religions / worldviews

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

User avatar
CuriousOrgans
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Postby CuriousOrgans » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 pm

fornication is not premarital sex. jesus
"I guess you tripped and fell. Then he tripped and fell on to you. Is that what you meant when you said you didn't mean to?"

User avatar
i saved latin
Posts: 2805
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Postby i saved latin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:15 pm

CuriousOrgans wrote:fornication is not premarital sex. jesus

http://www.christiananswers.net/diction ... ation.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fornication

http://www.answers.com/topic/fornication

...isn't sex outside of marriage the same concept as pre-marital sex?...maybe we're just looking at it differently...

...i'll be curious to know what you're definition is...
"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. "

-Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
CuriousOrgans
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Postby CuriousOrgans » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:17 pm

i saved latin wrote:
CuriousOrgans wrote:fornication is not premarital sex. jesus

http://www.christiananswers.net/diction ... ation.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fornication

http://www.answers.com/topic/fornication

...isn't sex outside of marriage the same concept as pre-marital sex?...maybe we're just looking at it differently...

...i'll be curious to know what you're definition is...


the word fornication came about in the 14th century. it is not what was used in the bible. look up what word actually was.
"I guess you tripped and fell. Then he tripped and fell on to you. Is that what you meant when you said you didn't mean to?"

User avatar
i saved latin
Posts: 2805
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Postby i saved latin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:21 pm

CuriousOrgans wrote:
i saved latin wrote:
CuriousOrgans wrote:fornication is not premarital sex. jesus

http://www.christiananswers.net/diction ... ation.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fornication

http://www.answers.com/topic/fornication

...isn't sex outside of marriage the same concept as pre-marital sex?...maybe we're just looking at it differently...

...i'll be curious to know what you're definition is...


the word fornication came about in the 14th century. it is not what was used in the bible. look up what word actually was.

hmm...the word fornication is used in the king james version of the bible and that's one of the oldest/literal translations...

http://www.bartleby.com/108/46/7.html
"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. "



-Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
OhYou
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:59 pm
Contact:

Postby OhYou » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:22 pm

Sex is sex. It's a personal choice. If you want to wait until marriage then that's cool, if not then that's cool too. Whatev.

User avatar
CuriousOrgans
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Postby CuriousOrgans » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:31 pm

i saved latin wrote:
CuriousOrgans wrote:
i saved latin wrote:
CuriousOrgans wrote:fornication is not premarital sex. jesus

http://www.christiananswers.net/diction ... ation.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fornication

http://www.answers.com/topic/fornication

...isn't sex outside of marriage the same concept as pre-marital sex?...maybe we're just looking at it differently...

...i'll be curious to know what you're definition is...


the word fornication came about in the 14th century. it is not what was used in the bible. look up what word actually was.

hmm...the word fornication is used in the king james version of the bible and that's one of the oldest/literal translations...

http://www.bartleby.com/108/46/7.html


actually, the king james bible is one of the worst translations and was edited by a mad man who murdered all of his wives.

but whatever. i give up, i read about it a long time ago and i can't find my sources now.

its up to you. don't fuck if you don't want to. i enjoy it.
"I guess you tripped and fell. Then he tripped and fell on to you. Is that what you meant when you said you didn't mean to?"

FatalWound
Posts: 3870
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:02 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby FatalWound » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:40 pm

The King James Bible is not one of the worst translations. It's one of the least literal translations. It's by far the most artful.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

User avatar
i saved latin
Posts: 2805
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Postby i saved latin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:44 pm

FatalWound wrote:It's one of the least literal translations

i must be missing something...how have you come to this conclusion?...
"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. "



-Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
CuriousOrgans
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Postby CuriousOrgans » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:47 pm

eh, its been so long since i've studied in of this i realize i don't have enough facts straight to well argue the topic too much. i'll stick to abstract philosophy from now on.

ftl.

peace
"I guess you tripped and fell. Then he tripped and fell on to you. Is that what you meant when you said you didn't mean to?"

User avatar
i saved latin
Posts: 2805
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Postby i saved latin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:54 pm

CuriousOrgans wrote:ftl.

peace

sorry to bring you back into this thread if you were hoping this was your last post...but, what does 'ftl' mean?...
"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. "



-Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
CuriousOrgans
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Postby CuriousOrgans » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:00 pm

i saved latin wrote:
CuriousOrgans wrote:ftl.

peace

sorry to bring you back into this thread if you were hoping this was your last post...but, what does 'ftl' mean?...


for the loss
"I guess you tripped and fell. Then he tripped and fell on to you. Is that what you meant when you said you didn't mean to?"

