Dark Sacred Night - Xmas album is back?

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

cactusbot

Dark Sacred Night - Xmas album is back?

Postby cactusbot » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:07 pm

This briefly appeared on Bandcamp. A low key track called Long Way Around The Sea.
Release date or announcement next week?

steelopus

Re: Dark Sacred Night - Xmas album is back?

Postby steelopus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:23 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:02 am

Yep. The long-awaited compilation, with new tracks. Can't wait.
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Postby ansible » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:08 am

Although, since this is being released by Suicide Squeeze, do I need to pre-order this bsns from Amazon? Guessing it won't be on the Undertow store? I don't see it on SS either, but you can preorder both vinyls (including limited edition) from Amazon following those links...

Someone must know more...perhaps Bob.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Gipper

Postby Gipper » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:09 pm

1) When/where should a good fan buy this? Is Amazon going to be the only place?

2) Is this a compilation of previous recordings or did any of the songs that had been previously released get re-recorded for this?
* Not a Spambot.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:33 am

I don't know the answer to either question, really, but my understanding is that it's a compilation of several previously recorded Christmas tracks as well as a few that are totally new recordings (like a new Christmas 7" but not a 7"). I don't know for sure, though. The album cover art is gone though. We have a bro helping us out instead.
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Listed here on the Undertow store -

http://undertowstore.com/products/dark-sacred-night?variant=30269787783

But no vinyl option, only CD... Not sure if things are just rolling out slowly or if vinyl will only be available elsewhere.
when I was a boy
everything was right

zaccus

Postby zaccus » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:11 pm

☝️ Vinyl now listed in that link above, and I just got an email about the release.

Also there's a short West coast tour. Excited to see the show in Hollywood Forever.

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:06 am

Undertow is already out of vinyl somehow. Buy here if you want it:

http://store.suicidesqueeze.net/products/dark-sacred-night

That'll teach me to wait to buy...
when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:24 am

From the article posted by bpp - http://www.stubbyschristmas.com/home/a-bazan-bonanza-plus-gaelynn-lea

But wait, there's more! If you were paying attention, you noticed that we said that David has recorded 14 Christmas tracks and the album will include 10. Well, that hardly seems fair, does it? What about those other 4 songs? They never hurt nobody or nothin'. Say hello to your "Christmas Bonus". The "Christmas Bonus", which also releases November 11, is a one-sided 12" white vinyl record featuring the other four Bazan Christmas songs (he's recorded "I Heard The Bells" twice. Well, 3 times, actually, the third being for a "Maybe This Christmas" comp, so I guess that means he's recorded 15 Christmas tracks). The B-side of "Christmas Bonus" features an etching of a wreath (don't try to play it, for goodness sake). And this one is limited to just 1000, with no corresponding CD--although this record, too, comes with a download code. One regret? I wish they'd included "Just Like Christmas" (a Low cover), which David has sung often but never released in physical form.

Dark Sacred Night tracklist:
1. All I Want for Christmas
2. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
3. Away in a Manger
4. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
5. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
6. Jingle Bells
7. Silent Night
8. Long Way Around the Sea
9. O Little Town of Bethlehem
10. Wish My Kids Were Here

Bonus tracklist:
1. The First Noel
2. Say It Isn't Greensleeves (A Change At Christmas)
3. Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel
4. I Heard the Bells On Christmas Day

Amazon link to limited vinyl: https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Night-White-Vinyl-Limited/dp/B01M0RN86D/

Amazon link to bonus 12" with 4 extra tracks: https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Bonus-David-Bazan/dp/B01LZSJ4F4/

Kind of weird that the Bonus 12" with the extra 4 tracks wasn't mentioned in the newsletter email or listed on Undertow store. I hope it's real and exists? Based on the article I assume that's the case...but unfortunate, I would really love to buy these direct from Undertow except this isn't even listed. Guessing they may have (had) limited copies of the vinyl since SS is also releasing it? Not sure. I bought the Christmas Bonus from Amazon on the off chance that I miss out on the sale if there are really only 1000 copies, and it's not for sale anywhere else right now (that I can tell).
when I was a boy
everything was right

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Am I missing something? All of these songs have been previously released.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Mattmon wrote:Am I missing something? All of these songs have been previously released.

I'm sorry, were you talking about Blanco or Dark Sacred Night? ;)

Some of these songs were only previously released on limited 7" singles like 15 years ago. There have been countless requests for a compilation album of the Christmas singles. Now you can buy them digitally and on a CD (and even vinyl again). I'm guessing this is both in response to demand, and for exposure to the majority of Dave's current listening base, since probably almost none of them have heard most of these songs or even knew about them. Kind of like when he released Bazan Monthly, which was much more recent.
when I was a boy
everything was right

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Yes, I've got all the 7s so I was just confused what was new. Old songs in a new format is all. I'm sure the remixed versions will sound much better.
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

ansible

Postby ansible » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:32 am

Mattmon wrote:Yes, I've got all the 7s so I was just confused what was new. Old songs in a new format is all. I'm sure the remixed versions will sound much better.

Nah you're right. At first I thought there were new tracks or at least new recordings. There was a time (many moons ago) when I was buying all I could get my hands on, so I have the old 7s too, but apparently not much has changed, cause here I am rebuying them on vinyl again...
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”