Strange Negotiations

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

User avatar
lovestartsdeath
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Postby lovestartsdeath » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:29 pm

It's a joke!

Obviously, if there is a God, I assume he's got bigger fish to fry.

OMG.

GOD's probably a VEGAN.
"Learn everything, later you will see that nothing is superfluous." - Hugh of Saint-Victor (c.1096–1141)

My Records: http://deadformat.net/tradelist/somethingvinyl

User avatar
gelaBella
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:39 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Postby gelaBella » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:02 pm

lovestartsdeath wrote:It's a joke!

Obviously, if there is a God, I assume he's got bigger fish to fry.

OMG.

GOD's probably a VEGAN.


lol.
GenesisFermin.com
YouTube.com/ladera870

Gela (jel-uh)
-noun
1. Shortened name for Genesis-Angela

User avatar
jpotter
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Postby jpotter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Interesting. I guess I just don't see much difference between singing along with/enjoying (without it bothering me) songs whose authors I might not agree with about everything, and say, repeatedly watching movies that feature violence or some other kind of behavior I disagree with. I don't think it's a good idea for a vigilante to take the law into his own hands, but I love watching Batman movies. (Maybe not the best comparison, but whatever.)

User avatar
lovestartsdeath
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Postby lovestartsdeath » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:53 pm

I guess with belief, or religion in general, there's just a difference.

I don't really sing "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison because it's written about Krishna, not Jesus. But I have heard of youth groups doing that song sans that 'Hare Hare' chants. Go figure.

I love metal but I cannot listen to stuff that is Satanic or mentions imagery that causes me to have nightmares. In the same sense, I could watch a documentary about a Satanic serial killer who murdered humans and was cannibalistic. Different impressions are left in the mind, I guess.

Your Batman example was pretty good.
"Learn everything, later you will see that nothing is superfluous." - Hugh of Saint-Victor (c.1096–1141)



My Records: http://deadformat.net/tradelist/somethingvinyl

GyGu
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Postby GyGu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 pm

lovestartsdeath wrote:I guess with belief, or religion in general, there's just a difference.

I don't really sing "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison because it's written about Krishna, not Jesus. But I have heard of youth groups doing that song sans that 'Hare Hare' chants. Go figure.

I love metal but I cannot listen to stuff that is Satanic or mentions imagery that causes me to have nightmares. In the same sense, I could watch a documentary about a Satanic serial killer who murdered humans and was cannibalistic. Different impressions are left in the mind, I guess.

Your Batman example was pretty good.


Please tell me this is a joke! Please. You can't sing along to a Harrison song? It makes you feel yucky inside or what?

Mattmod, please for the love of all things sane lock this thread.

User avatar
mprovojr
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:47 am
Location: Maryland, US
Contact:

Postby mprovojr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:57 am

Gygu don't be a dick.
I'm surprised this place still exists.

dogma3sixteen
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby dogma3sixteen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:17 am

mprovojr wrote:Gygu don't be a dick.

User avatar
corey
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Tejas

Postby corey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:21 am

I listen to music that I think is good. It doesn't matter what they say, if it's in English, or if there are no lyrics at all.

User avatar
mprovojr
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:47 am
Location: Maryland, US
Contact:

Postby mprovojr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:37 am

another example, for me personally. for whatever reason, it is drilled into my head and I believe it's wrong to use God's name flippantly (a.k.a. "in vain"). it just seems important to God (if it's in the same list of commands as don't murder, don't steal, etc.)... so i don't sing along to Dave singing "you're a goddamn fool" in Wolves. I know they are just words, but for whatever reason—I want to maintain that reverence or something? (which could be completely hypocritical if "taking the Lord's name in vain" is applied to more than just words, but actions as well... and in which case, I'm probably fucked.)

semi-related... how did "Jesus Christ" or "God damn it" become profanity or whatever? Why is God's name the only one we "take in vain"? Why don't we use each other's names in vain? (like, "you're a cekdamn fool" or "Are you kidding me? DAMIEN FUCKING JURADO.")
I'm surprised this place still exists.

dogma3sixteen
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby dogma3sixteen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 am

mprovojr wrote: DAMIEN FUCKING JURADO.")
that's fucking harsh!

User avatar
mrpurplecat
Posts: 870
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:09 am
Location: ecwi

Postby mrpurplecat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:05 am

mprovojr wrote:D****N FUCKING J****O."


Please moderate your language. This is the civilized internet, after all.

User avatar
Johnny Mooseknuckle
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Postby Johnny Mooseknuckle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 am

corey20 wrote:
cek wrote:"I despise my kids, I wish they would die. My wife is a slut, and I want her sister."
I love that tune


As do I. I really think you've inspired me. A song just sprung forth from my soul.

User avatar
mprovojr
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:47 am
Location: Maryland, US
Contact:

Postby mprovojr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 am

mrpurplecat wrote:
mprovojr wrote:D****N FUCKING J****O."


Please moderate your language. This is the civilized internet, after all.


:lol: well-played!
I'm surprised this place still exists.

User avatar
obiwankikobi
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:38 pm
Contact:

Postby obiwankikobi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 am

this thread is giving me flashbacks of high school youth group... fuck.

cek
Posts: 2012
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: seattle, wa

Postby cek » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 am

mprovojr wrote:you're a cekdamn fool


someone's going to hell.
song currently in my head: "Stars" Hum


Return to “David Bazan & PTL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest