"How Popular Music’s Lyrics Perpetuate American Idiocy"

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

cubanguy

"How Popular Music’s Lyrics Perpetuate American Idiocy"

Postby cubanguy » Thu May 21, 2015 5:14 pm

http://theantimedia.org/how-popular-musics-lyrics-perpetuate-american-idiocy/

The author of aptly titled Idiot America, journalist Charles Pierce, thoroughly summed up the issue this way: “The rise of idiot America today represents–for profit mainly, but also and more cynically, for political advantage in the pursuit of power–the breakdown of a consensus that the pursuit of knowledge is a good.”
Unfortunately, if the lyrics study is a prognostic omen, the epidemic of idiocy will only get worse.

Thoughts?
"Again I stop the waterfall by just believing"

paulhewson

Re: "How Popular Music’s Lyrics Perpetuate American Idiocy"

Postby paulhewson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:30 pm

“We don’t educate people anymore. We train them to get jobs.”

Bullshit

If only people were getting trained to get jobs.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:54 am

paulhewson wrote:“We don’t educate people anymore. We train them to get jobs.”

Bullshit

If only people were getting trained to get jobs.

As a once-film major, I can tell you that this quote coming from a "film and media studies" professor is not only ignorant but completely honest. She probably does really think that, she just isn't aware of reality.

So while we bemoan our country’s lack of intellectual prowess, it isn’t by a failure of design.

Uh, excuse me? Apparently the American Dream is now graduate high school, get a liberal arts degree, go to grad school for more liberal arts, then when there is no more school to take, live on unemployment and don't pay back your student loans because you can't get a job and have no qualifying skills and oh, you're 30 years old.

It's absolutely failed design, or else we would at least be in the TOP 25 COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD in math, reading, OR science [(link, quick search)]. But we aren't. Our rankings are embarrassing. But hey, they complain about the standardized testing system and then ask media studies professors for their expert opinions. :roll: Design around that...

As an artist whose goal is to eventually live off the profit of my art, I absolutely think that humanities, liberal arts, and social sciences are crucial to our development as a nation and a civilization. I just think most people in these fields are actually subtracting from this development rather than adding to it. It's oversaturated to the point of waste.

As an engineer and qualified professional in several technical fields, it is so completely obvious that we do not have enough people studying math and science, and this is a result of design. It should be harder to get into secondary schools, major emphasis should be placed on technical subjects, and people who go into these fields should be rigorously trained, educated, and paid well. Without a major shift toward math and science, we are boned. People have said this for years, and yet the problem somehow perpetuates itself and seems to get worse, not better.

The problem isn't so much a failure of design as it is designed failure.

This article may be interesting, but in the end it's ultimately a self-proof and therefore ironically accurate in its depiction of "America's idiocy".
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm So Tired Of People That Don't Deserve All These Benefits Getting All Kinds Of Help. But Yet Thier Turning Around Selling Food Stamps & Taking Thier Kids To Daycare Cause They Have Child Care Assistance But Barley Work. I Work My Butt Off But Yet I Get Nothing. The Whole System Is Messed Up. :oops: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:41 am

SHIT YEAH
when I was a boy
everything was right

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 pm

sherpa141 wrote:I'm So Tired Of People That Don't Deserve All These Benefits Getting All Kinds Of Help. But Yet Thier Turning Around Selling Food Stamps & Taking Thier Kids To Daycare Cause They Have Child Care Assistance But Barley Work. I Work My Butt Off But Yet I Get Nothing. The Whole System Is Messed Up. :oops: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

this post made me chuckle.

it's like the people who say, "you know how the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun? A GOOD GUY WITH A GUN!!!!"

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:21 pm

zach2000 wrote:
sherpa141 wrote:I'm So Tired Of People That Don't Deserve All These Benefits Getting All Kinds Of Help. But Yet Thier Turning Around Selling Food Stamps & Taking Thier Kids To Daycare Cause They Have Child Care Assistance But Barley Work. I Work My Butt Off But Yet I Get Nothing. The Whole System Is Messed Up. :oops: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

it's like the people who say, "you know how the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun? A GOOD GUY WITH A GUN!!!!"

I actually haven't heard that variant of that quotation, oddly, so I don't have a lot of context... But I suppose whether that is a valid statement or not depends on whether you assume that the "bad guy" already has said gun and is using it or you assume that you can go back in time and prevent the "bad guy" from ever acquiring said gun.

I always find those kind of mutually exclusive statements ("guns don't kill people, people kill people", etc.) ironic to the point of irrelevant comedy because they oversimplify to the extreme for the sake of a catchy phrase or sound bite.

It's just politics, it isn't logic.
when I was a boy
everything was right

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:20 pm

ansible wrote:
zach2000 wrote:

I actually haven't heard that variant of that quotation, oddly, so I don't have a lot of context... But I suppose whether that is a valid statement or not depends on whether you assume that the "bad guy" already has said gun and is using it or you assume that you can go back in time and prevent the "bad guy" from ever acquiring said gun.

I always find those kind of mutually exclusive statements ("guns don't kill people, people kill people", etc.) ironic to the point of irrelevant comedy because they oversimplify to the extreme for the sake of a catchy phrase or sound bite.

It's just politics, it isn't logic.

true. i'm surprised you haven't heard a variant of that quotation. every time a mass shooting happens, someone says something along those lines. usually some NRA loving right winger.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:27 pm

The only way to stop another mass shooting is to give the kids guns.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:34 pm

sherpa141 wrote:The only way to stop another mass shooting is to give the kids guns.

yes. let's give fetuses guns and then we can be sure their mommas won't go on mass shootings.

timothy

Postby timothy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 pm

This topic reminded me of this quote,

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain."
-- John Adams

Maybe a little irrelevant, whatever.

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”