overseas

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

ragamuffin

Re: overseas

Postby ragamuffin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 am

I really like this record, upon first listen. Growing up in Dallas, it's great to see some of the One Ton bands working together and I feel that you can hear each person's own sound mixing together in all the songs. I do wish Dave and Will would have sung a little more together but I'm pretty excited about the way it turned out. Any word of a tour in the future?
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

robotsandrecorders

Postby robotsandrecorders » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:48 am

My thoughts so far:

When you have 2 people with such distinctive voices and writing styles, it's hard to truly consider this a new "band" album. With that in mind, I truly enjoy the album so far, I just can't mentally stop thinking of it more of a split album between Will and Dave. Though some songs, "Ghost To Be" and "Redback Strike," I can definitely hear more of a Bazan influence in the guitar/drums.

For those on the fence, with Dave occupying about half of the album, would you purchase an album if Dave put out a split with another artist? Even if you don't quite enjoy Will's tracks, you have a decent EP to listen to. Seems kind of silly to me that you enjoy Dave's work, post on a message board dedicated to his music, but question the need to purchase an album that he worked on. But to each their own I guess.

I do agree that it's enjoyable to hear them sing together on certain tracks, and wish there were more. I remember having that same thought on the Molina/Johnson split as well, sort of that same vibe. (Would totally be thrilled if Dave was contributing to the Molina tribute album by the way...)

meandthesea

Postby meandthesea » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 am

I don't really see how it's a split-album or NOT A BAND any more than...any Pavement record is, per se.

Same band, sometimes a different person is singing lead, and when they are the other singer is backing them up in the band.
its tiny body is see-through, I caught it swimming inside of you.

jac

Postby jac » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 am

My two cents -

It's worth every penny - imo the whole point of an album that brings together several artists is to stretch for a record that doesn't sound like one any of the artists would put out by themselves, but blends the separate parts into a coherent whole. I think this record succeeds in that.

Stand outs - Redback Strike, Old Love (probably my favorite on the first two listens), Lights are Gonna Fall, Down Below (somehow has a TW written feel to me), and Came with the Frame (lyrics make it work for me).

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 pm

HOW THE SHIT IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT "HERE (WISH YOU WERE)"???? :?: :?: :?: :?: :| :mrgreen:

:oops:
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

nrcrast

Postby nrcrast » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:09 am

A lot of Will's tracks seem to be growers to me, but I really like Lights are Gonna Fall.

This is pretty excellent album. It's not groundbreaking, but I really enjoy it. Sounds like these guys just had some fun making music. Really enjoying HELLP and Down Below from Dave. It's strange not hearing Matt's voice over all the Bedhead/TNY type instrumentation.
Talk about the passion

Portnoy

Postby Portnoy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:04 am

I really like the record. Dave's tracks almost sound like Control-Era B Sides. (good thing).

Question: I'm mainly familiar with Will from the Orchestra sessions. Whats up with his "one-hour-to-live-because-i-have-lung-cancer" voice versus how sweet and syrupy he can sound? Is that common on his studio recordings?

I dig it, but its just so different than the live recordings.
"Go back and you're finished" -PR

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:18 am

sherpa141 wrote:HOW THE SHIT IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT "HERE (WISH YOU WERE)"???

I agree, this is a really good song. Musically it reminds me a little bit of "Virginia," which I also like a lot.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Can I haz some lyrics?
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 pm

sherpa141 wrote:HOW THE SHIT IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT "HERE (WISH YOU WERE)"???? :?: :?: :?: :?: :| :mrgreen:

Really great song. However, the line about pizza kind of takes me out of it... not sure why...
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Im pretty sure if MATS posts in a thread it will be to somehow mention Pavement.

Jackson

Postby Jackson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Mattmon wrote:
sherpa141 wrote:HOW THE SHIT IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT "HERE (WISH YOU WERE)"???? :?: :?: :?: :?: :| :mrgreen:

Really great song. However, the line about pizza kind of takes me out of it... not sure why...

I love pizza and find your words to be offensive and hurtful.

corey

Postby corey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Did that video thing that is supposed to show up disappear? I don't think the link on the website for "video" is even there anymore.

(this is) john.

Postby (this is) john. » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:54 pm

on first listen, the record didn't really start for me until the last three or four tracks. i really wanted to like the first six or seven, especially Bazan's songs, but there was just something missing. not that weren't good, they just didn't hit me in anyway.

ansible

Postby ansible » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm

God I love hearing new material from Dave. I have pretty much zero complaints about his tracks, they are amazing. I get caught on things, so sometimes I don't get through an album for a few days because I hear a song and I hit repeat, and I had heard Down Below from the site. So at some point I'll listen to everything in order as it should be. But now I'm going on a walk, on the beach, drinking beer...
when I was a boy
everything was right

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”