Is Chomsky relevant?

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

paulhewson

Is Chomsky relevant?

Postby paulhewson » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:50 pm

I have never read any of his books or listened to him much besides the recent 'debate' with Sam Harris. Is there anything he has said that has remained relevant outside of his work in linguistics?

ansible

Re: Is Chomsky relevant?

Postby ansible » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:31 am

Actually, I'd be interested in an informed answer as well. I never intended to read Chomsky but perhaps I should.
when I was a boy
everything was right

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:50 am

I've always found him fascinating. I've only read "Imperial Ambitions: Conversations on the Post-9/11 World", but I thought it was great.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:42 pm

SkeletonRock wrote:I've always found him fascinating. I've only read "Imperial Ambitions: Conversations on the Post-9/11 World", but I thought it was great.

he is most definitely fascinating. i have spent many hours listening to chomsky lectures and much less time reading his works, but i can say with all confidence that he is a HIGHLY intelligent man with many intriguing and fascinating views. i recommend a place to start:

the film: is the man who is tall happy? directed by michel gondry.

chomsky is, i believe, beyond relevant. he is a voice of reason in a world of jingoism and madness.

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:28 pm

In my search of Chomsky on the internet I came across this review of his book manufacturing consent.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/09/11/bo ... g-consent/

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:49 pm

paulhewson wrote:In my search of Chomsky on the internet I came across this review of his book manufacturing consent.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/09/11/bo ... g-consent/

oh shit. i read about 3/4 of that really long review and just gave up because it was well-written and researched and i'm not of sound mind enough to combat it. my intellect is shot. i like to doodle and write silly poems, you know. i would just say to take in all sources you can and try to form an opinion as best you can. for what? well, i don't know anymore... so you can know that america is not always right and neither are strong, highly intelligent critics of america like chomsky. so nobody is always right, nor am i. the fact is, "my country right or wrong" is an untenable position. nationalism is a fabrication, a wet dream of those who seek to control our minds... once upon a time colonization was a concrete action - now the media and the powers behind them are vying for our minds and we have to be sure that we can think freely for ourselves. this is what i get from chomsky even with his potential shortcomings.

yet we enjoy various (somewhat eroding) freedoms in america perhaps because of our involvements abroad. i don't know how to account for this so i will just take another sip of my whiskey. an open mind is essential. i try to have one whether or not i can trust the elite, sweater-vested counterpoints to the official U.S. narrative sold to us by the media (conservative or not it all ends up propping up the establishment in the end). there's something to be said about the power structures of our world always ending up being reinforced whether through consent or dissent and i think, in the end, Chomsky - who is completely successful and also RICH - is a great example of how dissent can also be used to make someone wealthy and therefore somehow paradoxically reinforce the power structure already in place. i think Foucault has writings on this but i haven't been in college in a while and i only read fiction now so i can't tell you for sure.

anyway, thanks for posting. my mind has been f*cked by that review.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:51 pm

I don’t think Manufacturing Consent does much to solve this problem and explain the real nature of the system. But it certainly illuminates one otherwise-easily-neglected corner of it, and offers a window on some of its tricks and on some of the sins it has to answer for.

this closing quote from that article just about sums it all up... the worthwhileness of Chomsky's general position, I mean.

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”