is his best.
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 am

Backed. Self-release is cool route for TW. If he was 80% done by the time he started Kickstarter, I wonder if there are any new jams to peep while we wait for the album...

Regardless, very excited.
when I was a boy
everything was right

TW

Postby TW » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks! I'm planning to release some tunes, probably via YouTube, before the record comes out.

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:22 am

TW wrote:Thanks! I'm planning to release some tunes, probably via YouTube, before the record comes out.

Awesome! Can't wait. I missed the video clip the first time cause, well, the Internet is dangerous so I was running NoScript + Ghostery. The kaleidoscope / fractal imagery matches the music well.

I am curious, is there a deliberate thematic link between Fruitless Research + Terrible Freedom? I don't have a lot to go on besides the little snip, album art, and the album name, but it feels to me like you're pushing in a specific direction a lot. Is that true, or are the tunes just coming out one at a time from that same area of thought?

Ironically not too long ago I was going to ask when you planned to release more tunes. Are you planning on recording/releasing new material this frequently going forward (cause that would be great)? Or is the process less deliberate / more difficult when thinking about releasing a record compared to just writing a new song?
when I was a boy
everything was right

TW

Postby TW » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 am

At the conscious level, I'm not working deliberately within a set of themes. These are arising naturally.

I don't think about making an album until I have several songs. I make songs, and once there's a bunch of them, I set a deadline for packaging them all up. One of the reasons I left the label was so I could decide exactly when and how to put it together. These songs came together quickly. I don't really understand why, because I'm busier, more tired and more time-constrained than any other point in my life.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:41 pm

TW wrote:I don't really understand why, because I'm busier, more tired and more time-constrained than any other point in my life.

Seems like maybe you just hit on something, dude.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

TW

Postby TW » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 am

It's clear where the raw material is coming from. But the energy to make use of it is otherworldly

TW

Postby TW » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:03 am

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:21 am

Good lord, TW. This song is fucking great. Clear natural progression from the last record, without sounding 'samey.' You're an expert at cultivating an aesthetic who just happens to be a great songwriter. Or a great songwriter who just happens to be an expert at cultivating an aesthetic. Either way. we're better off for your talents. Keep bringing it.

TW wrote:Here's a song from the album

https://soundcloud.com/twwalsh/my-generation
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

TW

Postby TW » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks, Sherp - I'm having a lot of fun making songs...the arrangement process is just as fun, if not moreso, than the songwriting. They are kind of merging into one thing for me. Glad it's connecting with you.

sherpa141 wrote:Good lord, TW. This song is fucking great. Clear natural progression from the last record, without sounding 'samey.' You're an expert at cultivating an aesthetic who just happens to be a great songwriter. Or a great songwriter who just happens to be an expert at cultivating an aesthetic. Either way. we're better off for your talents. Keep bringing it.

TW wrote:Here's a song from the album

https://soundcloud.com/twwalsh/my-generation

TW

Postby TW » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:26 am

ansible

Re: More new TW! (Terrible Freedom just dropped)

Postby ansible » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 am

I just realized that this dropped so that's what I'm doing for the rest of the day now.
when I was a boy
everything was right

jac

Re: More new TW! (Terrible Freedom just dropped)c

Postby jac » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:04 am

Such brilliant shit.
Love the edge in the lyrics
Love the music and lyric blend.
It's like there are three songs trying to break out at a time. Somehow TW harnesses that tension
And makes it into a remarkable whole.
Terrible Freedom = beautiful tension.
One of a very few records I listen to with no distraction.

Return to “The Music Scene”