zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:32 pm

be yourself, dave. i like you.

bluelight

Postby bluelight » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:55 pm

Happiness is a solid and Joy is a liquid

letseatpaste

Postby letseatpaste » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:48 am

There's plenty of other stuff to listen to if I need to scratch the "positive" itch. Dave's got a unique perspective, and he's really really good at writing about the darker stuff. If he wants to keep doing that, I'm fine with it. He's covered some similar ground, but nothing he's done sounds like a retread to my ears. It's not like he's Chubby Checker writing "Let's Twist Again."

Not that I'd be disappointed if his next album was "For Real, It's Really Hard to Find a Friend."
Knowledge is power... for real!

Trickyviking

Postby Trickyviking » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:59 am

I enjoy the formula that Dave sticks to. Just because you write a so called Happy song doesn't mean it's going to put money in your pocket. It's not like you can just say "Hey, I think i'll get a song on the OC." You've got to know people like Joe Simpson.

The topics that Dave writes about are real topics and he's very good at writing about them. Also, I think his voice is refreshing because i can't stand vocal gymnastics. Thus, I will continue to buy each record he puts out. If it comes down to quitting or taking a rest to take care of family, then you have to undersatnd and respect that. If Dave all the sudden switched his writing style to something that was against his own musical integrety then he would probably lose most of his fan base and not gain a new one.

meandthesea

Postby meandthesea » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:03 pm

dude thanks your totally right man, I'm gonna go listen to whole.
its tiny body is see-through, I caught it swimming inside of you.

RoyGBiv

Postby RoyGBiv » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:18 pm

Parmpin wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
I don't consider any of Dave's efforts un-challenged. :? Why does he need to write about something other than what he's inspired to write about? IMO, "challenging" himself to sing about something else would just result in a forced piece of "art," similar to that which we already have plenty of on the radio.

When Dave first started singing about infidelity and murder/blood/guts/etc., I genuinely enjoyed the change of pace. But now it seems that's all he writes about. I agree with Undertow that there is a wide variety of themes/messages in his songs, but it seems like every story takes place in the same setting, with recycled characters. If that's his intention, fine. But I think there's some validity to what Cek is saying about how Bazan often rags on the Christian music industry for pumping out uninspired or formulaic art, while at the same time, one could make an argument that he's done precisely that with his last few albums. Don't get me wrong, overall I still consider myself a fan, but I can't help but roll my eyes sometimes when I hear new songs. Ya catch my cookie?

Yes. And I throw it on the ground on stomp on it.

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:50 pm

meandthesea wrote:dude thanks your totally right man, I'm gonna go listen to whole.

cute. except the albums after whole are not a complete and utter direction reversal. which a "happy" record would be.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

cek

Postby cek » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:31 pm

letseatpaste wrote: "For Real, It's Really Hard to Find a Friend."

:)
song currently in my head: "Stars" Hum

cek

Postby cek » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:41 pm

so if dave does call it quits, or takes time away, what do we think he will do to make money?
i'd say he'll probably run his own day care. otherwise, a mortgage broker at some large mortgage company. clean shaven. suit and tie. getting caught up in the empty fellow employee relationships. oh david.
song currently in my head: "Stars" Hum

Jai Massee

Postby Jai Massee » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:42 pm

Do you think Dave reads this site? It would be nice to hear what he says. Dave, if you're reading, you have gorgeous hair and muscles.

azza

Postby azza » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:47 pm

afrolightning wrote:knowing Dave, he'd probably write a song based on the film Happiness.

i love that movie.

seriously, Pedro rules as it is. I dont think they need to change the style or subject matter at all, it gives the listener more to think about then a song about love or what-not.
if it isnt penetration then it isnt worth a kiss

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:12 pm

I think we're getting off point a little. No one's saying Pedro needs to change (most of us are here because we're fans of the band). But if it's true that Bazan's thinking of calling it quits for financial reasons (which is still yet unconfirmed), it's most likely due to the fact that their music style and lyrics are not very marketable. When Dave Bazan writes a poppy radio/soundtrack friendly melody, he tends to shoot himself in the foot by tacking on lyrics about vaginas or men having their legs torn off by locomotives. Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be singing about these sorts of things (I personally think that a lot of his lyrics are brilliant), but if he wants his band to make any kind of money, he might want to reconsider.... But again, this whole thread is based on a rumor that could turn out to be completely false.

Somebody should ask him during audience Q&A...

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:59 am

Jai Massee wrote:Do you think Dave reads this site?

He does.

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:20 am

Parmpin wrote: but if he wants his band to make any kind of money, he might want to reconsider....

I think you are wrong here. I think making a 'hit' is a very complex thing that goes further than taking references to sex organs out of your lyrics.

Yes, I want PTL to be huge so Dave can have a private jet and all that, but its not going to come by sitting down to write a hit.

meandthesea

Postby meandthesea » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:14 pm

If he does read this site I bet he will laugh for days at this thread I know I have. some random guy shwos up and says pedro is quitting with no backing and you al freak out.
its tiny body is see-through, I caught it swimming inside of you.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”