New Songs/Next Album

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

sean.david.smith

New Songs/Next Album

Postby sean.david.smith » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:38 pm

[quick intro: long time listener/first time poster - i've been a fan of david bazan since seeing pedro the lion at cornerstone circa 'control']

saw bazan last night at a living room show in fort wayne and it was pretty incredible - he played three new songs and talked about his plans for releasing new music in 2017 ... he arrived late due to the time difference between IL and IN and was extremely apologetic - especially to those that may have hired a babysitter for the evening - possibly as a way to make up for it he took a handful of requests from the audience - here's the set list as best as i can remember it - the first three are in correct order and the last song is correct also - all of the new song titles were confirmed by bazan

care [new song]
both hands (over my eyes)
finer points [new song]
people
when they really get to know you they will run
someone elses bet
options
oblivion
trouble with boys
the ballad of pedro and blanco [new song]
little motor

care included the line ''it's not like we're immune to it'' in the chorus

the ballad of pedro and blanco ended with the line ''put down your guitar and go enjoy her'' when i told bazan i misheard it as ''put down your guitar and go and join her'' he mentioned that sounded a bit morbid and he intended it to mean giving music a rest and hanging out with his grandkids

so - NEW MUSIC - he was incredibly excited to talk about his plan for next year after i asked if the new songs that he played would end up on a new album and if it would be released in january - he said since 'blanco' is still relatively new and the Christmas album is coming out next month he is holding off on releasing a new album in january and instead he plans to release three new songs a month every month for 2017 - the plan as of now is to have people subscribe for $36 up front and all of the music will be delivered digitally - he said this is due to problems they ran into with the last monthly series including a waiting game regarding vinyl - he mentioned that the songs will all be available individually for a buck each at the end of the year - the plan is to then cull those thirty six songs down to ten or twelve songs for a new album in early 2018

he also mentioned that the Christmas Bonus EP will be available everywhere and not just on amazon.com - he advised to be patient and that it will be available via suicide squeeze and record stores

he was in a really great mood and is looking forward to taking a break next year to spend more time with his family
Last edited by sean.david.smith on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zach2000

Re: New Songs/Next Album

Postby zach2000 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:22 pm

this is awesome, thanks for posting.

i look forward to any and all new songs. what he is doing, vis a vis doing everything independently and fan-focused, is very cool. other artists do it too, but Bazan is among the best who do. and the last monthly series was just oh so very good. every bit.

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:36 pm

THIRTY-SIX?

Jesus fucking hell I'm lazy.

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 am

Welcome! :) Always glad for new faces around here.

Great info. Haven't heard him talk directly about the newer songs this much yet (I've only heard Care live, it was amazing).

Dave is an ambitious dude though. 3 songs each month in 2017? That's almost twice as many songs as he put out with Bazan Monthly Vols 1 + 2, total, and with no breaks like he took during the Monthly recordings. He either has a lot of songs ready to be recorded or he's going to be very busy.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining....any new music from Dave is always worth the wait. On the flip side, steely, that's a lot of new lyrics to argue over. ;)
when I was a boy
everything was right

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:10 pm

ansible wrote:On the flip side, steely, that's a lot of new lyrics to argue over. ;)

You're already wrong.
Wrong.
Very bad. Tremendously bad.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”