Bazan covering The Long Winters/The Long Winters covering Bazan

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

sean.david.smith

Bazan covering The Long Winters/The Long Winters covering Bazan

Postby sean.david.smith » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 am

bazan has covered the commander thinks aloud by the long winters

the long winters have covered second best by bazan [pedro the lion]

both are part of a compilation called sad - barsuk artists covering barsuk artists

its available for $7 via bandcamp

https://barsuk.bandcamp.com/album/sad-a ... r-the-aclu

heres some more info:

Barsuk Records has released 'SAD! (A Barsuk Compilation for the ACLU)', a collection of previously unreleased tracks by Barsuk artists covering other Barsuk artists. Available only on Bandcamp, 100% of the proceeds will go to the American Civil Liberties Union, which works in the nation's courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve individual working rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and the laws of the United States.

“After the election, our staff felt compelled to speak out in defense of the civil liberties of all Americans,” says Grant McCallum of Barsuk Records. “Helping support the crucial work of the ACLU by releasing these new tracks felt like one way we could make a statement and help, and the artists involved were all excited to donate their work”

For more information about the ACLU, visit www.aclu.org

ansible

Re: Bazan covering The Long Winters/The Long Winters covering Bazan

Postby ansible » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Amazing that we only had to wait 10 years for this to be released. FINALLY.

I will probably buy this anyway, but for inquiring minds -

As far as I can tell, this is the same recording of The Commander Thinks Aloud that was completed several years ago (thank you, Dave) and was also released on the Barsuk anniversary 7" - EXCEPT - Dave has added layered vocals at the end to highlight the line "this is all I wanted to bring home." Otherwise I can't hear any differences from the completed track from like around 2013-ish or whenever that was, when all was right with the world for just a moment.

The Long Winters cover of Second Best sounds totally rerecorded, unless I am crazy. I only heard Roderick's version once and I remember it being mostly acoustic guitar and solo vocals, no piano or distortion, etc. It was very interesting (I think Dave said "creepy", cause well, John sounded like a creepster a bit singin' those lyrics), but I am almost positive this is a new recording (relatively speaking, that is).
when I was a boy
everything was right

(this is) john.

Re: Bazan covering The Long Winters/The Long Winters covering Bazan

Postby (this is) john. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:14 am

ansible wrote:EXCEPT - Dave has added layered vocals at the end to highlight the line "this is all I wanted to bring home." Otherwise I can't hear any differences from the completed track from like around 2013-ish or whenever that was, when all was right with the world for just a moment

Yeah, that part is totally new.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”