hello all

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

martyackerman

hello all

Postby martyackerman » Wed May 18, 2016 7:21 am

I've been a Bazan fan for a little under ten years now (got hooked on Fewer Moving Parts first) but I've just discovered this forum. Spent some time digging through old posts and I feel like I'm here a decade too late, but I don't understand why--has there ever been a better time to be a Bazan fan?

steelopus

Re: hello all

Postby steelopus » Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 am

martyackerman wrote:...has there ever been a better time to be a Bazan fan?

Nope! I'd say his songwriting is as good as it has ever been, if not the best, and his live performances are definitely the best they've ever been. Dave's voice has never been stronger and his guitar/synth game just continues to get better.

Welcome aboard!

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed May 18, 2016 3:35 pm

martyackerman wrote:I've been a Bazan fan for a little under ten years now (got hooked on Fewer Moving Parts first) but I've just discovered this forum. Spent some time digging through old posts and I feel like I'm here a decade too late, but I don't understand why--has there ever been a better time to be a Bazan fan?

Hey man!

As steely said, Bazan is at the top of his game - no better time to be a fan.

As for the board, well, it's a long story but basically:

1) You'll notice the site is "pedrothelion.org" (which we lovingly refer to as "dot org"), and Pedro the Lion hasn't been an official band in well over ten years. That definitely has limited the amount of new people over time. It's always been a little bit underground, though.

2) Back when the board was super active, things like Facebook either didn't exist or were new and limited to college students, etc. Now there is Facebook and twitter and reddit and instagram and all sorts of other ways/places that people naturally gravitate towards to interact with each other. The "need' for a central BBS like this just isn't there anymore like there was before; back then, this place was where you got new/advance info about shows, albums, store discounts, live show recordings, demos, all sorts of stuff (still is, to a degree). There is less of that now cause Dave can just tweet something and reach ten thousand people instead of however many of us are left here, but the essence of the board lives on.

3) Many people got older and married and had kids (myself included) and the long gap between recent Bazan releases just meant there was less to discuss, so many people have stopped posting. But there are still several of us who visit frequently, and still more who drop in occasionally.

So, welcome to dot org. :) Always glad to see new people around.
when I was a boy
everything was right

martyackerman

Postby martyackerman » Thu May 19, 2016 5:58 am

Thanks for the welcome! That all makes sense. I myself haven't been active on a BBS in 10+ years so I understand how they've fallen out of favor in light of social media. Still, there's something special about finding a dedicate space for a community of folks who want to talk about good music. Especially because I've drifted from all my high school/college buddies who were into Bazan with me, and it's rare that I ask someone "You ever listen to David Bazan?" and get an affirmative response.

Funny story: in college, I had this asshole friend who was in a band and thought he was about to have his "big break" (spoiler alert: he didn't). We went to a Bazan house show with some of our other friends, and this guy (super drunk) goes up to Dave after the show and says "I've recently been offered the chance to be a rock star. Is it worth it?" Watching Dave try to navigate that question without being a dick was both hilarious and commendable. We still make fun of this guy for that whenever we see him.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:38 pm

That story is fucking awesome. :oops: Welcome to dot org. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”