Pedro the Lion news

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

corey

Re: Pedro the Lion news

Postby corey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:32 pm

dave wrote:I'm very excited
Ama
This is pretty exciting and I think it's safe to say no one saw this coming.

Are these shows going to be with permanent/semi-permanent members? Or is it going to be more of a rotating, hired guns sort of thing?

Will the writing of the new music be more of a group effort?

Any hints at the sound/style/theme of the next PTL album?

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:45 pm

What is your favorite part of being in a band?

What is your least favorite part of being a solo artist?

Also, I'm so fucking stoked because I was going to see the Brooklyn show already and now it's a PTL show which is awesome.
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I am actually having a hard time processing this because I never thought it would happen. I can't imagine what it's going to be like to see another Pedro show. Except fantastic.

dave

Postby dave » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:42 pm

username wrote:What is it that finally clicked? -Roy

Hey Roy
Couple things.

First, I realized I want to be in a band all the time.
Second, I finally gave myself permission to purposely have a band where I work out all the drum, bass, and guitar parts by myself (to a point) and then have a band learn said parts. Early pedro was largely that way but since 2002 or so I abandoned that way of working for a variety of good seeming reason's that now seem nuts.
shiver me timbers.

(this is) john.

Postby (this is) john. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:50 pm

So is there going to be a tangible difference in the music? Like the way it sounds or the themes or the way it is created? Like will it basically be the next "Bazan" album just with PTL on the cover instead?

Edit: Not that I'm not excited, I guess I'm just wondering if this is more of branding change and/or a mental change for you (Dave) so that you feel like you're a part of something rather than being on your own. Or will it "feel" like a change in the music?
Last edited by (this is) john. on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave

Postby dave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:07 am

corey wrote:
Are these shows going to be with permanent/semi-permanent members? Or is it going to be more of a rotating, hired guns sort of thing?

The continued existence of pedro will not depend on who is in the band. That said, as little rotation as possible

corey wrote:
Will the writing of the new music be more of a group effort?

No. The recording maybe. But I will tend to demo a song pretty thoroughly before bringing to the band

corey wrote:
Any hints at the sound/style/theme of the next PTL album?

Itll be the first of the "towns" albums: Phoenix
shiver me timbers.

dave

Postby dave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 am

ansible wrote:What is your favorite part of being in a band?

I much prefer working under a band name.
I wanna play with a band live all the time.
I have jysr

Shit, falling asleep. More tomorrow
shiver me timbers.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:33 am

Is there a PTL song that hasn't been played live in a long time that you're particularly excited about busting out on stage?
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

cek

Postby cek » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:37 am

Be honest, Dave. Was the decade hiatus simply to try and put enough space between Pedro and Pitchfork, and in the meantime try to get them on board with your solo material so that you could eventually be Pedro The Lion again, but this time with Pitchfork's support?
song currently in my head: "Stars" Hum

dave

Postby dave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:48 am

dave wrote:
ansible wrote:What is your favorite part of being in a band?  

I much prefer working under a band name.
I wanna play with a band live all the time.
I have jysr

Shit, falling asleep. More tomorrow

the definition of being in a band differs from band to band. the solo vs band binary doesn't really get at the complexities of the reality. pedro the lion (a "band") was never like fugazi, for instance, in the sense that fugazi all collaborated and contributed to the songwriting and arranging, way beyond even just writing their own parts to songs that the front person/singer was always the writer of. which it seems to me is more how a band like nirvana worked; cobain wrote all the songs, grohl and novoselic contribute heavily to the writing of their parts and maybe the arrangements once the song was written (i could be wrong about their process, but there are many "bands" who work that way, maybe most bands. but pedro was even different than that for the first three records. i wrote the songs of course but also wrote/performed the majority of the parts on the records. partially out of necessity, partially cause i loved working that way

but all the while i idealized the way that fugazi worked and (maybe a little subconciously) hoped pedro would work like that eventually. i wanted to be on a real team and i couldnt imagine a real and lasting team forming around my "solo" process. so i never valued my original multitrack process as the foundation of the pedro's sound that it was (as well as being my main path to consistently productive creativity). i was always subtley seeking ways to evlove pedro into a real band and was always a little ashamed of what it actually was (what i actually was).

so to answer your question: i prefer my natural process, which is neither solo nor band really.
shiver me timbers.

dave

Postby dave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 am

I just haden't realized all of that til pretty recently
shiver me timbers.

dave

Postby dave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am

cek wrote:Be honest, Dave. Was the decade hiatus simply to try and put enough space between Pedro and Pitchfork, and in the meantime try to get them on board with your solo material so that you could eventually be Pedro The Lion again, but this time with Pitchfork's support?

Good plan, right?
https://g.co/kgs/jci6SD
shiver me timbers.

dave

Postby dave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:21 am

(this is) john. wrote:So is there going to be a tangible difference in the music? Like the way it sounds or the themes or the way it is created? Like will it basically be the next "Bazan" album just with PTL on the cover instead?

Edit: Not that I'm not excited, I guess I'm just wondering if this is more of branding change and/or a mental change for you (Dave) so that you feel like you're a part of something rather than being on your own. Or will it "feel" like a change in the music?

Does this answer your questions at all?
shiver me timbers.

(this is) john.

Postby (this is) john. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:51 am

dave wrote:
(this is) john. wrote:So is there going to be a tangible difference in the music? Like the way it sounds or the themes or the way it is created? Like will it basically be the next "Bazan" album just with PTL on the cover instead?

Does this answer your questions at all?

Yeah, I think I get where you are coming from. Excited to see/hear where you go from here, especially since you seem so sure now.

dave

Postby dave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 pm

sherpa141 wrote:Is there a PTL song that hasn't been played live in a long time that you're particularly excited about busting out on stage?

I'm working on a version of slow and steady that rules pretty hard rn. Also been perusing easy yoke to see if I can pull a "fleecing" on it and sing it again
shiver me timbers.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”