So what's new?

Postby Mattmon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:49 am

So what's new with everyone?

1. I just got a dog (Boxer)
2. Finishing up my grad program
3. Enjoying my summer off from teaching
4. Getting married in under 100 days
5. reaping the benefits of a bridal shower
6. Reading A Clash of Kings (70% done according to the Kindle)
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

Mike McCusker

Re: So what's new?

Postby Mike McCusker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:59 pm

1. Maine Coon is missing for two weeks. Everyone sad.
2. Biggest deal I have ever negotiated decided this Thursday - $2.5 million to convert empty homes to affordable housing. Work people happy.
3. Close to sealing deal for one of our favourite artists to play our/my 50th birthday/25th wedding anniversary party. Me and Mrs Mc happy.
4. Starting community cinema at work this month. Local community happy.
5. Poor old mum losing it in her care home. Everyone sad again.

andrewswafford

Postby andrewswafford » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:21 pm

1. Broke up with girlfriend of 3 years
2. 95% of the way done with Infinite Jest
3. Working 3 jobs
4. Met new girl I'm interested in
5. Playing my first big show in forever later this month

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

1.) I quit my job I loved of eight years.
2.) I am currently in hair cutting school. It's at one of the best hair styling schools but it's still very difficult. I don't know if i've ever been this stressed out.
3.) My wife works all the time to basically support us, so that's tough.
4.) I have a job at a salon (to sort of get my foot in the door) and could potentially be getting a different, better one soon.
5.) I just finished reading Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. Never read any before. I think I will read Slaughterhouse 5 next, but right now I am reading Zero History by William Gibson.
6.) I'm going to Manchester, Scotland, and Amsterdam in a month. I'm for sure going to hang out with Numan and Mike Mc is being real faggy about committing to hang out with me.
7.) My wife and I are giving serious consideration to leaving Austin. Scary shit.

I'm glad Matty started this thread. I've been checking this thing every day and their are no new posts. I miss you guys. I hope this can spurn on some activity.

Sorry to hear about the break-up, Andrew. Must be something going around. I know of two other dot-orgers who are going through break-ups right now too.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:18 pm

1. I don't think I've told anyone on this forum yet, but a little over a year ago I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. It's been the hardest year of my life. Forced to take more pills a day than I care to mention to keep myself alive. Cannot remember what it was like to feel well or normal. Struggle with taking care of myself well and not "pretending" that I don't have an incurable autoimmune disease. Still occasionally lapse into despair. Fairly certain I have a mild form of the disease that should allow me to live a mostly normal life, but hey, you never know.
2. Got (majorly) promoted to full status as a Database Administrator and they're paying me about market value. I also do sysadmin work for our Linux servers. Two years ago I had never written a SQL statement or a bash script and I have a mechanical engineering degree.
3. Bought a house in the city (SRock, come to Houston). It's great. (And crazy weird.)
4. Been asked to take on a deacon-level position in a church I absolutely love; should happen very soon.
5. My wife also just received insanely high marks in her review and is being promoted in October.
6. My relationship with my father is healing after four years of pain and deliberate destruction at the hands of my parents during their divorce.
7. I started writing again and I hope that I continue. My dream is to be a writer of novels/short stories/essays and be able to support my family through that.
Last edited by ansible on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:41 pm

1.) Recently quit my job at Scholastic Books to stay home with my 4 year old son, believed to have mild autism (like just about every other kid born these days).
2.) My parents moved down to Texas (only 5 minutes away) from Minnesota to be closer to their grandchildren (which has been strange, challenging, and great).
3.) Continuing to write and record tunes with my brother in New York, for our band, Pumpkin Guts.
4.) Got a dog ("Reba"). Our house is slowly turning into a zoo.

SkeletonRock wrote:5.) I just finished reading Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. Never read any before. I think I will read Slaughterhouse 5 next

Prayerfully consider reading Breakfast of Champions next instead...

Ansible: Sorry to hear about the Crohn's. Sincerely hope things get easier.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Ansible,

Sorry to hear about your Cronenberg's disease. I assume that's where you develop a robotic vagina in your stomach and it spits VHS tapes out.

In all seriousness, that sucks. Sorry man. This last few months has been incredibly difficult for me and I get super stressed and down often. But then I think about people I know like RoyGBiv and you that are dealing with stuff and I realize that my struggles aren't nearly as difficult. On an up note, it sounds like many amazing things are happening in your life. Keep that positivity going. Not to sound like a new age step-mother, but I really do believe in positivity and that when you focus on either the negative or positive, you sort of allow those things to happen.

