Charleston shooting

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

paulhewson

Charleston shooting

Postby paulhewson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:19 pm

I am trying to wrap my head around this one. A lot of people trying to push their agenda. Fox says it's an attack on Christians. Bazar says all white Americans are guilty. What's your reaction to this shitty event?

soonersrule07

Re: Charleston shooting

Postby soonersrule07 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 am

Gun culture in America is fucked. Something needs to happen. Massive, nation-wide gun control measures are probably unrealistic and would be ineffective but something has got to change. We cannot allow mass shootings on an almost monthly basis to become the norm.
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:12 am

I agree with that. I tend to lean libetarian on a lot of issues but their general consensus that we should have basically very limited gun control is not a position I agree with. As you imply the problem may have more to do with the culture and how we change that I don't know.

faz

Postby faz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:30 am

Jim Jeffries has the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZFLk5L70MQ

Hilariously funny and, to my British perspective, completely spot on.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:51 pm

[double post] sorry, please read my thoughtful comments below
Last edited by zach2000 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:55 pm

i'm not saying having a psych evaluation for gun purchasers will prevent all mass shootings/gun violence but it will certainly prevent some. the fact is, if someone is hell bent on killing other people they will find a way. the black market for guns is thriving. i knew someone who bought a gun from someone else under the table and in my state this isn't even illegal. now these people were no cause for concern, both have licenses to carry firearms but if you want a gun you will get one. there is certainly no simple solution, but in a world where i can't comfortably buy marijuana to help with my anxiety and depression without the threat of being arrested, yet could go get hopped up on xanax prescribed from my local doctor if i chose to do so (which i don't), i don't see why people should be able to go to a gun show and rack up on assault weapons, especially people on anxiety meds who might be getting off of them some time and then going on a killing spree.

i don't love the film "natural born killers" but its main thematic point is quite relevant to a lot of the baboons who are going on killing sprees these days.

i think we should start with an assault weapons ban and from there go to more extensive background checks. i don't see the psych eval happening anytime soon with the NRA bankrolling so many of our politicians. BUT seriously, the argument that people who want to kill are just going to kill is not a valid argument against trying to control the gun population in some way. the 2nd amendment was intended for well-regulated militias, not for fucking vigilantes who are trying to get on tv.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:57 pm

faz wrote:Jim Jeffries has the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZFLk5L70MQ

Hilariously funny and, to my British perspective, completely spot on.

i wanted to see your video, faz, but it was taken down.

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:47 pm

I used to waffle on this a bit, but the Australian example has convinced me. Maybe the culture closest to ours of any in the world -- I'm convinced that if it worked for them, we could do it too. Confiscate the handguns (with compensation), let the hunters and the ranchers keep their sporting weapons (with permits), and everybody else can go to hell.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”