A few words

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

booze dog

A few words

Postby booze dog » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Remember when some people didn't like when some other people recorded themselves singing like bufoons then uploaded said recordings to a certain website? Does anyone else thinks it was perhaps a little ridiculous? I just sat back and watched when it was addressed on this board, but it always lingers in the back of my mind how this site has a couple big egos whenever i consider visiting this site.

It reminds me of that David Cross stand-up, when he's talking about George Bush and his war on terrorism, and how it's like a war on jealousy. Eliminating an intangible item, i did not think it was possible, but ya did it. Could it have possibly been the reason this board is dead now? Of course not, but I'm not saying it couldn't have played a role.

bands with undertowbob are rolling over

undertowmusic

Re: A few words

Postby undertowmusic » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 pm

i killed the board?
i don't understand?
"Your revolution is over. Condolences. The bums lost."

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm not sure which thread you are talking about. Is is this one? http://www.pedrothelion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8933&start=420

If so, I'm not realyl sure what you are talking about. It seems like those who posted videos or defended them were being a bit "precious" about the whole thing, while Dave and Bob were pretty professional and reasonable about it. I just read the whole fucking thing looking for something awful and didn't find much. Is there another thread you are talking about?

This one perhaps? http://www.pedrothelion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11102&start=60

Honestly man, I don't really know what you are referring to. It does upset me that this board has seriously waned, but I'm not sure what youtube cover videos have to do with it. I'm glad you are here and posted. I hope you stick around.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:35 pm

In perhaps a related side note, I haven''t seen Gygu lately. The last time he posted I mocked him complaining about getting a BJ. I hope he didn't leave because of that.

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm

undertowmusic wrote:i killed the board?
i don't understand?

It was way cooler before we got inside scoops and free mp3s and stuff. Lets go back to BB (Before Bob)...
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

GyGu

Postby GyGu » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm still here. Just busy lately.

Hope you all are well, and I also have no idea what this thread is about. I'm just glad someone's complaining! ;)

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:50 am

GyGu has nailed the reason for the quiet board. There was always a small number of us and it only takes a couple of people to get busy.

We're all busy people these days I guess.

mprovojr

Postby mprovojr » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:04 am

I think part of it is that online isn't the most productive way of "discussing" topics or communicating/expressing personal issues or whatever. It can certainly happen and there are moments when people are kind and the interactions are beneficial. But eventually the arguing gets old and feels like wasted energy (since there are no real consequences hinging on treating each other with more respect and understanding), so we stop engaging in those conversations (religion, politics, etc.).

And then we just slowly lose interest and only check in randomly to see if there is any new DB news or stumble on a cool video/article/animated-gif/mp3 etc.

That's not to say the people on .org aren't awesome people! I've definitely met a handful of you and it'd be great to get a beer/coffee if you're ever in the Baltimore area, but anyway. I think that's why the board has died down quite a bit, as opposed to any backlash about the youtube issue.
I'm surprised this place still exists.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:54 am

mprovojr wrote:I think part of it is that online isn't the most productive way of "discussing" topics or communicating/expressing personal issues or whatever.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I really disagree. I think this board provides a very unique way to communicate complicated ideas such as faith and politics. It requires that a person sit down and really think about what they want to convey and put effort and thought rather than volume and intensity into their argument.

Also, I think the written format does not allow someone to interrupt you before you are done. Participants are allowed to voice their thoughts and ideas completely before someone responds. This almost never happens in formal debate or casual conversation.

I've said it before, I love this board and I value the opinions and thoughts of the people on here. This board and these people have certainly been influential on me and my personal philosophy.

ansible

Postby ansible » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:23 am

SkeletonRock wrote:
mprovojr wrote:I think part of it is that online isn't the most productive way of "discussing" topics or communicating/expressing personal issues or whatever.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I really disagree. I think this board provides a very unique way to communicate complicated ideas such as faith and politics. It requires that a person sit down and really think about what they want to convey and put effort and thought rather than volume and intensity into their argument.

Also, I think the written format does not allow someone to interrupt you before you are done. Participants are allowed to voice their thoughts and ideas completely before someone responds. This almost never happens in formal debate or casual conversation.

I've said it before, I love this board and I value the opinions and thoughts of the people on here. This board and these people have certainly been influential on me and my personal philosophy.

+1
when I was a boy
everything was right

Jai Massee

Postby Jai Massee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm

I think the reason this board has waned is cause we all grew up. When I started on here I was a 22 year old college student. Now I'm a 32 old married guy with 3 kids and a mortgage. I still love DB. I have two framed posters of his in my office at work. I'm just busy now and a lot fatter. Also when Dave apostated his music just totally lost that Petra/early Audio Adrenaline influence it was so well known for.

In related news, Skeleton I have that come caravans mp3 from Vincent. I'll send it to you tonight.

ansible

Postby ansible » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Jai Massee wrote:I think the reason this board has waned is cause we all grew up. When I started on here I was a 22 year old college student. Now I'm a 32 old married guy with 3 kids and a mortgage. I still love DB. I have two framed posters of his in my office at work. I'm just busy now and a lot fatter. Also when Dave apostated his music just totally lost that Petra/early Audio Adrenaline influence it was so well known for.

In related news, Skeleton I have that come caravans mp3 from Vincent. I'll send it to you tonight.

I've been a part of a number of boards since the turn of the century or so, and actually, now that I really look back on it, they have all died. One split off into a separate board and that hung around for a long time, almost ten years, but I was the young one at those boards and everyone sort of grew up, it's true, people stop posting and they resort to only using facebook and shit like that to keep in touch with people. The message board is itself a dying format, I think, with some exceptions, and now I post at two boards mainly, this and another, plus a third that is still dying a long death. But yeah, I've seen like three or four boards go from super active (especially when based around something discussion-oriented, like a book series) with tons of members and posts to completely dead and gone, to the point where the domain is gone. It's really sad actually. I used to think about it back then and what it would be like and it's exactly like I feared.
when I was a boy
everything was right

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Yeah I think JM nailed it, mostly. My time got increasingly scarce after college, and I got increasingly cautious about what I posted online. I would disagree about Dave's music (Strange Negotiations is second only to Control in my personal rankings) but otherwise, yeah. Also agree that forums are a dying medium.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

mprovojr

Postby mprovojr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 am

SkeletonRock wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I really disagree. I think this board provides a very unique way to communicate complicated ideas such as faith and politics.

But I also wrote:It can certainly happen

Definitely wasn't trying to undermine or invalidate your experience here, Srock! This is the only message board I've ever repeatedly returned to and participated in, so I wasn't trying to bash it or anything!

Good point though, about being able to write out complete thoughts without getting interrupted, etc. I'm quick to forget the value that online communication mediums can have.. There are pros and cons I suppose. The biggest con to online discussions that I was referring to is that in general, people rarely speak with the same level of respect as they would in person. So I've seen discussions get derailed by people's inflammatory remarks and then it ceased to be a discussion of ideas and turned into an argument between people who think they are right and aren't interested in actually listening to the other side's opinion.. Hasn't happened on here in awhile that I can remember, but then again... there haven't been too many religious discussions (and only a few political ones).

But yeah, I suppose the biggest issue is we're all older and busier now.
I'm surprised this place still exists.

allan james

Postby allan james » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 am

ummm... i like Bob.
Freedom Ain't Free

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”