Church

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

SkeletonRock

Church

Postby SkeletonRock » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:20 am

I have been trying to go to this church for a few months. I can't stand their doctrine or whatever, but I love the people. I think they really care and I really feel like part of a community there. I've really been feeling hope and excitement about being part of a church again. The other day, the pastor gave this sermon where he basically yelled to the audience the whole time and I disagreed with almost everything he said. IT was all about achieving levels of goodness, holiness, and devotion to God. He actually said things like "if you aren't reading the bible everyday, then you aren't devoted to God". A few days later we went to a small-group discussion time. The pastor happens to be in the group we go to. We begin to talk about the sermon and he said he gets mad at people when they don't go to church. He said he knows what's going on with them and they should have been there. Most of the people were talking about how they couldn't imagin missing a sunday and that they would feel so guilty if they did. My wife mentioned, "what if god had something else for you during that time" and they responded with "He wouldn't". They said so many other things more offensive and judgemental than all this and I felt like I was on another planet. It was really discouraging. I don't know where God wants me now, and I doubt you do either. I just wanted to write this down.

afrolightning

Postby afrolightning » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:14 am

wow, that sounds like almost the stereotype of what we all seem to hate here.
maybe God wants to use you and your wife there in some way if you feel like you have such a connection with the people.
That does sound like it could be really dang discouraging though.

My girlfriend came from this lutheran synod who believe that they shouldn't fellowship with anyone outside of their synod. Their church is a pretty crazy one as well. She's been drawn away from it the past few years and has felt a ton of liberation.

sayten

Postby sayten » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:45 pm

bonestone, get out of there. keep your friends but run.
i'm not the devil, i just post that way. (real. milk.)

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:55 pm

don't even keep your friends.

dissassociate!

cek

Postby cek » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:59 pm

Dude!! what in the heck are you doing letting your wife speak in a church meeting?! read your Bible! and tell her to keep quiet!! if she has something to say, she can wait till you get home, and then offer it to you, and you can decide what to do with it. jeeze!

http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistl ... 14_34.html

http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistl ... 14_35.html
song currently in my head: "Stars" Hum

RoyGBiv

Postby RoyGBiv » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:58 pm

^ I just snorted. Good times.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:36 pm

cek wrote:Dude!! what in the heck are you doing letting your wife speak in a church meeting?! read your Bible! and tell her to keep quiet!! if she has something to say, she can wait till you get home, and then offer it to you, and you can decide what to do with it. jeeze!

http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistl ... 14_34.html

http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistl ... 14_35.html

hilarious!

noah

Postby noah » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:02 pm

i feel extremely similiar.

as much as i can i try to go mars hill (www.mhbcmi.org) in grandville michigan. it's the only church i've ever been to that actively pursues a Jesus community in all the right ways.

a couple weeks ago however, i went to the church i grew up in and that my parents go to. this old guy who i've known for a while asked what i was going to school for. i replied audio tech, video and film tech, and new media. he became very disturbed and told me that i needed to pray about that and seriously ask God if thats what i suppose to do - that those pursuits were the fruitcakes of the industry. I walked away. He didn't even let me tell him what i wanted to use it for. (which i shouldn't have to anyway), but it's funny because i plan on using my skills in those areas to create digital media for western european churches who are attempting to reach the young postmodern generation. he had no clue.

i understand bro - try to make it to mars hill someday - you'll never want to leave.

sidenote: i actually think daily bible reading is quintessential to being a devoted follower. not neccessarily not devoted at all however. obviously.

Jai Massee

Postby Jai Massee » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:59 pm

Hey i go to Mars Hill. I'm the guy with the trendy haircut and cool clothes. Oh wait that's everyone at Mars Hill. I sit with my homechurch.

noah

Postby noah » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:18 pm

do you go to college in gr? i ask because it says you're from az.

i lived in gr for about 2 years, i went every week. living in kalamazoo now makes it harder... i miss it.

Jai Massee

Postby Jai Massee » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:26 pm

No, I went to college in Missouri. I just moved to GR about a month a go. It's a nice town. I hear the winters are very warm.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm

noah wrote:i feel extremely similiar.

as much as i can i try to go mars hill (www.mhbcmi.org) in grandville michigan. it's the only church i've ever been to that actively pursues a Jesus community in all the right ways.

a couple weeks ago however, i went to the church i grew up in and that my parents go to. this old guy who i've known for a while asked what i was going to school for. i replied audio tech, video and film tech, and new media. he became very disturbed and told me that i needed to pray about that and seriously ask God if thats what i suppose to do - that those pursuits were the fruitcakes of the industry. I walked away. He didn't even let me tell him what i wanted to use it for. (which i shouldn't have to anyway), but it's funny because i plan on using my skills in those areas to create digital media for western european churches who are attempting to reach the young postmodern generation. he had no clue.

i understand bro - try to make it to mars hill someday - you'll never want to leave.

sidenote: i actually think daily bible reading is quintessential to being a devoted follower. not neccessarily not devoted at all however. obviously.

Yeah, I don't know man. I can't judge anyone, and believe me, I get tired of feeling cautionary around churches and church people. A good friend of mine is a pastor and we spend alot of time together. We talk about everything, and often we talk about God, Christianity, theology, and stuff like that. We don't really do it in an philsophical or academic way, we just talk about what's going on with us and what we are thinking about. As a pastor he has been going to alot of conferences and he listens to alot of sermons on CD and the internet. Recently he has been listening to alot of stuff from that main guy at Mars Hill. I forget his name. He is always at the seminars my friends goes to and he comes back talking about what he said this time. My friend seems to think he's the hottest thing since Dr. James Dobson and goes on and on about how great he is. However, whenever he tries to convey the ideas discuss to me they seem extremist and weird. Now it's true, I haven't heard the guy speak myself, and I'm not claiming that this guy, Mars Hill, or any of it's members are wackos, but from what I've experienced (admittedly, second hand) it really doesn't intrigue me to it.

afrolightning

Postby afrolightning » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:19 pm

it looks like you can listen to his sermons online at their websites if you did want to find out first hand.
mars hill sounds interesting.

letseatpaste

Postby letseatpaste » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:17 am

Isn't Rob Bell the guy at Mars Hill? I've seen a couple of his videos, and they are really good. He's got a good casual manner of speaking, but the important thing is that the ideas he presents are very insightful and thought provoking, and usually I'm left thinking "Wow, I've never thought about it that way but it makes perfect sense."

There's a really good series of audio clips you can listen to that was made at a conference about the "emergent/postmodern/etc" church that's really good. There are five clips, about an hour long each... it's worth it though if you're interested in this kind of stuff. Brian McLaren (author of A New Kind of Christian) is the main speaker, but there are also others that disagree with this "movement" or whatever, but it's a very open, honest discussion. I've listened to the whole thing twice so far.
http://grts.cornerstone.edu/resources/tpoints/fa05

One of the guys is Ed Dobson, who as I understand it is the pastor of the church that planted the Mars Hill church.
Knowledge is power... for real!

meandthesea

Postby meandthesea » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:51 am

Rob Bell is a really cool guy the Nooma short films he did were incredible.
its tiny body is see-through, I caught it swimming inside of you.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”