HELLP

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

Mattmon
Site Admin
Posts: 7297
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:25 pm

HELLP

Postby Mattmon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 am

If God made the world
and God makes mistakes
if he made you
and her and me

I won't ask you again I know
I'm no one's friend
As late as it is now
No memory would follow me

Where there's a universe
where you were worth
I'm on the roof
then in the air

I don't need your sympathy
or your HELLP


So this song sounds to me that it is about regret, maybe cheating and dying with those regrets. However, when I look into HELLP all I can find is the syndrome from complications during a pregnancy? So is the death a child's from infidelity?

am i reading into this wrong?

regardless it is tragic on a lot of levels
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

jac
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: there

Re: HELLP

Postby jac » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 am

is that lyric

'where you were worth'
or
'where you were worse'

User avatar
sherpa141
Posts: 4585
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Between Two Rivers
Contact:

Re: HELLP

Postby sherpa141 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

jac wrote:is that lyric

'where you were worth'
or
'where you were worse'


I've been thinking "where you were worse." This seems to make a little more sense based on context. Either way, it's an incomplete thought, as Dude jumps off a building.

I've wondered if it's:

If God made the world
then God makes mistakes
if he made you
and her
and me

In other words, if God created the world, and he also created this trio of people, this is evidence that God errs, because these three individuals are so poorly suited to living any semblance of "the good life" on Earth.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

User avatar
ansible
Moderator
Posts: 1854
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

Re: HELLP

Postby ansible » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:28 pm

sherpa141 wrote:
jac wrote:is that lyric

'where you were worth'
or
'where you were worse'


I've been thinking "where you were worse." This seems to make a little more sense based on context. Either way, it's an incomplete thought, as Dude jumps off a building.

I've wondered if it's:

If God made the world
then God makes mistakes
if he made you
and her
and me

In other words, if God created the world, and he also created this trio of people, this is evidence that God errs, because these three individuals are so poorly suited to living any semblance of "the good life" on Earth.


I agree with this, it's how I originally heard/interpreted the song, but it bears more listening, I think.
when I was a boy
everything was right

jac
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: there

Re: HELLP

Postby jac » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:32 pm

An interpretation for the hellp of it. It is pretty much a real reach on my part, especially the second verse, which i don't really get.
Whatever, it entertained me for a few minutes.

Started with the assumption that it is final lines that illuminate the rest of the backstory.

verse 1. narrator and lady break up. she ends up with best/good friend. This sucks. God sucks, too.

verse 2. narrator suspects unfaithfulness of lady and friend before break up, fed up and done asking for truth, narrator acknowledges his part in the failed relationship and his failing life, realizing no closing that barn door now.

verse 3. if there was a place where narrator’s good friend could be any worse of a friend – narrator would kill self (implied by following lines - friend is trying to remain friend and be sympathetic, etc)

final lines – narrator’s fuck you to the new couple who try to offer sympathy and hellp – the irony being that it is the friend (and lady) who has bought on the pain and thus it is the very condescension of the offer of help itself which contributes further to the hell.

User avatar
corey
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Tejas

Re: HELLP

Postby corey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:47 pm

jac wrote:An interpretation for the hellp of it. It is pretty much a real reach on my part, especially the second verse, which i don't really get.
Whatever, it entertained me for a few minutes.

Started with the assumption that it is final lines that illuminate the rest of the backstory.

verse 1. narrator and lady break up. she ends up with best/good friend. This sucks. God sucks, too.

verse 2. narrator suspects unfaithfulness of lady and friend before break up, fed up and done asking for truth, narrator acknowledges his part in the failed relationship and his failing life, realizing no closing that barn door now.

verse 3. if there was a place where narrator’s good friend could be any worse of a friend – narrator would kill self (implied by following lines - friend is trying to remain friend and be sympathetic, etc)

final lines – narrator’s fuck you to the new couple who try to offer sympathy and hellp – the irony being that it is the friend (and lady) who has bought on the pain and thus it is the very condescension of the offer of help itself which contributes further to the hell.
Good stuff.

I'm enjoying the "open to interpretation" of the song. Dave's last two albums (especially CYB imo) have been some of his best work ever. I love the songs/concepts/lyrics but I really like that upon hearing HELLP I'm having multiple interpretations of it.

Also I think it's "then God makes mistakes" but I could be hearing it wrong...

User avatar
sherpa141
Posts: 4585
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Between Two Rivers
Contact:

Re: HELLP

Postby sherpa141 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

jac wrote:An interpretation for the hellp of it. It is pretty much a real reach on my part, especially the second verse, which i don't really get.
Whatever, it entertained me for a few minutes.

Started with the assumption that it is final lines that illuminate the rest of the backstory.

verse 1. narrator and lady break up. she ends up with best/good friend. This sucks. God sucks, too.

verse 2. narrator suspects unfaithfulness of lady and friend before break up, fed up and done asking for truth, narrator acknowledges his part in the failed relationship and his failing life, realizing no closing that barn door now.

verse 3. if there was a place where narrator’s good friend could be any worse of a friend – narrator would kill self (implied by following lines - friend is trying to remain friend and be sympathetic, etc)

final lines – narrator’s fuck you to the new couple who try to offer sympathy and hellp – the irony being that it is the friend (and lady) who has bought on the pain and thus it is the very condescension of the offer of help itself which contributes further to the hell.


You're good at this stuff.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

jac
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: there

Re: HELLP

Postby jac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 am

i'm pretty sure it is way off base.

can't really make sense of the second verse

last part of the song seems more directed at a god-concept than a person.

User avatar
meandthesea
Posts: 8994
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:25 pm

Re: HELLP

Postby meandthesea » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 am

All,
I spoke to Dave a few days ago, and he confirmed that all of his songs for this project were inspired by and are ultimately about pizza.

hope this helps?
its tiny body is see-through, I caught it swimming inside of you.

User avatar
ansible
Moderator
Posts: 1854
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

Re: HELLP

Postby ansible » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm

jac wrote:An interpretation for the hellp of it. It is pretty much a real reach on my part, especially the second verse, which i don't really get.
Whatever, it entertained me for a few minutes.

Started with the assumption that it is final lines that illuminate the rest of the backstory.

verse 1. narrator and lady break up. she ends up with best/good friend. This sucks. God sucks, too.

verse 2. narrator suspects unfaithfulness of lady and friend before break up, fed up and done asking for truth, narrator acknowledges his part in the failed relationship and his failing life, realizing no closing that barn door now.

verse 3. if there was a place where narrator’s good friend could be any worse of a friend – narrator would kill self (implied by following lines - friend is trying to remain friend and be sympathetic, etc)

final lines – narrator’s fuck you to the new couple who try to offer sympathy and hellp – the irony being that it is the friend (and lady) who has bought on the pain and thus it is the very condescension of the offer of help itself which contributes further to the hell.


ok, my interpretation for no reason at all.

verse 1 - from this verse, i don't think the song can be about a child when dave says "her", it's too dark and accusing, it's not his style. it's about a love triangle. the narrator is talking to his friend about the girl they both love. progression from bad to worst - "if he made YOU and HER and ME" - narrator is chief among the transgressors, friend is least.

verse 2 - the NARRATOR is the cheater. the girl and his friend are/were together. narrator hooks up with woman, damages everything, now irreparable between the three of them - one must go (experienced this. it is real). hence "i won't ask you again" (for forgiveness) / "i know i'm no one's friend" - he's now alienated from both his friend and the girl he love[s|d] - narrator's relationship with both of them is totally shattered, though they may have made amends and continued their relatinoship. "as late as it is now / no memory will follow me" - it's too late to fix things between the narrator and his friend and the woman, and they want to forget him and move on and he knows it and despairs over it.

verse 3 - shift to direct conversation with God as referenced in verse 1. if there's any universe where God is worse than he is now, the narrator doesn't want to live in it. he would rather die than live under the control and rule of a God who makes things worse than they already are. (side note - dave has written about suicide a number of times but "i'm on the roof / then in the air" is probably the most poetic and brilliant couplet so far that can convey so much)

verse 4 - narrator disdains God's claim of understanding and sympathy and rejects any and all offers made - narrator doesn't need help or hell (see CYB for context) and leaves the listener with a sense of despair and passive-aggresive anger and independence, despite all that has gone wrong
when I was a boy
everything was right

User avatar
ansible
Moderator
Posts: 1854
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

Re: HELLP

Postby ansible » Sun May 12, 2013 3:33 pm

So, interesting tidbit that will color comments made so far: Dave did not write these lyrics. He wrote only the last two lines. Matt wrote the rest of the verses.
when I was a boy
everything was right


Return to “David Bazan & PTL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests