amplifier for record player

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

paulhewson

amplifier for record player

Postby paulhewson » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:25 pm

so ansible had this post about a record player. was interested in getting the audio technica 120 record player that someone suggested to get in the thread. either that or might get that pro-ject carbon that was also mentioned in the linked article.

so what amplifier would be good to go with this turntable? I don't currently have an amplifier. I just want something simple. Stereo but no surround sound or subwoofer shite.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Re: amplifier for record player

Postby Mattmon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:51 am

I have both the Sherwood RX4109 and Onkyo TX8020 and like them very much. You can get a great 2 channel receiver for pretty cheap now days.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4109- ... wood+phono

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX8020-TX-8 ... onkyo+8020

Had I done it over again I probably would have spent more money and gone with the Onkyo 8050 or Harman Kardon HK 3700 for a bit more juice.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8050-Net ... onkyo+8020

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK- ... n+receiver
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:51 am

I've also heard the project carbons can be hard to set up for new audiophiles. The ATLP120 is pretty easy to set up.

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the recommends. I came across that sherwood in my research. Seems nice and cheap. Is the Onkyo noticeably better?

I have also looked at Marantz and NAD but they are a little more $$. I don't know whether to spend more on a turntable like the carbon and pick up a sherwood or get an audio technica and pick up a onkyo or hk.

I did watch a set up youtube video on the carbon debut and seemed pretty simple unless I am missing something.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:32 am

paulhewson wrote:Is the Onkyo noticeably better?

Hard to say. The sherwood is a steal in my opinion for the price. The Onkyo is probably a little quieter than the Sherwood, but I think it may have slightly better sounding radio etc. It also has the ability to plug in a sub, which the sherwood does not.

I agree that the Pro-Ject looks easy to set up, but it is very finicky. Let me know if you like it. I considered it.

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:11 pm

I have to say this was the most civil discussion of Sherwood in this forum's long life. Time was, a man couldn't come in here all promotional for Sherwood without a bunch of vultures picking the meat from his bones. Time was, a man had to make a series of pseudonymous avatars to come in and promote Sherwood. Time was, we were younger and Sherwood was a forest fire burning. Showing a lot of growth here.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:24 pm

So, I decided that the Phono input in the Onkyo tx8020 is not stellar. I am getting a TCC TC750 external Preamp to see if this will solve the issue. As a whole I like the receiver though. I think the radio and other inputs are pretty great. I'll let you know.

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Mattmon wrote:So, I decided that the Phono input in the Onkyo tx8020 is not stellar. I am getting a TCC TC750 external Preamp to see if this will solve the issue. As a whole I like the receiver though. I think the radio and other inputs are pretty great. I'll let you know.

How did it turn out?

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Well I ended up with the Yamaha AS501 intergrated amplifier and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC. So far only a collection of about 10 records. I don't know what it is but it's so much more satisfying buying a record album in a music store than clicking to purchase some songs on iTunes. Nothing against iTunes but the sort of ritual of choosing a record and listening to it straight through is quite pleasing. Sort of a analogous to appreciating my drip coffee maker but hand grinding my beans a brewing coffee in my chemex is just a more satisfying experience. anyways, enough of that bullshit.

My speakers I dug out of storage don't have as much bass as I remember. They are bookshelf infinity sm65. I am not sure if I should get a sub eventually or some floor standing speakers.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Just purchased:

Nagaoka mp-110 cartridge
ART DJPre phono amp
Cork Mat

I'll let you know when they come on Monday.

Decided against the TC750 after more research.

Jealous of your Pro-Ject if I was starting over now I would go that route for sure.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:29 am

I just wanted to share that these system adjustments have made a HUGE improvement in detail and sound quality.

I highly recommend you give an external preamp a try. From what I've read, they are almost always better than the phono stage in recievers.

Paul, I'm curious if a ART DJPRE could improve your Yamaha. It looks like a gorgeous amp though.

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”