Blanco Pre-Order

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

corey

Re: Blanco Pre-Order

Postby corey » Wed May 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Just got mine.

Some asshole scribbled his name on the album cover, but I'm looking forward to playing this soon.

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Thu May 12, 2016 6:44 am

steelopus wrote:My vinyl isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday and I was fine with that until I saw that some of you have already received yours and so now I'm just super angryface. :x

My is scheduled to arrive on Friday but still feel this :x since some of y'all received your order already. It's like I'm 5 years old on xmas eve and my friends opened their gifts already but my dad makes us wait until after reading the story of Jesus' birth on xmas morning before we can open any of our new toys...
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

corey

Postby corey » Thu May 12, 2016 3:02 pm

I'm super interested to hear the thought process behind selecting these songs to be on the album and the sequence.

Nobody's Perfect and Sparkling Water are two of my absolute favorites from the Bazan monthlies.

I'm sure they somehow don't fit with the theme or vibe of Blanco and that I'm just not realizing yet because I haven't listened to the album front to back enough yet.

Also it's been difficult to make my mind hear this as an album, if that makes sense. I played all these tracks a ton mixed in with the other monthlies so they've all kinda been blurred to me. I'm pretty certain this won't be the case after I've played it for a month or so.

It's been a pretty interesting listening experience though. I keep having moments where I wait for a certain song and then realize it's not on the album. And other times I forget one of the tracks is on the album and it pops up and I have a "Oh yeah this is on here, awesome!" moment.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

Also how cool would it be to have the tracks that didn't make it on Blanco show up on another album called Negro?

letmookiedance

Postby letmookiedance » Fri May 13, 2016 7:14 am

I ordered this one on cassette tape because all I was really after was the mp3 album... I don't have a cassette player, so that should be interesting...

ansible

Postby ansible » Fri May 13, 2016 7:35 am

corey wrote:I'm super interested to hear the thought process behind selecting these songs to be on the album and the sequence.

Nobody's Perfect and Sparkling Water are two of my absolute favorites from the Bazan monthlies.

I'm sure they somehow don't fit with the theme or vibe of Blanco and that I'm just not realizing yet because I haven't listened to the album front to back enough yet.

Also it's been difficult to make my mind hear this as an album, if that makes sense. I played all these tracks a ton mixed in with the other monthlies so they've all kinda been blurred to me. I'm pretty certain this won't be the case after I've played it for a month or so.

It's been a pretty interesting listening experience though. I keep having moments where I wait for a certain song and then realize it's not on the album. And other times I forget one of the tracks is on the album and it pops up and I have a "Oh yeah this is on here, awesome!" moment.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

Also how cool would it be to have the tracks that didn't make it on Blanco show up on another album called Negro?

I also feel a bit like this. I am really enjoying Blanco and the track order, actually. However, after listening to some of the monthly tracks in order for so long (years, really), I am surprised a lot because I am anticipating a different song to follow.

I also think the choice of tracks was pretty clutch (of course, there are songs I miss too). There are definitely tracks that would not have worked with the flow of the album as it is - Island/Ocean, Goes On, and Disappearing Ink are all too rock-heavy to put on this mostly beat-synth-slow-guitar album. In fact aside from the added guitars (which sound amazing), most of the tracks are synth-based. Teardrops seems to be the exception on Blanco, but still it's driven by synth/drums, not guitars.

I do wonder if this played into the decision to cut songs like Impermanent Record, which is easily one of the best songs Dave has written, but is also very bass driven, even with the synth overtones. I also wonder if he realized that perhaps some songs couldn't be "improved" on when rerecording, and that limited the track selection. As someone else said, Island/Ocean seems like one of those songs that is already finished, no reason to rerecord it.

Regardless, happy release day everyone. :) These don't come around too often anymore. Feels good.
when I was a boy
everything was right

corey

Postby corey » Sun May 15, 2016 8:15 am

I'm pretty sure my Side A is damaged :(

Getting some terrible noises on it. Cleaned it and everything. Still there.

Side B sounds great though

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:45 pm

This album is really good. We should talk about it more. Why did Dave make this his White Album? Someone Else's Bet will fuck you right up.

Over Again is the most intimate thing Bazan's ever written. Like, make you blush intimate. And it sounds like a Mac DeMarco song. Who would have ever thought Bazan would write a song about sex with his wife that's so intimate it makes you uncomfortable and then he and Yuuki Mathews would record and produce it to where it sounded like a Mac DeMarco song?

As Cormac McCarthy once wrote about women, "We'll run a pair or two down and put the dick to em." Several decades later JR Smith asked, "You trying to get the pipe?"
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Tue May 24, 2016 7:15 am

sherpa141 wrote:This album is really good. We should talk about it more.

This. I'm still processing but I plan to put my thoughts down soon. Blanco deserves much, much more attention and discussion than I originally anticipated.
when I was a boy
everything was right

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:11 am

Did the vitamin in question change from 'D' to 'B'? And did HT convince DB to change "before he winks" to "before he blinks"?
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Thu May 26, 2016 7:45 am

While it's true that Blanco warrants more conversation... the truth is we've been talking about some of these songs for almost 2 years. That hurts my brain a bit.

corey

Postby corey » Fri May 27, 2016 6:51 am

steelopus wrote:While it's true that Blanco warrants more conversation... the truth is we've been talking about some of these songs for almost 2 years. That hurts my brain a bit.
Nothing compared to the Curse Your Branches days

corey

Postby corey » Fri May 27, 2016 6:56 am

corey wrote:Nobody's Perfect and Sparkling Water are two of my absolute favorites from the Bazan monthlies.

This has definitely come together for me as an album after spinning it a ton of times.

It's clear to me why some of the awesome monthly tracks were left off of this. Crazy how some cherry picked one-off tracks can come together with a little re-recording and make a perfect album.

corey

Postby corey » Fri May 27, 2016 7:10 am

sherpa141 wrote:Over Again is the most intimate thing Bazan's ever written. Like, make you blush intimate. And it sounds like a Mac DeMarco song. Who would have ever thought Bazan would write a song about sex with his wife that's so intimate it makes you uncomfortable and then he and Yuuki Mathews would record and produce it to where it sounded like a Mac DeMarco song?
Remember when it was a big deal that Dave hadn't ever written a "love" song?

How many "love" songs has he written since? Because it's quite a few.

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Fri May 27, 2016 11:54 am

sherpa141 wrote:And did HT convince DB to change "before he winks" to "before he blinks"?

That's the myth I'm harboring deep inside so that I can feel like I've contributed to something creative for once in my life.

I really like the record but I have a pretty serious case of demo-itis from the massive plays the monthlies got. But some nice refinements, for sure though. I agree with the sentiment others have expressed that there were stronger individual tracks scattered across the monthlies that didn't make the cut, but I am finding these songs pretty great and still-surprising in this order together. The past couple years have definitely marked a new high water mark for his songwriting and I'm glad that this time capsule of it captures that well, which is really all you can hope for from a record.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

Hyacinth Thrash

Postby Hyacinth Thrash » Fri May 27, 2016 11:57 am

Re-reading my last post I don't think I captured how enthusiastic I am for this record. It's truly great and clearly the product of a thoughtful track selection and ordering process.
#9 in your program, #1 in your heart.

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”