According to Noisey Article, Bazan Vapes Weed Now

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

zach2000

According to Noisey Article, Bazan Vapes Weed Now

Postby zach2000 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:19 pm

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/david-bazan-spreads-the-word

This is a pretty fun to read article about Bazan. Well done, really. Apparently, Bazan has discovered the joys of marijuana. If it were legal in my state (or if I didn't have to try so hard to get it), I would still smoke weed all the time. It's so helpful to creative types who maybe used to believe in God but don't anymore... haha. Really helps with anxiety and getting those creative juices flowing. Back when I used to smoke I had no trouble feeling inspired to make art or keep my worries in check (at least when I was stoned). Anyway it's been over a year since I've bought any herb, and I can say it was quite the adjustment period, but now I still sit down and draw every day and I also exercise super hard to keep the depression and anxiety at bay as much as possible. And I drink sometimes... but drinking is REALLY stupid. Not that I don't like it. I do. It's just really counter-productive.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting tidbit. His last album was quite possibly his best ever.

ansible

Re: According to Noisey Article, Bazan Vapes Weed Now

Postby ansible » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:14 am

Good article, thanks for posting.

I thought some of his comments about creating art while on/off drugs were interesting. I think performance is an entirely different aspect - he mentioned how he's able to focus and perform better because he isn't distracted by other thoughts, which I think is definitely a valid statement to make.

But I tend to agree with Stephen King. To paraphrase from On Writing, he said something like how artists who use drugs when they create art don't do this because the drugs improve their art (even if they think it does), but because the simple fact of being an artist lends itself towards a personality who is more likely to use drugs. Essentially, creative artists are often naturally inclined to use drugs, but that doesn't make their art better. He's speaking from his own experience with drug abuse and addiction and the novels he wrote while high. There are a few he barely remembers writing. Hemingway drank because his father drank and he was an alcoholic, not because he needed to drink to write well.

I mostly agree with that; I don't think the use of drugs objectively makes art better. I think it can - for specific reasons, like Dave mentioned - but the art comes from the artist, and the artist deals with all that comes along with that art in their own way.
when I was a boy
everything was right

corey

Postby corey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Due to laws, and career, and family/responsibilities it has been almost a decade since I was a part of the hobby we're talking about here

It's ass backwards to me that alcohol is legal over this but I guess that's all I'll get to take the edge off with during the weekend. I miss music combined with this...hobby.

zach2000

Postby zach2000 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:31 pm

ansible wrote:Good article, thanks for posting.

But I tend to agree with Stephen King. To paraphrase from On Writing, he said something like how artists who use drugs when they create art don't do this because the drugs improve their art (even if they think it does), but because the simple fact of being an artist lends itself towards a personality who is more likely to use drugs. Essentially, creative artists are often naturally inclined to use drugs, but that doesn't make their art better. He's speaking from his own experience with drug abuse and addiction and the novels he wrote while high. There are a few he barely remembers writing. Hemingway drank because his father drank and he was an alcoholic, not because he needed to drink to write well.

I mostly agree with that; I don't think the use of drugs objectively makes art better. I think it can - for specific reasons, like Dave mentioned - but the art comes from the artist, and the artist deals with all that comes along with that art in their own way.

i actually agree with you wholeheartedly about how drugs don't actually make one a better artist. practice/technique/stubborn belief in oneself/natural ability are all the ingredients, among others, that make someone a good artist. what i will say is: back when i used to smoke weed a lot, when i sat down to draw or write, the shit just flowed out of me. there was no filter between my thoughts and what i did, no doubts there, much like what Bazan is referring to in this interview.

however, i haven't smoked in a while and i draw better now. i don't get that high feeling anymore, which is really one of a kind, but i get more out of drawing now because i have to try harder. as far as getting high is, i loved it, and i try to attain that feeling naturally now, via such activities as jogging for long distances and cycling among other things... i can say, it's so much easier and more efficient to just smoke. but, yeah... in the end that becomes just another crutch.

i'm sure Bazan will work it out to where he doesn't become addicted or overdo it. for his sake i hope he does, because i used weed to avoid real life for a while and when real life came back... well it was a force to be reckoned with. anyone who says, "oh it's no big deal" hasn't had withdrawals or depression related to habitual use. at the same...

the Feds need to remove cannabis from Schedule 1. it makes absolutely no sense to include on the same list as heroin and meth. but this is clearly not a priority for anyone at the top, partially because the DEA and other groups make so much money from prohibition.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”