Acoustics

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

paulhewson

Acoustics

Postby paulhewson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:55 am

Right now I am playing he same acoustic guitar I got in highschool. A flaming red cheap Fender dreadnought guitar. It's not too bad but all of the tuners are broken. I picked up a Martin CEO-7 the other day in a music store and was very impressed with it. I don't have 2200 laying around. So what kind of acoustics do you play and recommend?

What is Bazan playing this house tour? I couldn't make out what it said on the headstock last time I saw him.

ansible

Re: Acoustics

Postby ansible » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:00 pm

In general I'm usually too broke to buy a lot of new gear. I splurged on a number of pedals a few years ago when I was setting up my board for the first time but that's really it. I still have the first guitar I ever bought at 17, a Les Paul Studio SmartWood (didn't know that was the model at the time...). I found some pics online, this is basically the exact guitar I bought over ten years ago and still play/perform with regularly. I do love it and its dual humbuckers and I can't bring myself to buy another electric yet.

But I digress, obviously, since you asked about acoustics...

I bought my first acoustic not long after (long story short, I had my father's beautiful old 70's Gibson that I learned to play on for years and now...my brother has it, alas). It was a Seagull Folk, about $450, and it still sounds pretty damn great. I like unfinished wood on my guitars, especially the acoustics, the sound seems to change as the wood ages and oddly a lot of people who play my acoustic really love the way it sounds. Plugged in it's not the same, in my opinion, but the sound is hard to beat otherwise. It looks pretty much like the first image, but the color is much closer to the second:

Anyway, sorry for the images. I can't find anywhere to buy these models anymore so I nabbed these from the intarwebs. I only own these two guitars and I love them a lot.

Seagull is a Canadian company if I'm right but they make all their guitars in North America (if that matters to you...). I've found they seem underrated for the price point and sound quality.

Obviously if you have cash, it's hard to go wrong with a nice Martin or Taylor. If I were to buy another guitar, there was this small-body mahogany Martin acoustic that I saw Dave playing a number of years back that I absolutely fell in love with, and I would buy that if I could. I think it's only like $600-700. It was an awesome guitar.
when I was a boy
everything was right

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:37 pm

I have heard good reviews of the seagulls on guitar forums. Like the Les Paul. Wish I would have bought one like that when I was young and single!

I think Bazan's guitar was an Eastman? anyone confirm that?

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 pm

I got this Guild M20 as my main axe, but I also bought a cheap ass $160 (I think) Fender acoustic in NYC once and it sounds/plays fantastic. I was lucky I guess?

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:49 am

Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:46 pm

My first acoustic was an Ovation. Never buy an Ovation. Then I had a mid-range Alvarez dreadnought, that was pretty nice but I got rid of it when I got my Gibson J-100. In the cheaper end of things, I often recommend seeing if you can track down a Japanese (Nippon Gakki) Yamaha, which was favored by one of the people who taught me a lot about guitar early on. They go pretty cheap, I think.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:51 pm

NEVER BUY AN OVATION? But how could you resist something that looks so sweet, has a lightning fast neck, and was created by the inventor of the double-rotor helicopter blade? Do you hate American ingenuity and amazing companies or something? These things are made to be plugged in ... AND PLAYED. PRO TIP: DON'T JUST PLUG THESE BABIES IN AND LET 'EM SIT THERE -- YOU GOTTA PLAY 'EM! AND THE NECKS WILL NEVER MOVE ON YOU like those other CONFUSING brands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImVDgLearO8
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

DanielFlay

Postby DanielFlay » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:39 am

12 years ago my band won some competition and no-one knew we would get loads of money from it. We'd played about 40 shows in a month and everyone hated eachother, the bassist never spoke to me again and left after the last gig, then the drummer moved abroad somewhere. They sent me a cheque months later and I used the band's money to buy a Taylor 810CE:

Best guitar I ever played for sure but the amp has started to hiss and I can't find anyone to fix it. Plus it's probably really expensive to fix too.

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:49 am

I've played guitar for 23 years and only finally just bought my first acoustic in 2013. I shopped for months before I picked up a used Blueridge at a local shop.
It immediately felt like the right guitar, and it played and sounded better than guitars that were literally 5x its cost.

It was a used Blueridge BR-63 for $430: http://www.sagamusic.com/products/produ ... item=BR-63

Check them out. Don't be scared away by the Chinese manufacturing. They've got wonderful build quality and they look beautiful.

Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 pm

I have 2, one is a zager, one is an ibanez.

zager was about $500 with case, amazing playability and sounds as good as your stupid lil fingers can make it

ibanez came on ebay for 160. does the trick for an acoustic electric.

would highly recommend the zager, got lucky with the ibanez
I got two turntables and a microphone

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”