world cup

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

faz

world cup

Postby faz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:04 am

any of you guys interested in the world cup? seeing as england bombed so early i've pretty much already lost interest!

sherpa141

Re: world cup

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:13 am

So I Was Cleaning My Room Last night & I Found A Bag Of Oreos Under My Pillow.! ‪#‎PregnantProblems‬ ‪#‎Fatty‬
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:39 pm

I've watched the US matches and a few others. I'm a casual soccer fan I guess. That US-Portugal game was a heartbreaker, but we made it to the next round at least.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Thought about watching it, but Ann Coulter talked me out of it.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:45 am

I'm fairly certain that Coulture's whole thing is nothing but a put on. She is a troll of the highest order. She doesn't really seem to have any opinions except whatever would be the most controversial or inflammatory thing she could say at that moment. It's too contrived to be real.

Even though she is a grandiose troll, she's not a particularly convincing one. She's too obvious. She reminds me of the Andrea character from Walking Dead. What choice Andrea was presented with, whatever argument the audience knew Andrea should side with, she ALWAYS picked the wrong one, the one that would infuriate the audience. ALWAYS. Coulture is similar. It's lazy writing and makes the attempt at being edgy appear labored and obvious.

But people fall for it every time and the left and the right alike post her ludicrous headlines on forums and Facebook every single time. The Left does more for Ann Coulture than the right. The right might perk up and applaud her ramblings every now and then, but the left makes her famous. Coulture doesn't care what you believe (she's not a real person). She just wants page clicks and headlines.

Democrats love Anne Coulture. She fits perfectly in the narrative that they like to tell themselves. Not only are the republicans wrong in their policy, but they are actually EVIL. This means that you can tell yourself that not only are you right, you are morally superior.

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm in Rio for the month, producing a nightly show called the Soccer Gods.

http://soccer.fusion.net/

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:00 pm

That's pretty great, Zaccus. I'd never seen the show before, but I took a look at the web site and watched the intro. I was hoping to see you somewhere amongst the crew backstage, but didn't find you.

This is totally unrelated, but isn't it surprising that no one has made a "Play LeBron James off, Keyboard Cat" video utilizing footage of James leaving Game 1 of the 2014 Finals with cramps? I think it was bullshit the reaction he got from internetland, and I was pulling for the Heat in the Finals, but you have to admit this would make an epic Keyboard Cat.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

jac

Postby jac » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:50 am

it's the one time i unabashedly root for the US.
it's also the only time i can say praise god for the US military.
we need to set up more bases in Holland and Spain and Brazil.
maybe Costa Rica, too.

but please, can we find another chant.
the U.S.A. one S.U.C.K.S.

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:51 am

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:44 am

sherpa141 wrote:That's pretty great, Zaccus. I'd never seen the show before, but I took a look at the web site and watched the intro. I was hoping to see you somewhere amongst the crew backstage, but didn't find you.

This is totally unrelated, but isn't it surprising that no one has made a "Play LeBron James off, Keyboard Cat" video utilizing footage of James leaving Game 1 of the 2014 Finals with cramps? I think it was bullshit the reaction he got from internetland, and I was pulling for the Heat in the Finals, but you have to admit this would make an epic Keyboard Cat.

You were rooting for the Heat? What?!

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:27 am

Cmon man, you know my feelings on the Spurs. I have great respect and admiration for the organization, the players, and especially the coach, I've just never had the visceral ability to root for them. And I wanted LeBron to get a three-peat, you know, for his legacy or whatever.

-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:38 am

sherpa141 wrote:Cmon man, you know my feelings on the Spurs. I have great respect and admiration for the organization, the players, and especially the coach, I've just never had the visceral ability to root for them. And I wanted LeBron to get a three-peat, you know, for his legacy or whatever.

Instead of Tim Duncan being like, one of two or three players to ever win the championship in three different decades? And passing Magic Johnson in double-doubles? And...other things I don't know about?

It was pretty satisfying to see the Spurs wipe the Heat with a 15-point spread three games in a row to win it, I have to say.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 am

I don't begrudge Tim his titles; in fact, I'm happy for the Spurs, and think the historical achievements this title represented for the organization (and several of the players) are great for basketball lore. Miami winning probably would have been better for the league, precisely because of how little San Antonio's win means to the casual or passive fan. But again, don't get me wrong -- I absolutely appreciate what this title meant for the legacies of Duncan and Pop, and I think it's probably one of the most profound achievements EVER among North American major professional sports. All that said, I've just never found myself able to root for the Spurs.

-Adam Phillips

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:58 pm

You rooted for the Heat. Eat a bowl of dicks.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I WILL AS SOON AS YOU STOP SUCKING ALL OF THEM

-Adam Phillips

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”