User avatar
CuriousOrgans
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Postby CuriousOrgans » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:06 pm

i'm also suprised to no one called me out for my monumental lapse in historical knowledge of confusing King Henry VIII with King James I
"I guess you tripped and fell. Then he tripped and fell on to you. Is that what you meant when you said you didn't mean to?"

FatalWound
Posts: 3870
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:02 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby FatalWound » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:07 pm

i saved latin wrote:
FatalWound wrote:It's one of the least literal translations

i must be missing something...how have you come to this conclusion?...


I am pretty sure this is widely accepted in the field of religious studies, isn't it? Not that wiki is a great source, but:

Some scholars working with Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew versions regard the Authorized Version as an inferior English translation of the Bible. For example, New Testament scholar Bart D. Ehrman has written:

The Authorized Version is filled with places in which the translators rendered a Greek text derived ultimately from Erasmus's edition, which was based on a single twelfth-century manuscript that is one of the worst of the manuscripts that we now have available to us![5]

Some suggest that its value lies in its poetic language at the cost of accuracy in translation, whilst other scholars would firmly disagree with these claims. Some of today's exegetes (Walter Brueggemann, Marcus Borg, Warren Carter, James L. Crenshaw, Robert W. Funk, John Dominic Crossan, and N.T. Wright) do not endorse the KJV for Masters or Doctoral-level exegetical work.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

User avatar
i saved latin
Posts: 2805
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Postby i saved latin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:10 pm

FatalWound wrote:
i saved latin wrote:
FatalWound wrote:It's one of the least literal translations

i must be missing something...how have you come to this conclusion?...


I am pretty sure this is widely accepted in the field of religious studies, isn't it? Not that wiki is a great source, but:

Some scholars working with Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew versions regard the Authorized Version as an inferior English translation of the Bible. For example, New Testament scholar Bart D. Ehrman has written:

The Authorized Version is filled with places in which the translators rendered a Greek text derived ultimately from Erasmus's edition, which was based on a single twelfth-century manuscript that is one of the worst of the manuscripts that we now have available to us![5]

Some suggest that its value lies in its poetic language at the cost of accuracy in translation, whilst other scholars would firmly disagree with these claims. Some of today's exegetes (Walter Brueggemann, Marcus Borg, Warren Carter, James L. Crenshaw, Robert W. Funk, John Dominic Crossan, and N.T. Wright) do not endorse the KJV for Masters or Doctoral-level exegetical work.

hmm...i've never heard this in my life so it can't be that well known in the religious fields...


to CO: don't worry man...i just figured it was your liver talking...
"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. "



-Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
CuriousOrgans
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Postby CuriousOrgans » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 pm

i saved latin wrote:
FatalWound wrote:
i saved latin wrote:
FatalWound wrote:It's one of the least literal translations

i must be missing something...how have you come to this conclusion?...


I am pretty sure this is widely accepted in the field of religious studies, isn't it? Not that wiki is a great source, but:

Some scholars working with Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew versions regard the Authorized Version as an inferior English translation of the Bible. For example, New Testament scholar Bart D. Ehrman has written:

The Authorized Version is filled with places in which the translators rendered a Greek text derived ultimately from Erasmus's edition, which was based on a single twelfth-century manuscript that is one of the worst of the manuscripts that we now have available to us![5]

Some suggest that its value lies in its poetic language at the cost of accuracy in translation, whilst other scholars would firmly disagree with these claims. Some of today's exegetes (Walter Brueggemann, Marcus Borg, Warren Carter, James L. Crenshaw, Robert W. Funk, John Dominic Crossan, and N.T. Wright) do not endorse the KJV for Masters or Doctoral-level exegetical work.

hmm...i've never heard this in my life so it can't be that well known in the religious fields...


to CO: don't worry man...i just figured it was your liver talking...


i've heard it before.

there is a difference between religious studies, and a person who is religious.
"I guess you tripped and fell. Then he tripped and fell on to you. Is that what you meant when you said you didn't mean to?"


Return to “Craft Beer Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron