Digital-Analog Converters (DACs)

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

sherpa141

Digital-Analog Converters (DACs)

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:14 am

Do any of you use a DAC to listen to music? Are they worthwhile? Appreciable difference in sound? Any favorites that are relatively inexpensive? Any of you have one that you'd want to sell?

Thanks,

Sherps.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

Mattmon
Site Admin

Re: Digital-Analog Converters (DACs)

Postby Mattmon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Just bought a yahama as501 integrated amplifier which has a Dac. I'll let ya know. Should be here later this week.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:17 am

If you're looking for something cheaper or handheld, I just bought this and I'm very satisfied:

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e5

It was on sale for like $130 (early Black Friday or something?), it's still on sale @ amazon. If you don't want portable but still cheap, I also have the G5 model (no battery) - it's on sale for < $100 @ amazon. It's marketed towards gamers but it sounds great, the driver software is nice because you can save separate profiles for EQ/whatever and switch them on the fly on the device.

If you want something nicer you will probably have to go bigger too, like the A/V receiver Matty ordered. A lot will depend on what you're willing to spend and if it's going to sit at your computer for eternity or if you want it to be portable for your phone, etc.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:23 am

Yeah, wanting something portable that I can use at my computer at work (listening through Sony MDR-7506s) and at home through my stereo. Would also like to be able to run iPod through it, which I guess is kind of limiting because so many of them are USB only, right? Would like to limit it to around $100.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”