pedro calling it quits

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:46 am

your friends are annoying.

might i suggest looking for some real friends?

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:32 pm

will you be my friend?

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:35 pm

Will is such a lousy friend.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:54 pm

i'll be your best buddy.

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:46 pm

do we... uh... hug or something now?

awkward

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:51 pm

Grouphug.

cek

Postby cek » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:21 pm

my wife is along the lines of some of your friends. she likes his music, and then there are a few songs of his (both pedro and headphones) that she really likes, but for the most part she doens't really care for his voice, and is annoyed that basically everysong is in someway depressing. i'm not sure whether i care or not, but i do find as each album and song comes out, that, isn't it kind of uncreative to always sing about similar stuff? adultery, murder, failure of some sort? i mean, if some christian band were to sing about how God is able to heal you. and then on the next album they do it again. and then the next album they have two songs about it. and then they do a side-project band, and that album sings about it. people would rip them up for being stupid and uncreative. so a part of me is like, "well, shouldn't i hold pedro to the same standard?" i guess for me, i am annoyed and kind of tired of it, but since i still like his music so much, and the vocal arrangements that he does, and it's so catchy to me in a cool way, that i still will buy his albums and be a fan.

i think i remember him saying once that the dark and depressing stuff is just what comes out. that he can't really write a happy song without it sounding phony. does anyone else remember reading that?
i agree. i think it's way easier to write and sing about negative stuff, than positive. but it can be done, and wouldn't you think that as talented a lyricist as david is, that he could do it. take Secret of the Easy Yoke, that is a cool and down song. but at the end, he adds "peace be still", and then now "in a moment i'm alive again.." and it's sooo good.
am i wrong in thinking that, a really good and cool song, that is lyrically positive, without being corny, deserves more respect and is more impressive, because it's harder and takes more talent?
song currently in my head: "Stars" Hum

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:47 pm

cek wrote:i do find as each album and song comes out, that, isn't it kind of uncreative to always sing about similar stuff? adultery, murder, failure of some sort?

I agree. I'm hoping Dave challenges himself with the next album to sing about something else.

undertowmusic

Postby undertowmusic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:59 pm

adultry, murder, failure, faith, lack of faith, love, death, sex, politics, consumerism... i think that's a pretty wide range of stuff good old Dave writes about. What else worthwhile is there to sing about? he already wrote a song about a big truck.
"Your revolution is over. Condolences. The bums lost."

cek

Postby cek » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:39 pm

undertowmusic wrote:adultry, murder, failure, faith, lack of faith, love, death, sex, politics, consumerism... i think that's a pretty wide range of stuff good old Dave writes about. What else worthwhile is there to sing about? he already wrote a song about a big truck.

"what else worthwhile is there to sing about?"
how about one or some of the many many things that are intensely amazing in this world and in this life. how about sing about love, without it being empty, or deceitful, or unfaithful? honestly at this point, if david were to write about a relationship that was good, that would blow all of his fans away, because it's hard to find a friend has infidelity, control has four songs that include infidelity, achilles heel has infidelity, headphones has infidelity. so right there in four albums, we have seven songs about infidelity. i'm not saying david should just write happy positive stuff. and i'm not saying david shouldn't write about adultery and shitty relationships, or even that he shouldn't write depressive stuff in general. but you list the variety of topics that he sings about, but basically for each song that deals with them, it's all about how terrible they are. i was just being honest with myself, that, like i said in my example, if some christian group, or actually, when christian groups do just deal with the same issue consistently, or convey a similar message or vibe in almost every album or song, we think it's stupid, uncreative, and un-artistic. and if what david is going for, is to only sing about stuff that's negative, or at least has that feel, i'm still going to buy his records, and enjoy them. i'm just wondering and asking questions, that i've wondered if anyone else here has thought about concerning pedro.
song currently in my head: "Stars" Hum

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:52 pm

who wants to hear song about happiness?
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

RoyGBiv

Postby RoyGBiv » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:55 pm

Parmpin wrote:
cek wrote:i do find as each album and song comes out, that, isn't it kind of uncreative to always sing about similar stuff? adultery, murder, failure of some sort?

I agree. I'm hoping Dave challenges himself with the next album to sing about something else.

I don't consider any of Dave's efforts un-challenged. :? Why does he need to write about something other than what he's inspired to write about? IMO, "challenging" himself to sing about something else would just result in a forced piece of "art," similar to that which we already have plenty of on the radio.

afrolightning

Postby afrolightning » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:57 pm

knowing Dave, he'd probably write a song based on the film Happiness.

Parmpin

Postby Parmpin » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:50 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
I don't consider any of Dave's efforts un-challenged. :? Why does he need to write about something other than what he's inspired to write about? IMO, "challenging" himself to sing about something else would just result in a forced piece of "art," similar to that which we already have plenty of on the radio.

When Dave first started singing about infidelity and murder/blood/guts/etc., I genuinely enjoyed the change of pace. But now it seems that's all he writes about. I agree with Undertow that there is a wide variety of themes/messages in his songs, but it seems like every story takes place in the same setting, with recycled characters. If that's his intention, fine. But I think there's some validity to what Cek is saying about how Bazan often rags on the Christian music industry for pumping out uninspired or formulaic art, while at the same time, one could make an argument that he's done precisely that with his last few albums. Don't get me wrong, overall I still consider myself a fan, but I can't help but roll my eyes sometimes when I hear new songs. Ya catch my cookie?
Last edited by Parmpin on Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tyrone

Postby tyrone » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:51 pm

remember happiness is a fish you can't catch

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”