phoenix [01.18.19]

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

sherpa141

Re: phoenix [01.18.19]

Postby sherpa141 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 am

I think my Phoenix package is lost in the mail, so I still haven't listened to the album :/

It's been listed as "in transit to next facility" for five days ... the last facility it was in was Denver, which is a 3-hour drive from here. It's driving me fucking nuts.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 pm

I’ve listened to this album more than any other Bazan related release in years. I just fucking love it. I feel like I did when I first heard WNQ.

Side note: had to miss his recent Chicago date and it crushed me. Just don’t have the time energy to make it out to a show with the current lack of sleep in my house. Two kids is a mutha fucker. Love em to death but they will be the death of me.

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:05 pm

sherpa141 wrote:I think my Phoenix package is lost in the mail, so I still haven't listened to the album :/

It's been listed as "in transit to next facility" for five days ... the last facility it was in was Denver, which is a 3-hour drive from here. It's driving me fucking nuts.

Can we get you some WAVs or FLACs, man? Shoot me a message if you can’t wait any longer.

*Offer only valid for sherpyderps.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 am

Well, apparently I've created a few holes in my memory because I preordered the LP twice. Yeah. I'm a fucking genius with two copies.

sherps, if I had a reallllly big drone...I could probably get it to you. Just a couple peaks and valleys to cross, take a few hours. UPS ain't got shit on me.

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:04 am

I took a break and didn't listen at all last week, just to give myself a chance to breathe... came back to it this week and I'm still enamored with this album.

Can we talk about Model Homes for a second?
Particularly, how the hell does Dave sing and play this bass line simultaneously? This shit is so rhythmically complex!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6er7yLKJLno&t=677s

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:26 am

steelopus wrote:I took a break and didn't listen at all last week, just to give myself a chance to breathe... came back to it this week and I'm still enamored with this album.

Can we talk about Model Homes for a second?
Particularly, how the hell does Dave sing and play this bass line simultaneously? This shit is so rhythmically complex!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6er7yLKJLno&t=677s

yeah dude is the master at doing seemingly impossible vocal/instrument rhythm pairings
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 am

My Phoenix... “But now our home is burning and you don’t have a clue.”

If Dave sings that about Phoenix, what will he say when we get to the Paradise album? :cry: It literally happened.

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm

steelopus wrote:My Phoenix... “But now our home is burning and you don’t have a clue.”

If Dave sings that about Phoenix, what will he say when we get to the Paradise album? :cry: It literally happened.

That's likely to become a distinction without a difference over the next few years as basically everything west of the rockies gains a new fifth season called the fires, where everything just sort of smolders for the 10 weeks after Independence Day. I guess my point is we should all be more concerned about when he has to recycle the lyrics to "Indian Summer" to describe the weather in Seattle by the time we get to album 5.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”