So what's new?

Off-topic discussions

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

numan_the_son

Re: So what's new?

Postby numan_the_son » Tue May 10, 2016 7:30 am

I went surfing at the outer banks last weekend.

noah

Postby noah » Tue May 24, 2016 10:36 am

I directed and edited a 12-episode cooking show for local TV taking place in Scotland, Northern Italy and Southern Italy

Cooking With Angus

My favorite two episodes:
Mozzarella
Loch Leven

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:19 pm

numan_the_son wrote:I went surfing at the outer banks last weekend.

Numan, you were in North Carolina?
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

Full Metal Jacket

Postby Full Metal Jacket » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh hai :D

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi FMJ. Good to see you. I was seriously worried I had driven you away forever. :oops:

Glad you're back.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 am

numan, sherps, FMJ, noah.... I've missed you all. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Also, noah, that is badass. I miss directing...a lot. What are your plans now?
when I was a boy
everything was right

noah

Postby noah » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:14 am

ansi -

The show was paid for by a grant given to our department (media center at a community college). So it was just a temporary, awesome irregularity. Back to normal work productions now. We might get a bit more money to do additional epsiodes though - the donors seemed to be very happy.

What did you direct in the past(?)?

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:48 pm

undertowmusic wrote:1. after 7 years of working in our basement at home, undertow moved into a building in downtown champaign. we went from 600 sq. feet to 1500. finally have room to expand our mail order store, hire interns when we're busy, etc. it's scary to have to pay rent every month. But it's great to have some room to grow and some separation between my home life and work.

2. i lost about 60lbs since last august. all i did was lower my carbs by cutting out bread and pasta. i feel great.

3. i finally watched all of Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

4. my son figured out that Please, Baby, Please is about a drunk driver killing someone.

5. i figured out that arguing with people on the internet about politics is a waste of time. my life much better now.

6. i helped manage the campaign for a candidate running for Mayor in Champaign. We won! It was an amazing experience.

great to hear from you Bob. Mad Men and Breaking Bad are both amazing shows. Among the best, and they both tell us a lot about where America is right now.

congrats on losing 60 pounds! it's a big achievement.

Politics on the internet... i could go on about that for a while. I live in the south so you can imagine this past week my various feeds have been filled with family and friends extolling the virtues of the 2nd Amendment. i have learned to bite my tongue in recent months. no one changes their minds and in the end it results in them hating me more for being a "commie." so...

i dunno. what do we do about politics? you would think the "information age" would lead to more people being educated, but it has led to more and more people just falling into the groove of whatever infotainment that always appealed to them, thus establishing their biases all the more.

ahh... humans....

we are so simple and pathetic in the end.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:24 pm

I decided to stay home with the kid this summer instead teaching summer school. It was a real good decision. She is super cool.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Mattmon wrote:I decided to stay home with the kid this summer instead teaching summer school. It was a real good decision. She is super cool.

i have a daughter too. she's two and a half now. they really do say the darndest things. little firecrackers!

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14 am

I live in Seattle still. 18 months now.

My wife and I both have really good jobs (in the sense that we enjoy them and we aren't broke), so that's nice.

We just bought a sweet condo and are still moving in.

If you guys are ever in town, say hi.

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:32 pm

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. Posted this somewhere else I think but:

-Living in Pennsylvania since Fall 2012
-Engaged as of this spring, getting married in April 2017
-Dissertation defense Monday
-Postdoc in Providence, RI starting in September

It's been a good couple years. Knock on wood.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:22 pm

I've arrived at the point in my life where I found the big, red RESET button.

I think I've been fairly closed off about this here, but I am chronically ill and have been severely depressed for several years. The fucking medication...well, I won't get too into it. If you are a details person, I have Crohn's disease, and wikipedia will tell you much more about it than I ever want to know. It is uncool, and having to turn off my immune system to stay alive sucks ass. I was diagnosed 5-6 years ago but had symptoms for several years before that while in school. I'm sick enough that basically everything in my life revolves around how shitty I feel in the moment, because I never feel well.

