Columbus Day

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

SkeletonRock

Columbus Day

Postby SkeletonRock » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:10 am

So it's Columbus day and I've noticed Facebook is ablaze with Columbus day "trutherz" posting & re-posting the same "OMG DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT COLUMBUS WAS BAD AND HAD SLAVEZ! I HATE HIM".

I'm not pro-Columbus or anything, I just find the air of arrogance and indignance around the whole thing to be rather silly. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the people posting this stuff want to seem so informed and as if they know the real secret history.

I guarantee you that none of the people posting this stuff (at least the ones I know) can point to Syria on a map, or Afghanistan, or probably even most of Europe. They don't know their U.S. representative or where their shoes were made or how much the person who made them was paid or what their living conditions are like.

It seems rather ridiculous to act all outraged by shlt that happened over 5 centuries ago when there is plenty of global politics and imperialism happening, you know, RIGHT NOW.

ansible

Re: Columbus Day

Postby ansible » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:47 am

In principle I agree with you completely. However, in my experience, it's equally ridiculous when most people act outraged by current events. Inherently stupid people don't become more intelligent by changing the subject.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”