Blanco is great! (and hello)

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

User avatar
noah
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby noah » Fri May 13, 2016 4:38 am

It's been a while since I've visited, but I wanted to stop by and say how much I like the new record. It's really good! So many rich textures and layered sounds coalescing into unique vibes. It also has a certain nostalgia worked in as well - making a great Bazan melancholy hit perfectly. I dig it!

Also, hello. Just a quick update for those who are still around from the 10+ years prior...

Living in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Working at the community college making video production materials. Television spots, promotional materials, instructional aides and live event support. It's nice to be promoting education instead of shitty news stories.

Will be married for 8 years this fall. Expecting our first kiddo this September - a little duder. Excited but also cautiously terrified.

I hope everyone is doing well. I sometimes think of this little community and I do miss it :-)

Mattmon
Site Admin
Posts: 7284
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:25 pm

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby Mattmon » Fri May 13, 2016 5:16 pm

noah wrote:I wanted to stop by and say how much I like the new record. It's really good! So many rich textures and layered sounds coalescing into unique vibes. It also has a certain nostalgia worked in as well - making a great Bazan melancholy hit perfectly. I dig it!


Agreed tunes sound great! Will have to do some A/B comparisons of monthlies and Blanco. Only listened to the LP once because the wife had had enough after one listen.

Vinyl is pretty but a little snap, crackle, poppy. Maybe I'll try putting it through the spin clean. I sometimes question if colored vinyl sounds worse... Probably being overly critical.

Noah, glad all is well. I also have a September baby, but a girl who will be 2! Crazy shit. It feels like just yesterday you and and I were kids drinking brewskis in Bobs backyard and now look at us Aloof parents. Cheers!
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

User avatar
noah
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby noah » Sat May 14, 2016 7:17 am

Interesting about the vinyl. I don't have any colored records myself so never heard any.

Dude, I can't believe you've got a little girly. That's awesome. Any wisdom to pass along? Most people instantly give me unsolicited advice that consists of: "it changes your life." Which is... super obvious? Ha. One thing I have heard that makes sense is advice is pointless. Different parents and different kids means different problems.

Yeah, Bob's backyard, haha. I drove down there with zaccus actually. That was really fun. Funny you say seems like yesterday, seems like ages to me! Perhaps due to all the changes I've experienced since then. I was still pretty green to life back then! Glad you're doing well buddy.

zach2000
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby zach2000 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:06 pm

*deleted because no one here cared*

User avatar
noah
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby noah » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 am

:(

User avatar
ansible
Moderator
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby ansible » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:26 pm

zach2000 wrote:*deleted because no one here cared*


Man, don't be like that. First, because don't give up. Second, because maybe someone does care. Third, because no one responding to what you said isn't a good reason to self-edit, and yeah, there are other good reasons. Trust me; it's ok to be a thread-killer.
when I was a boy
everything was right

User avatar
corey
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Tejas

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby corey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:30 pm

ansible wrote:
zach2000 wrote:*deleted because no one here cared*


Man, don't be like that. First, because don't give up. Second, because maybe someone does care. Third, because no one responding to what you said isn't a good reason to self-edit, and yeah, there are other good reasons. Trust me; it's ok to be a thread-killer.
Shut the fuck up, Ansible.

And I care.

zach2000
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby zach2000 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:37 pm

yeah. i came here excited after purchasing Blanco and somehow my mind lapsed back to the time when this community was thriving. it was a nostalgic misstep on my part. yet, Bazan is doing better than ever it seems. strange incongruity, of course, but I'm happy for him. he deserves it. it's people like us, among others out there, who will keep his music alive for decades to come, especially as we have kids and grow old, as i have had kids and grow older. i'm 30 now. it's strange. but one of the things i always look forward to is new music from this man, who came, like i did, from an Assemblies of God background, and who is, like i am, self-taught. i look up to David Bazan even as i raise my own daughter with the doubts i have as a former Christian.