Parmps, I will consider it and I just might do it too. Did you read Cat's Cradle's? What did you think? I thought it was pretty great.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your son. What's your take on that? Do you feel it's legit? I remember when I was a kid, 75% of the kids in my class were diagnosed with attention-deficit disorder and prescribed Ritalin. I was one of them. Luckily my parents took me to a good Dr and he said that that was absolutely insane and that I was acting like a child because I was in fact a child. It seems like these epidemics of disorders go around and they seem to always be well above what they should be statistically. I'm not trying to be insensitive or say that that is the case with your son, I just thought you might have some thoughts on that phenomenon.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Also, congrats on getting married Matty.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:10 pm

SRock: Yeah, there's definitely a lot of overdiagnosing going on with autism (and ADHD). To some degree, I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to that stuff. Like you said, 'kids are kids', and they all have their own little personalities. However, there's definitely something going on (for example, from what I've been reading, autism rates and developmental problems are through the roof in factory towns with high pollution/contamination).

The "experts" at my son's preschool were pretty convinced that he had autism (he's behind in his speech development, and he has some issues with aggression), so we brought him to see a few doctors. They were split, but the ones who seemed the most educated didn't see it as full blown autism (although he does show a few of the symptoms). So we're not quite sure what it is (or if there even is an "it" to diagnose). We actually just had his tonsils and adenoids removed (he had pretty severe apnea, and wasn't getting any real sleep at night) and we cut a few things out of his diet, and since then, he's been improving by leaps and bounds. By the time he starts kindergarten, I'm convinced he'll be fine.

I actually haven't read all of Cat's Cradle yet, but Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse 5 are both excellent.

Also, where are you thinking of moving to? Are you still thinking Portland? You'll be back...

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:53 am

1. Enjoying my summer break from teaching, which started a month later because I decided to teach summer school this year.
2. Just got a new camera; it's a Nikon D300S and it is super rad.
3. I'm currently reading "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy and "Free Pizza For Life" by Chris Johnston. The "Free Pizza..." book is the story behind Plan-It-X Records and Chris' bands like Operation: Chris Clavin and Ghost Mice. It's a really beautiful story of some outcast kids who discover the DIY punk rock scene and a community. I highly recommend it, especially if you have an affinity for the Plan-It-X folk punk bands or were into punk rock in the 1990's. Tolstoy is just a fuckin' genius.
4. My wife and I have joined the YMCA in order to get our bodies in a presentable shape since we are going to Gulf Shores Alabama in a month. My wife also bought us kayaks. She works at REI and got a great deal so we've been going to lake on Sunday mornings and kayaking around for a bit.
5. Other than that, I just ride my Vespa around, take pictures and hang out with my dog while my wife works her two jobs.

Ansible, sorry to hear about that man. And congrats to Mattmon for your upcoming marriage. I love being married.
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 am

Man, sorry to hear about your guys' health issues. I hope everything gets figured out.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

corey

Postby corey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Biggest year of my life.

1. Finally got my Bachelors degree.

2. Got certified to teach.

3. Got a teaching position (5th grade Math/Science) at a school nearby. Have to say bye to the school I've been at for 3 years which I LOVE though.

4. Got Married!

5. Just got back from a badass honeymoon. Big thanks to Caleb for giving us an awesome list of things to do. We did a ton of it for the short time frame we were there.

6. Just moved into a rent house with my bride.

7. Enjoying my summer break with tons of beer, netflix, and off season basketball drama.

corey

Postby corey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Also, Ansible, so sorry to hear about your condition. Wishing you the best. I'm gonna send you a text sometime soon. Mandi and I our excited to hang with y'all sometime soon!

andrewswafford

Postby andrewswafford » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:18 pm

corey wrote:Biggest year of my life.

1. Finally got my Bachelors degree.

2. Got certified to teach.

3. Got a teaching position (5th grade Math/Science) at a school nearby. Have to say bye to the school I've been at for 3 years which I LOVE though.

4. Got Married!

5. Just got back from a badass honeymoon. Big thanks to Caleb for giving us an awesome list of things to do. We did a ton of it for the short time frame we were there.

6. Just moved into a rent house with my bride.

7. Enjoying my summer break with tons of beer, netflix, and off season basketball drama.

Your life sounds pretty fucking awesome right now. Enjoy it dude.

And I would like to put my vote in for Slaughterhouse-5 over Breakfast of Champions. For me, Cat's Cradle straddles Vonnegut's line between silly and serious. Champions jumps all the way into the silly territory (imo) and Slaughterhouse gets more serious but keeps one foot on the line, and is better for it. Champions contains the funniest paragraph I've ever read in a novel though, I think.

undertowmusic

Postby undertowmusic » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:19 pm

1. after 7 years of working in our basement at home, undertow moved into a building in downtown champaign. we went from 600 sq. feet to 1500. finally have room to expand our mail order store, hire interns when we're busy, etc. it's scary to have to pay rent every month. But it's great to have some room to grow and some separation between my home life and work.

2. i lost about 60lbs since last august. all i did was lower my carbs by cutting out bread and pasta. i feel great.

3. i finally watched all of Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

4. my son figured out that Please, Baby, Please is about a drunk driver killing someone.

5. i figured out that arguing with people on the internet about politics is a waste of time. my life much better now.

6. i helped manage the campaign for a candidate running for Mayor in Champaign. We won! It was an amazing experience.
"Your revolution is over. Condolences. The bums lost."

Return to “Craft Beer Talk”