Hey. Whatcha Readin?

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

FatalWound

Hey. Whatcha Readin?

Postby FatalWound » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 pm

We haven't talked books in quite awhile as far as I can recall, except in the context of Kierkegaard recently, so I thought maybe it was time to do that. What have you read in the past... six months, year, whatever is a reasonable interval for your reading rate? Did you like it?

Me:
Hampton Sides - Ghost Soldiers
Really solid popular war history of a part of WWII I hadn't known anything about. Well worth a read.

Don Delillo - Falling Man
This is Delillo's 9/11 novel, in essence. Better than I was expecting, not as good as White Noise though. Might be easier to get into than White Noise, though.

Philip Roth - Sabbath's Theater
I kind of hated everything about this. I'm not even totally sure why I finished it.

Timothy Egan - The Worst Hard Time
This is popular history about the Dust Bowl, mostly set in the Oklahoma panhandle area. His prose gets on my nerves a little bit, but it's a good read anyway if the subject interests you.

Currently working on Brothers Karamazov, with Michael Chabon's latest, Telegraph Ave, on deck.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

paulhewson

Re: Hey. Whatcha Readin?

Postby paulhewson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 am

Anti-Fragile by Nicholas Nassim Taleb
About how some things can benefit from black swans or the unpredicted.

The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver
subheading mentions something about why predictions fail and how some don't fail.

kind of interesting reading both at the same time.

Last non-fiction book I read was World War Z... not that good.

I want to check out the Ghost Soldiers book you mentioned. I don't know anything about WWII either.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

HOLY SHIT, WORLD WAR Z WAS NON-FICTION? MY WHOLE PERSPECTIVE ON SHIT JUST CHANGED>DDD

Has anyone read DeLillo's The Names? It's a better work than White Noise, in my opinion.

paulhewson wrote:Anti-Fragile by Nicholas Nassim Taleb

subheading mentions something about why predictions fail and how some don't fail.

I want to check out the Ghost Soldiers book you mentioned. I don't know anything about WWII either.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 pm

I only have read White Noise and Falling Man, although Underworld and Libra sit on my shelf for the next time I'm feeling ambitious.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

andrewswafford

Postby andrewswafford » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:18 pm

My books are going to seem like boring standards I'm sure, but I'm a literature student hoping to teach high school...so just covering my bases at the moment. I read more than I do most things.

The most enjoyable books I read in the last few months: Absalom, Absalom! and The Bear by William Faulkner, Oral History by Lee Smith, The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (for the third time), Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

Just finished: The Odyssey by Homer. Took me quite a while to get through this one. By the end I was really getting into it though--I especially liked the moral ambiguity of Odysseus's mercilessness in the last chapter. I mostly read this as a prep for Ulysses, which I hope to tackle this summer.

Reading now: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Reading this for a class, I've read it once before on my own. Well travelled, sure, but it's a damn well put together novel. I love the prose style and the potential for queer readings of Nick Carraway.

Also: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger in Spanish. Catcher is not my favorite novel, but Salinger is one of my favorite writers, and I recently picked up some American classics in Spanish in order to hopefully get closer to becoming a fluent Spanish reader. I'm in my 3rd year of Spanish right now and it's getting pretty intense, so this is a fun way to study.

Reading soon: The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. I read this over the summer and really enjoyed it, reading it again for the same class I'm reading Gatsby in. I like Hemingway's style enough, even though I feel like it's been improved and done better by modern writers such as the great McCarthy. I enjoy the gender stuff going on with this novel a lot, too--especially in the character names and the narrator's injury.

I don't have much to add to the Delillo discussion other than I love me some White Noise. Read that and Infinite Jest back to back this summer, it was awesome.

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:21 am

Here's my list:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - just reread all three over xmas break.

Born to Use Mics - This is book on NAS' first record, "Illmatic." It's a great read if you are interested in hip-hop as the various authors try to make the case that this is the best hip-hop record of all time.

Anna Karenina - I love Tolstoy but struggled through this one a bit.

The Tempest - Shakespeare last play and a really good one. (I just taught this to my World Studies classes)

Currently Reading: A collection of Yeats poems. They are fantastic.
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:32 pm

sherpa141 wrote:HOLY SHIT, WORLD WAR Z WAS NON-FICTION? MY WHOLE PERSPECTIVE ON SHIT JUST CHANGED>DDD

Has anyone read DeLillo's The Names? It's a better work than White Noise, in my opinion.

paulhewson wrote:Anti-Fragile by Nicholas Nassim Taleb

Oh fuck me.

mprovojr

Postby mprovojr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Reading:

"Help Thanks Wow" by Anne Lamott
"Mobile First" by Luke Wroblewski
"Boundaries" by Henry Cloud and some other guy (yeah, yeah, yeah. cheesy christian non-fiction. i don't care what you say, i have my reasons for reading this.)
"Simply Christian" by N.T. Wright
"The Mobile Book" by Smashing Magazine
"Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales" by.. Brothers Grimm, I guess.
I'm surprised this place still exists.

andrewswafford

Postby andrewswafford » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Gonna try to read Moby Dick to keep up with an online book club. Not sure how well that's going to work out considering the reading load I already have, but I'm hoping I can finish it.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 pm

The only book worth reading, you heathen fucks!

/thread.

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 am

andrewswafford wrote:Gonna try to read Moby Dick to keep up with an online book club. Not sure how well that's going to work out considering the reading load I already have, but I'm hoping I can finish it.

That is probably my favorite book ever. There are some parts that drag a little but overall it's brilliant. There is a free podcast audio version of the book if you want to listen while reading.
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

jeffrey

Postby jeffrey » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm trying to limit myself to only reading one fiction and one non-fiction at a time, since normally I am reading like 10 books at once and I never finish anything.

Fiction: The Once and Future King by TH White, a childhood favorite.

Non-fiction: The Mountains of Saint Francis by Walter Alvarez. About Italian geology and history of geological understanding.

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”