anyway, i was melodramatic when i deleted that post. i deleted it because i was hoping for some validation i guess (i.e. the only reason i feel secure is that i'm validated by my peers...) it's pretty incredible that even as i descend into my comfort zone of daily life, doing my art, making an existence and trying to impart what little i do know to the next generation, i keep coming back to records like the ones that defined my youthful defiance. some record exec could make a killing with the actual sincerity i am expressing at the moment. but Bazan exists in my head in some kind of strange vacuum where sincerity is still a thing. i may be wrong, i dunno, but i refuse to believe otherwise. my head might explode.

anyway i did a drawing, a hasty somewhat sketchbook rendering, of Mr. Bazan, after and during listening to the new record, which i love because to me it is a tribute to a person that means a lot to me, that in some small way defines my musical identity as hyperbolic as that might sound. and i deleted it (albeit somewhat drunkenly) because i was disappointed that no one replied within 48 hours. that drawing is now here for the eyes who care, and i won't delete it this time because i can handle disappointment. i just expected more from this community (no offense), because i did it with you guys in mind. i know you are as nostalgic about Bazan as i am and as happy with the new record as i am. btw it's really fucking great.

Image

User avatar
ansible
Moderator
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby ansible » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:21 am

Great post. Great poster.

See what I did there? :arrow: :arrow:

Actually that would be pretty cool, if you were able to make that sketch into a limited edition poster or something. Glad you put it back up, man, I regret missing it the first time.
when I was a boy
everything was right

zach2000
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby zach2000 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:58 pm

ansible wrote:Great post. Great poster.

See what I did there? :arrow: :arrow:

Actually that would be pretty cool, if you were able to make that sketch into a limited edition poster or something. Glad you put it back up, man, I regret missing it the first time.


thank you. it was pretty melodramatic of me to delete it. at times i can be petty and also something like a prima donna. most of the time, i'm clear focused all around, as bob dylan said.

anyway, the new album really is great. the song little motor gave me chills and i almost cried the last time i heard it. it brought to mind the depth of feeling that "secret of the easy yoke" conjured up in me a very long time ago in high school when i was still in a praise and worship band for chrissakes.

User avatar
corey
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Tejas

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby corey » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:31 pm

I dig it

Back in the heyday you really would have gotten several responses within 48 hours.

I remember checking this place daily. The golden age.

Thanks again for sharing.

zach2000
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby zach2000 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:58 pm

corey wrote:I dig it

Back in the heyday you really would have gotten several responses within 48 hours.

I remember checking this place daily. The golden age.

Thanks again for sharing.


this was the only internet forum i was ever actively involved in. i don't really know what happened here. i mean, david bazan is doing better than ever. why is this forum not bursting at the seams? it's an interesting question.

and yet, i still come back and check here and hope to see some of those names making posts, yours being one of them.

and sometimes, if you're really lucky, you will see the understated "dave."

zach2000
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby zach2000 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 pm

also i realized after i did this sketch/drawing posted above that Bazan has less hair now than I thought.

I, too, have less hair.

so it goes... down the drain with time. i've been going bald so long i actually don't even care about that aspect of my "look" anymore other than to try to remember to wear sunscreen so i don't get skin cancer (which i will probably get).

User avatar
steelopus
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 pm
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby steelopus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:19 am

zach2000 wrote:...this was the only internet forum i was ever actively involved in. i don't really know what happened here. i mean, david bazan is doing better than ever. why is this forum not bursting at the seams? it's an interesting question...


"Social media" has replaced forums for most people. I don't think it's that Dave has fewer people interested in communicating as much as it's that people have found much easier, albeit less lengthy/thoughtful, means to share their interests.

paulhewson
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:30 am

Re: Blanco is great! (and hello)

Postby paulhewson » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:25 pm

I check thegearpage forum about a 20 to 1 ratio to Twitter/fbook. Some people still love forums.


Return to “David Bazan & PTL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests