Looking for a new guitar

Board for exchanging Pedro items.

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

theindiansummer

Looking for a new guitar

Postby theindiansummer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:14 pm

I need help choosing. I have owned a lot of guitars and I'm not sure what to get. I'm debating a Tele, strat or a Hollowbody with P-90's or Z-90's. I play a Fender Blues Jr. And have a Bog Muff and a TS-9 for Dist/OD. I mostly play indie rock. What do you guys think?

Also any OD stomp box suggestions?

FatalWound

Re: Looking for a new guitar

Postby FatalWound » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:35 pm

I think the Strat is the most versatile guitar period, especially you go HSS, but the Tele is my personal favorite. With a hollowbody you are probably going to have to spend quite a bit more money to get something that does everything you want with the pickups you want.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the Fulltone Fulldrive is the only OD.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

theindiansummer

Postby theindiansummer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I guess I typoed my last post. I have a Epiphone Dot and would upgrade it. I like all three sounds but I'm not sure what one would be the most versital for what I play. I do the occasional lead guitar for worship as well, but more melodic / Ebow / resonating kind of stuff.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:01 pm

FatalWound wrote:I think the Strat is the most versatile guitar period, especially you go HSS, but the Tele is my personal favorite. With a hollowbody you are probably going to have to spend quite a bit more money to get something that does everything you want with the pickups you want.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the Fulltone Fulldrive is the only OD.

My first guitar was a Squire Strat and for some reason after I gave that away and replaced it with my no-longer-available Les Paul Special, I just have no desire to play a Strat again, ever. It's weird. But I can say with a lot of confidence the next guitar I buy will be a Telecaster. Of course I only own two guitars and I'm still building effects, so this is in no way possible for a long time, but yeah, someday.
when I was a boy
everything was right

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 pm

theindiansummer wrote:I guess I typoed my last post. I have a Epiphone Dot and would upgrade it. I like all three sounds but I'm not sure what one would be the most versital for what I play. I do the occasional lead guitar for worship as well, but more melodic / Ebow / resonating kind of stuff.

Yeah, I mean you are going to get the most resonance out of something with a set neck, like your Dot. The only thing Tele-esque with a set neck is the TC-90 (and its Jimmy Eat World-endorsed cousin the JA-90), and those aren't cheap. I think in terms of tonal options, a Strat with a bridge humbucker is still way more versatile, but as ansible rightly points out, they are not for everyone (and in fact although I still own a cheap one, it is maybe my #4 or #5 guitar, out of 6ish?) Teles are awesome, but... I don't know, if you are going for sustain, you might be better off upgrading your Dot, assuming you like the way it plays otherwise.

theindiansummer

Postby theindiansummer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:27 pm

I am debating not to upgrade my Dot or to get a Tele. I will have to check some pickups out and test some tele's. Also a new OD and some pedals might be in order.

GyGu

Postby GyGu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 pm

I have a Dot with P-90s, I also replaced the electronics. It sounds really wonderful and I think it's super versatile. Were I to go back I may just pony up for the Gibson simply because it is built a bit better, plays nicer. But all in all, dropping a few hundred (around $450 I think?) to replace the pickups and electronics still makes it a few hundred cheaper than the ES, which does include pickups as nice as P-90s.

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:52 am

Fair Warning from Experience: I bought a cheap Chinese Dot on clearance several years ago and replaced all the guts with very nice but very hot pickups. I also have a Blues Junior amp. The Upgrayyded Dot through the Blues Junior is about the worst thing I have ever heard, which means I pretty much only play the acoustic guitar now. Seriously horrible. Like, panicky, blown out screaming on a 911 call where you just want to say, "Calm down and tell me where you are and what has happened to you" but you just get bloody ears and all the mids.

But there were 2 solutions:
I borrowed my brother's SG for a tour and it sounds amazing through the Blues Junior.
I borrowed a friend's Deluxe Reverb amp for another tour and the Upgrayyded Dot sounds amazing through it.

Life Lesson:
If you're upgrading a Dot, you need more amp; if you're keeping that amp, you need less guitar.

I also have a Telecaster, which I don't love through the Blues Junior either, but I think it's mostly because I have fallen way out of love with that paper plate feel of Telecasters in general.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

GyGu

Postby GyGu » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm

I play mine through an AC15 and a Fender Deluxe. I think it sounds amazing. Then again, mine is not Chinese. I also have a Gibson SG and I actually prefer my Dot in most cases. Maybe you just got a bad factory run, eh?

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

The Chinese made ones (which includes most of the standard models since 2003ish, and almost everything Epiphone makes since 2007 or so) were very hit and miss for the first several years of production, and are still a little uneven on QC. I think now the really cheap Epis are actually Indonesian.

I am predicting that in 20 years many of the Chinese guitars that people hate on now will be seen as appealing alternatives to wherever they are making cheap stuff by then. This has already happened over the past 15 years with Japanese guitars and it's even starting to happen with Korean ones.

theindiansummer

Postby theindiansummer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Well I have acquired a Vintage Dod Overdrive Preamp/250 so I am hoping that solves the OD portion. I think I may upgrade the dot pickups. But I will have to wait for now.

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm

this doesn't answer your question at all, but I got a Jazzmaster a few months ago and it is a tremendous guitar. Tons of tonal options, and it's good to have options
I got two turntables and a microphone

theindiansummer

Postby theindiansummer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:56 pm

I have considered a jazz master a well.

jacob11

Postby jacob11 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 pm

How many your budget?Please give PM.I want to sell my guiter.
We are here to add descubre aqui como vender por internet what we can to life used cars clic here, not to get what we can from life.

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 pm

I replaced the wiring harness in my sheraton II and put a pearly gates in the bridge. I like it a lot through my AC15TVHW. Dirt Pedal recommendations have so much to do with your amp. I currently run an OCD, NYC Big Muff, and a BAT LSTR Fuzz. Not sure if they would sound good on a blues junior but they sound great on a AC15.

Return to “Buy, sell, and trade.”