So after years of this and the hopeful (expected?) temporary remission that usually comes around 5 years or so (but didn't), I'm done. Houston is like living in hell. I can't go outside for more than 10 minutes without being wiped out and on the couch for the rest of the day - let alone go outside and take my kid to the park. And my wife, God bless her, has taken the brunt of my depression and apathy for a long time. I always thought I knew what depression was until it happened to me. Not emotionally, but chemically. Some of the drugs I was taking early on had an unavoidable side-effect - six weeks of chemical depression as you wean off them. It was only that experience, really, that helped me recognize (years later) that I had been depressed for a very long time while sick, probably years. Relatively speaking, I'm a thousand times better than I was a year ago; a million times better than two years ago.

And so now, after all of this, I get to start over (mostly). Houston is a terrible place to live if you have my disease - air quality, heat, humidity, pollution, allergens, the list goes on and fucking on. So finally at the recommendation of my doctor, I am packing up my family and getting the fuck out of here. We are moving to Colorado in a few weeks.

I do technical shit with computers to make money, but all I really want to do is write. In case no one knew. I mostly write fiction (and poetry and essays) but that's really all I want to do, make enough money writing to keep writing. I don't even care if it's terrible (that is the biggest lie I've ever written on this board, I am terrified of failure). But I will keep doing it. I asked my company if they would let me work remotely, expecting them to fire me like the morons they are, but they agreed. To be fair, they need me more than I need them. My wife is the one who can survive in corporate America, not me. I'm getting out as soon as I can. And that might have been right now, I almost just gave up my entire career to spend hours a day writing; the last work I published was in NYC ten years ago. But they agreed so I'm going to work remotely until I can just raise my kids and write and spend time with my family. That's all I really want to do.

It's been a long time coming even though I couldn't see it, but I'm about to plant stakes in Fort Collins. By August, it will be done. Everything about the climate in Colorado is a quality of life improvement for me. It's almost like I don't even feel sick sometimes; very odd but very noticeable. The elevation, the dry air, the temperature, everything feels better. I can ride a bike again. I've missed the seasons. The streets are wide. I have no commute. 20 minutes takes me across town, not down the street. God, the traffic. I can't wait to live in a smaller house in a smaller town. I cannot wait to slow my life down.

So...I didn't really mean to burden all of you with my life story. It just kind of spilled out as I started writing about CO. It's cool, I'm not looking for anything. This is the reason I don't have anything like facebook or whatever, I would never post anything like this. But I feel a real loyalty to this place, and I trust the people here. If you ever wondered why I love this board...well. If I took the time to go back over this I'd probably delete the whole sappy thing, but it feels good to write it down, and I don't want to get self-conscious by thinking too much about it.

So, the RESET button is taking me to Fort Collins. Nothing is packed and I'm more stressed than I've ever been in my life.

Everything is as good as it could possibly be.
when I was a boy
everything was right

jac

Postby jac » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:42 am

Wishing you all the best, man. Glad you are feeling better. I hope that upward trajectory continues. Not knowing you, except in the context of this board, it is tough to know what else to say, but to say nothing seems absurd. I hope Fort Collins works out. I hope you can publish. I hope you can enjoy your family and find peace and contentment. I've really appreciated your faithfulness to this board, even when the rest of us have flaked out.

At times like this I sort of miss being able to say I will pray for you. It seemed like something one could do when there was nothing to be done. But for what it's worth, I read your post twice, thought about you and tried to imagine your life a little bit, and then sat here wondering what to write. I am genuinely glad for you getting into a better situation and though it doesn't mean much, if anything, I am genuinely wishing good things for you in the new season.

corey

Postby corey » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:21 pm

As bummed as I am to not be able to see you in Houston anymore, I'm more excited about a better quality of life for you.

My sister in law lives in Fort Collins. Beautiful town. I'll holler at you when we visit.

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”