the commander thinks aloud

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

lucky_denvermint

Re: the commander thinks aloud

Postby lucky_denvermint » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:14 am

are these songs not available anywhere? its plain that the songs were recorded. its so old and cool it wouldnt be released anyway. haha, i cant believe they only put samples on myspace, thats so opposite of what the music is in the first place. ill listen to the original music for what it is and who wrote it at that time, not for who owns some recordings (who isnt even the artist) that is wanting to make money and doesnt give a shit about anyone that wants to hear the music. i guess i feel like its like buying books for thirty dollars by an author that died sixty years ago. hoax on you.

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:46 am

Not all of them were recorded. The ones that were are rough cuts. As SRock said, probably never happening.
when I was a boy
everything was right

digory

Postby digory » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:04 pm

not sure if anybody noticed this/has it but commander thinks aloud was released in the Barsuk 15 anniversary celebrations. Don't have it, just saw it on discogs

http://www.discogs.com/Nada-Surf-David- ... se/5045256

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:51 pm

digory wrote:not sure if anybody noticed this/has it but commander thinks aloud was released in the Barsuk 15 anniversary celebrations. Don't have it, just saw it on discogs

http://www.discogs.com/Nada-Surf-David- ... se/5045256

That...is very, very interesting. The only person on this forum who I would guess might have a copy is Mike. Mike, any chance you got a copy of this? D:

I'm also surprised it was given such a limited release, given the seven years of interest in hearing the track... I also wonder if it's any different or had any additional mixing/mastering done... Not sure, this may be a new recording specifically for this release since the previous one was made so many years ago and for a different project. Would pay high dollars to own a copy. This is a valued rug.

If it's still listed as a request on what.cd and hasn't been filled yet, I doubt we will see any form of it surface for a long time unless it's from Bob/Dave.
when I was a boy
everything was right

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 am

I would guess that some of the rights issues that prevented any of this stuff from ever getting released were a lot easier to resolve when talking about a limited run of 75 that is never available to the public at large. Maybe.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:00 pm

This 7-inch was a pretty sweet surprise, especially given that we had no idea what we'd be getting with our Barsuk wristband pre-orders. The fact that it was something I'd been hoping to hear for so long was a hell of a bonus.

There was no download code, so I doubt it'll be easy to find online. I did a turntable-to-computer transfer, but the sound quality of the lathe is far from ideal - lots of crackle, despite my best efforts to clean it up. That said, I'd be happy to share it up if Bob or Dave gives the OK.

- Brad

www.bradleysalmanac.com

AMEason52

Postby AMEason52 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:17 pm

A Nada Surf / Bazan tour would be like... I don't know... The best tour ever? Yeah. It would.

(this is) john.

Postby (this is) john. » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:53 pm

you have my permission to pm me a copy, Brad.

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm

(this is) john. wrote:you have my permission to pm me a copy, Brad.

seconded
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

corey

Postby corey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:58 am

soonersrule07 wrote:
(this is) john. wrote:you have my permission to pm me a copy, Brad.

seconded
thirdeded

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 am

The reason I'm hesitant to pass it along without an official "ok", aside from the obvious omission of a digital download code, is this text that came with the 7-inch...

"This record is hand-made in real time on a 1940's Presto record-cutting lathe. With this style of cutting records, I am embossing on polycarbonate. This means the surface noise, characteristic of an old 78 or 45, may be present throughout the track. [...] Please keep in mind, each record I make is unique. It is made for you. - Analog Ghost"

They're not kidding about the surface noise. It's essentially part of the song. Gives it a spooky, old-timey feel. Not complaining, just saying it was clearly intentional that this not be digitized.

- Brad

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:41 pm

As much as I'd love to hear these tracks, I fully agree with Brad that Dave or Bob should give an official "OK" before they are passed around digitally, even if the download link isn't publicly available. Also just want to say thanks to Brad for even offering to let us hear the tracks if approval is given, and for all the great live shows and tracks he's made available on his site in the past. Bradley's Almanac ftw.
when I was a boy
everything was right

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Don't most of us already, uh, have Dave's version of The Commander Thinks Aloud? Am I wrong about this? Because I definitely have it.

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 pm

FatalWound wrote:Don't most of us already, uh, have Dave's version of The Commander Thinks Aloud? Am I wrong about this? Because I definitely have it.

can't tell if troll
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:59 pm

I've had it for over a year... but I don't think I'm supposed to share it, and I won't. I sort of thought most active forum members had gotten it at the time I got it though...

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”